2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting  

of  28
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @joevt

sometimes a double chime when switching between Big Sur and Catalina

Normal and seems to happen all the time on my T2 system when switching OSes. It almost seems as though the T2 chip is 'switching' up some settings according to the boot volume. This has previously happened to me on switching between Mojave/HS and Catalina/Mojave. How it'd behave in other security modes may differ though (I usually run in No Security mode, recently moved to Full).

Posted by: @joevt

You can't get old firmware to install by going back to an old OS (unless there's a force option?).

Right. Though if the version checks are the firmware installer, then they should be patchable. Don't have enough knowledge on that. I recall downgrading firmware was a possibility pre-Sierra era. A lot has changed. If you succeed though, in runtime, eficheck may prompt you about outdated/vulnerable firmware.

Posted by: @itsage

I wonder if this is why they brought it back.

I have a feeling it was more cosmetic. But you could set up boot chime on Catalina-era firmware too:

sudo nvram StartupMute=%00

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

joevt and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
themudking
(@themudking)

@fabianring, thank you for the steps for the 2020 13" Coffee Lake.  I followed them and now I am able to plug in my eGPU and run off it successfully as long as I don't cold boot with it connected.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
jinthagerman
(@jinthagerman)

Ive tried to search for this but haven't had much luck so apologies if this has been discussed before. 

I was wondering if there is any appreciable performance advantage having the Thunderbolt controller on die. Are there any benchmark comparisons that show any advantage?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Miguel Sanchez
(@miguel_sanchez)

Just wanted to report a successful build with a 13 inch 2020 MBP with the 10th gen i7 and RX 5700 XT. After several trial and errors, I came upon this website and @andygev35's build and instructions and followed it step by step and have had no issues so far. 

Luckily, cold-plugging and hot-plugging all work completely fine and I am glad since this isn't a personal build but for a family member that I probably would not be able to help with any troubleshooting often. Hopefully there would be no need to update windows for a while.

I'm glad I did not have to mess with any third-party bootloaders or anything of the sort 😀

Working on getting a build page up ^^, will update if anything happens.

EDIT: 8/10/2020

The computer has crashed a couple of times with no BSOD or any message. Event Viewer shows nothing out of the ordinary other than 'The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first'. Currently swapped it with 5600 XT from another build and hoping the laptop, windows installation, or the enclosure are the issue. I feel like it would be easier to get a replacement RMA with the graphics card than the enclosure or the laptop. 

Additionally, the same thing has happened within OSX, though I don't know my way in OSX much to troubleshoot it. 

Cool thing to note: swapping the graphics cards between a cold boot was hassle-free, so far. I didn't have to reinstall or mess around in device manager. Though, if problems do persist I will definitely treat it as a fresh install.

This post was modified 4 days ago

ReplyQuote
Sean Lou
(@sean_lou)

Hi there,

Just got my new Laptop MacBook Pro 13 2020 with 4 TB3. I have a eGPU box, Razer Core X. I also bought a XFX 5700 XT and that works perfectly with macOS. But I still want to use BootCamp to play some games. I spent all day trying to connect these devices in BootCamp...

I met error 12 first and I solved this with this method: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2020-13-macbook-pro-10th4cg-rx-vega-56-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-macos-10-15-4-win10-andygev35/

But eventually I met error 43.

And I don't know what to do cause I tried so many methods to solve this, which includes:

• Using specific version of Windows 10 to install bootcamp

• Disable Windows 10 auto-update (service & group-policy)
  • Every time using DDU in safe mode before trying to install different versions of drivers
  • Disabled those device that should be disabled (FaceTime Camera, 3 PCI Express Root Ports)

• Using offcial latest AMD driver
  • Using latest BootCamp driver from https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/
  • Also tried to use EFI to boot up...

Maybe there're still some ways that I didn't metion above... but I'll reply you guys if you need to confirm them.

And.. I am new to this forum and I may not explain my situation well... Thanks you guys in advance and I hope I can get them running properly... or I can try something new that may solve this?

2020 MacBook Pro 13" (4 Thunderbolts)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM
Razer Core X, XFX 5700 XT 8GB

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Error 43 tends to be power or driver related (well, its pretty vague to be honest) so you may need to run DDU and reinstall drivers.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sean Lou
(@sean_lou)

Posted by: @eightarmedpet

Error 43 tends to be power or driver related (well, its pretty vague to be honest) so you may need to run DDU and reinstall drivers.

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried to use 2 versions of AMD driver, one is the latest version from AMD offcial website, the other one is the BootCamp driver from https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/

Both of them said that installed successfully without any other error during the program running... but it still can't run my 5700 XT properly. Was I supposed to do it over and over again..? Or is there any other better way that I can even try?

ReplyQuote
Sean Lou
(@sean_lou)

Posted by: @sean_lou

Hi there,

Just got my new Laptop MacBook Pro 13 2020 with 4 TB3. I have a eGPU box, Razer Core X. I also bought a XFX 5700 XT and that works perfectly with macOS. But I still want to use BootCamp to play some games. I spent all day trying to connect these devices in BootCamp...

I met error 12 first and I solved this with this method: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2020-13-macbook-pro-10th4cg-rx-vega-56-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-macos-10-15-4-win10-andygev35/

But eventually I met error 43.

And I don't know what to do cause I tried so many methods to solve this, which includes:

• Every time using DDU in safe mode before trying to install different versions of drivers
  • Disabled those device that should be disabled (FaceTime Camera, 3 PCI Express Root Ports)

Maybe there're still some ways that I didn't metion above... but I'll reply you guys if you need to confirm them.

And.. I am new to this forum and I may not explain my situation well... Thanks you guys in advance and I hope I can get them running properly... or I can try something new that may solve this?

Thanks for your guys helping.

I tried to install the fresh Windows 1903 V1 version and follow the guide again and I also successfully made it haha~

ReplyQuote
Miguel Sanchez
(@miguel_sanchez)

Posted by: @sean_lou

• Disabled those device that should be disabled (FaceTime Camera, 3 PCI Express Root Ports)     Iris Graphics?

Does disabling the Intel Iris Graphics do anything? In my case, I had forgotten to do that and nothing worked until I did so. Everything worked even after I re-enabled it.

ReplyQuote
 of  28