2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting

Notifications
Clear all

2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting  

of  30
  RSS

Anton Gladkov
(@anton_gladkov)

Hi guys! I was using my Razer Core X Chroma with 5700 XT on board with my 2018 15'' Macbook Pro just fine. Like absolutely as expected - plug&play, no jokes. 

Now I bought new Macbook Pro 2020 13'', and it also works great, except fact that when I disconnect it once from the eGPU, I need to restart the system, otherwise when I'll reconnect it next time - eGPU will not be seen as a connected device, and if I'll disconnect it again, system crashes, and laptop is going down after a few seconds. So actually at the moment I have only 1 possible way of reconnecting the eGPU - to reboot a system. 

Is it a known behavior on this model of mac or... what could be a problem? Everything is updated software-wise.

Thanks!

2020 Macbook Pro 13'' i7 - 10.15.7
Razer Core X Chroma + AMD 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
chriswelchus
(@chriswelchus)

I've taken the day off work to setup Win 10 with my eGPU to play around with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Unfortunately, I've burned the day, as I'm still left with Error 12...

I've tried:

Latest Windows + DDU + BootCamp Drivers Red (APR & AUG 2020) + EFI & Port Dance

Windows 1903 + Disabling Ports & Updates + DDU + Stock AMD Drivers (Apr 2020) + Delayed Hot Plug

Windows 1903 + Disabling Ports & Updates + DDU + BootCamp Drivers Red (Apr 2020) + Delayed Hot Plug & Port Dance

I've seen some people suggest that changing from Razer Core X to Chroma may help as there's a different TB3 controller, but others who say that doesn't work. Don't want to drop more cash if I don't have to.

I don't see anyone with MBP 13 2020s in the builds database, and also heard that the new chip set may be an issue.

It seems some people are having luck but sadly I have not. Before I give up, wondering if there's anything I may be missing.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 13" 2.0 GHz Ice Lake i5 2020 + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@chriswelchus

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2020-13-macbook-pro-10th4cg-rx-vega-56-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-macos-10-15-4-win10-andygev35/

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
chriswelchus
(@chriswelchus)

@mini-i5, Thanks for the tip. I did come across this, and I misspoke when I said I didn't see ANY 2020 macbooks in the builds database. I should have said, I didn't see any with my combo. I did find the one you referenced and also this one:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2020-13-macbook-pro-10th4cg-rx-5700-32gbps-tb3-prototype-macos-10-15-4-win10-1903-itsage/

Should the model difference (Vega 56 vs. 5700 XT) make a big impact in outcome?

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@chriswelchus

If you read some pages into @andygev35 thread, he later changes to using the RX 5700 XT with his setup.

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Flavio Alvarez
(@flavio_alvarez)

Thanks, I have a similiar config with the nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Super from MSI, and the steps you described worked for me and now I'm using the eGPU under windows without problems.

Posted by: @nenutt

This worked for me

Setup: 

Installed Windows 10 1903 V1 in Boot Camp

Initially computer would not boot if eGPU is plugged in, and if the eGPU is hot-plugged, screen will crash (blue screen)

The following steps worked for me:

1. In Mac Startup Security Utility (cmd+R while booting computer) select 'no security' and 'allow booting from external media'
  2. Turn windows on without eGPU
  3. in Device Manager, disable camera and disable PCI Express Root Port #3 (network connection will not work for a bit)
  4. plug in eGPU (in thunderbolt slot nearer to you), screen flickers for a second but doesn't crash, and shows no errors for the GPU in Device Manager
  5. then enable PCI port #3 and WiFi/network connection will work again. 

Sorry for not being the most experienced with eGPU's and not being able to explain why this works, but wanted to share anyway.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
chriswelchus
(@chriswelchus)

I followed @andygev35's pci.sys steps, but I used mounty (installed via homebrew) to remount the BOOTCAMP drive in read/write and copy over the pci.sys from WIN10 1903 onto my desktop. When I installed the latest WIN10 and updates, I booted back into Mac, copied the pci.sys back into the system32/drivers. When I rebooted back into windows, I got a continuous BSOD during boot with forced reboot.

Any thoughts on why this might be?

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
madmattnz
(@madmattnz)

Hi All

I have a new MacBook Pro 13" i5 (4 x TB ports) with a Razer Core X and a Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 and had been having the Code 12 issue – partly because I had installed the latest version of windows before realising this issue existed. Also, I would like to mention that my bootcamp is on an external SSD drive as my MacBook Pro is a work computer and I wanted to keep Windows totally separate only for gaming use. Elsewhere on this site it advises against this but in my case it didn't seem to be adding to the issue in anyway.

Anyway I followed a process similar to James Bland’s on page 14 of this thread to rectify my issue as follows:

• Install Bootcamp on external SSD – Windows 1903
  • Boot Windows with eGPU plugged into port 0 (next to the tab key)
  • Error is now showing Code 31 (not 12)
  • Disabled Updates
  • Disabled all 3 bottom PCI Express Root Ports and camera
  • DDU in safe mode – click all AMD settings and stop windows updates. Clean no restart then clean again with restart.
  • Installed latest AMD Drivers fro the RX 580 downloaded directly from AMD website. (I think this was the key to the process as I had  always had an error 207 when installing bootcamp Radeon drivers)
  • Disconnect GPU
  • Reboot and hot plug in GPU, code 12
  • Disable Iris Graphics and corrupt screen
  • Hard power off
  • Reboot with eGPU plugged in (in same port as above) and all working!

It has worked pretty much perfectly since although after having re-enabled the camera on boot up it showed the code 12 again. So I disabled the camera, restarted and it worked normally again.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

Macbook Pro 13" 2020 i5 32GB Ram 1TB SSD (4 x TB Ports) / MacOS Catalina / Windows 10 Bootcamp 1903 / Razer Core X / Radeon RX 580

ReplyQuote
Chefkoch
(@chefkoch)

My setup was perfectly running on Windows 1903 v1 since May 24. I could plug&play upgrade from my RX580 to a RX5700 XT, without any problems. Yesterday I installed Big Sur Developer Beta 7 (20A5374g) and after that I was just receiving error 12 in Windows again. In the morning I was on Beta 6 and everything was working like charm. Did not try to reinstall Windows, yet. 

Would be interesting to know if any of the Big Sure Beta guys have similar problems.

EDIT: Did a clean install of Build 2004 and installed everything without pci.sys replacement - error 12

EDIT2: Replaced pci.sys in the existing 2004 install, DDU'd and installed AMD drivers again - error 12

EDIT3: Did a clean install of Build 1903v1 and installed everything - error 12

TODO: Install clean 1903v1 and try, Install clean 2004 + pci.sys replacement and try

2020 13" MacBook Pro (4TB, i5, 16GB) - Razer Core X - AMD RX5700XT - Windows 1903 v1

ReplyQuote
chriswelchus
(@chriswelchus)

Many thanks to @andygev35 and others. I was able to get my Radeon 5700 XT working on my MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake with the latest version of Windows 10, and pieced together all the various messages from related threads into a single step-by-step. Much of this comes from several posts by @andygev35. Hope it's useful to someone!

1. Upgrade to latest MacOS, which will also impact firmware (10.15.6 tested here)
  2. Disconnect eGPU
  3. Use Bootcamp assistant to install Windows 10 1903 V1 with the iso downloaded from here:  https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php
  4. I recommend using Windows 10 Pro if you can.  It has the Group Policy Editor built in (gpedit.msc) with which you can disable automatic Windows updates.
  5. Run gpedit.msc to disable automatic Windows updates.
  6. On the Local Group Policy Editor windows, navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Updates. Click on Configure Automatic Updates.  Click on Edit policy setting to open the Configure Automatic Updates dialog.  On the Configure Automatic Updates dialog, select Enabled in the left pane, in the Options section click on the Configure Automatic Updating Combo Box and in the dropdown list select 2 - Notify for download ....  If followed correctly, this will stop automatic installation of Windows Updates and only notify you that there are updates to install, which of course you don't want to do.
  7. Now you can install the Bootcamp PKG which should already be open and ready for installation.
  8. Boot into Windows.
  9. Reboot into Safe Mode
  10. Go to your device manager.
    1. Disable the FaceTime Camera. 
    2. Disable Intel Iris Plus Graphics. 
    3. Click "View" and select "Devices by Connection".  Scroll down and disable the bottom three PCI Express Root Ports.  **Note** -- This will not disable these ports, but it will disable the Thunderbolt 3 connection to them.  USB functionality will be unaffected.
  11. Download DDU and stock Adrenaline Drivers (20.4.2 tested here)
  12. Go to where you downloaded the DDU application and double-click on it.  This will extract DDU into its own folder.  Go to that folder and double-click Display Driver Uninstaller.  When the settings dialog appears, enable EVERY OPTION under AMD and Nvidia.  MOST IMPORTANTLY, enable "Prevent downloads of drivers from Windows Update" at the bottom.
  13. In "Select Device Type" drop-down, select GPU
  14. In "Select Device" drop-down, select Nvidia.
  15. Select "Clean and DO NOT Restart".  Once complete, don't exit out of DDU.
  16. In "Select Device" drop-down, select AMD.
  17. Select "Clean and Restart".
  18. Once you are back at the desktop following your restart, NOW connect your eGPU to the port CLOSEST TO THE TAB KEY.  Windows will start installing your device with multiple bells and whistles.
  19. Go to where you downloaded the official AMD Adrenalin driver installation package (tested version  20.4.2) and double-click "setup".  This will start the AMD driver installation and will detect your configuration.  Once your configuration is detected, there will be an "Additional Options" drop-down where you'll need to enable the "Factory Reset" option.  Proceed with the install.  Your system will reboot, but keep the eGPU connected.  Once back at the desktop, the AMD driver installation will automatically continue.  Once the driver installation completes your external display should have activated and you should be up and running.
  20. If all goes well, you shouldn't even need to reboot once complete.  Your external display should be on.
  21. At that point I was able to go and re-enable Iris Plus as well as the FaceTime Camera without any issues.
  22. Navigate to Bootcamp/Windows/System32/drivers and drag the pci.sys to somewhere safe. You'll need this file later.
  23. (OPTIONAL) This would be a good time to boot into MacOS and image your bootcamp drive with a tool like WINCLONE.
  24. Run Windows Update until there is nothing else to update. (Cumulative update 2020-09 tested here)
  25. Boot into MacOS
  26. Install Mounty (I prefer via Homebrew) and mount BOOTCAMP drive into read/write mode.
  27. Navigate to Bootcamp/Windows/System32/drivers and overwrite it with the pci.sys file you saved earlier.
  28. Restart into Windows. Once you log in, the eGPU should be reenabled.
  29. Setup Windows just how you like it!
  30. (OPTIONAL) This would be another good time to boot into MacOS and image your bootcamp drive with a tool like WINCLONE.

NOTE #1: I keep the eGPU plugged in during any and all boot/reboot procedures. Sometimes a cold boot will not enable the eGPU and it'll get a code 12, but a simple reboot will fix it.

NOTE #2: If this process does not work, you’ll have to restart from the beginning as reinstalling Adrenalin drivers even after DDU does not seem to work.

he lv liked
ReplyQuote
 of  30