Notifications
Clear all

2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting  

of  30
  RSS

Sid Kang
(@sid_kang)

Posted by: @anton_gladkov

Hi guys! I was using my Razer Core X Chroma with 5700 XT on board with my 2018 15'' Macbook Pro just fine. Like absolutely as expected - plug&play, no jokes. 

Now I bought new Macbook Pro 2020 13'', and it also works great, except fact that when I disconnect it once from the eGPU, I need to restart the system, otherwise when I'll reconnect it next time - eGPU will not be seen as a connected device, and if I'll disconnect it again, system crashes, and laptop is going down after a few seconds. So actually at the moment I have only 1 possible way of reconnecting the eGPU - to reboot a system. 

Is it a known behavior on this model of mac or... what could be a problem? Everything is updated software-wise.

Thanks!

I'm meeting the same issue. At first, everything works great, but from some time, my mac always needs to reboot to plug the EGPU. I'm using the 2020 13'' i5 MacBook Pro and Mantiz Venus eGPU with 5600XT. Haven't figure out how to solve this. 

MacBook Pro 13" 2.0 GHz Ice Lake i5 2020 +Mantiz Venus + AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT

ReplyQuote
Anton Gladkov
(@anton_gladkov)

@sid_kang, obviously something is wrong with 13" Macbook 2020, both i5 and i7. I tried it with three laptops of my friends (also 13'' 2020) and had the absolute same issue. eGPU can't reconnect during the same session, the laptop needs to be rebooted to connect the device again.Unfortunately can't find any solution or even other topics from other users anywhere. Looks like too small amount of eGPU users upgraded to the new Mac so far.

2020 Macbook Pro 13'' i7 - 10.15.7
Razer Core X Chroma + AMD 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
Sean Lou
(@sean_lou)

@miguel_sanchez, Oh hi, just suddenly remembered that I haven't been here for a few months 🙂

Everything went well untill I installed the Windows 2004 with that old pci.sys file. My current build version is 19041.423.

I want to get some more updates today then when I tried to replace the new pci.sys I found that it didn't work. So I uninstalled those patches and it could go back to work again.

2020 MacBook Pro 13" (4 Thunderbolts)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM
Razer Core X, XFX 5700 XT 8GB

ReplyQuote
Sean Lou
(@sean_lou)

Hi guys all,

I have some ideas that I recently got, and I want to share with your guys. I will be happy to hear from you.

For now, I have successfully installed Boot Camp with AMD RX 5700 XT on my MacBook Pro 2020 13-inch. My current Windows 10 build number is 19041.423 and my current AMD driver is from bootcampdrivers.com. Everything works fine until today I want to get few more updates and use old pci.sys to replace the new file that I would get.

But somehow… it does not work when I finished installing updates. Here are those steps that I did today:

• Enable Windows Update Service. Enable Windows Update from Group Policy.
  • Check Updates from Windows Setting and install them all.
  • Restart and everything works fine. But 5700 XT doesn’t work because it automatically updates the pci.sys. So, I am intending to go back to macOS and replace that file with old pci.sys.
  • Finish replacing and I found that Windows failed to boot up. Not only Boot Camp, but also I use Parallels Desktop.
  • Because it cannot be booted up, I do not know if 5700 XT works fine. I guess it should work but…I cannot boot up.
  • So… I use new pci.sys from newest Windows 10 with version 2004 to replace it back and it can boot up again. Still, as we all know, 5700 XT still doesn’t work.
  • After that… I decide to uninstall 2 patches that I just installed with old 1903 pci.sys and everything goes back to work.

But unfortunately, I forgot to record 2 specific patches number and I really do not want to try that again. To my surprise, I saw some of you guys can run even with Preview Version of Windows and no Error 12. I am wondering how you guys can do this. What did do wrong?

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@sean_lou, Some of the latest Win10 2004 versions refuse to boot when the PCI.SYS is replaced with older ones. You can try a new workaround, HackFlags 0x600 to see if it works.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sean Lou
(@sean_lou)

@itsage, Thanks for offering this solution. Actually, when I try to get those updates, I have already import Hacking 0x600 reg file. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work for me. I'll be waiting for any new solution for now. Thanks anyway. 🙂

ReplyQuote
cringleburt
(@cringleburt)

Hi all,

So 3 weeks ago I bought a macbook pro 13" 2020 (icelake with the 4 thunderbolt ports) and a 5700 xt with a razer enclosure. I've been following this thread for the last few weeks and I've tried all the suggestions from this thread and others ie using 1903 windows, hack flags, pci.sys the lot and absolutely no progress sadly. Out of desperation I tried my nephews nvidia 1060 and it was basically plug and play, just installed the drivers like a regular graphics card installation and it worked straight away. So I went out and bought a 2080 super and same deal, it worked straight away no special steps needed and this is with the latest windows build, shame because the 5700 xt is much better value imo and also works with mac, but I'm getting pretty good performance out of it so I'm happy. I just thought I would let you guys know in case you've run out of patience.

/file

/file

2020 macbook pro 13" with 4 thunderbolt ports, razer egpu enclosure and an Nvidia RTX 2080 super.

ReplyQuote
 of  30