Notifications
Clear all

2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting  

of  24
  RSS

James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

@zzzoom3, Thanks for the info. I'm not sure though that it's a given that it'll work in Boot Camp at least on the new 10nm MacBook Pro 13's however but worse case I'll make my peace if it's only working in MacOS.

MacBook Pro 13 2020 (10nm Ice Lake), i7 2.3Ghz, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Razer Core X working with AMD 5700XT

ReplyQuote
Zzzoom3
(@zzzoom3)

@james_bland, I completely understand. If you are interested in benchmarks, I've recorded some over time with a couple different computers in the CORE X in my Geekbench account here.

Cheers!

Macbook Air (late 2018) + Razer Core X Chroma + RX 5700 XT + MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 + Windows 10 Ver 1909

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

I have tried to replicate these builds and test methods:

• andygev35’s 2020 13" MacBook Air [build link]: error 12 - Looks to be fixed now, but oh boy its a dance!
  • automate-egpu EFI with the Catalina fix applied: error 12 - Which version of Windows?
  • Replacing the PCI driver pci.sys as discovered by @bas_timer: error 12 or green screen of death
  • Disabling devices in Device Manager to free up PCIe resources: error 12 
  • Using DDU to get rid of all the stock Nvidia and AMD drivers before reinstalling fresh ones: error 12
  • Hot plugging before, during and after Window boots up, error 12 - Never worked for me 2017
  • Hot plugging and then switching the plug around from left to right to left again: error 12
  • Cold plugging: error 12 or stuck in boot up before Windows even loads - This is what is expected
  • Blowing in the EGPU fan grill like an SNES cartridge: still an error 12 it and made me dizzy - Tried blowing harder?
  • Putting the MBP in clamshell mode after booting while holding Option and then selecting Windows with an external keyboard
  • Regedited "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PnP\Pci" to tried HackFlag 200, 400 and 600

Got any more ideas? Let me know if there's a method you've seen that I haven't listed here or if you have your own 2020 13" MBP to test on. Sooner or later I am sure this community will solve the mystery, or one of the drivers will get updated with a fix.

This is cracking work and a great write up, hope the community manages to get these latest models working as the CPU's are a big improvement, I'm tempted to buy and return one just to try and help out.

Reg the above, you may be working on some incorrect assumptions - for example: replacing PCI Driver, I dont believe this will fix error 12 on its own so your results are as expected, it does allow for hot plugging (and no error 12) on the larger MacBooks.

I haven't read this whole thread so I may have missed something/everything has already been said.

• Disable ALL security (SIP, Secure boot, boot from external media)
  • Make sure you are on the correct version of Windows (1803 or Fast insider build worked for me) and let all the updates run and windows chillllll for a little bit, its pretty erratic. 
  • Bootloader workaround (EFI Bootloader/apple_set_os/rEFInd(rEFInd worked for me for a while when others didn't))
  • Correct port (usually closest to Tab key but who knows with the new ones)
  • Profit.

Replying with a few bits and bobs I have learned along the way, fairly sure all info is correct although if I've missed something please edit (mods).

Good luck! Look forward to seeing you solve this.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

sdedalus1 liked
ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

@zzzoom3, that’s really useful. I noticed this YouTube video by the way that suggests the low scores on the 5700 XT are based on a driver issue. You can increase the score hugely just by having a second monitor plugged in. See about 2:40 mins into this video...

Tracking has my Razer Core X Landing in the UK this morning so maybe they’ll deliver it today. That’s far quicker than I expected considering it’s come from Hong Kong.

Ordered 2 new monitors as well. Some Dell U2720Q’s which were in stock and supposed to come today but they haven’t shipped them... 🙁

Anyway I’ve got a Nvidia 1070 GTX and 1080 GTX at hand. I’ll give the 1080 in the Razer Core X a shot when it arrives but probably also order a AMD card today as well.

MacBook Pro 13 2020 (10nm Ice Lake), i7 2.3Ghz, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Razer Core X working with AMD 5700XT

ReplyQuote
Symen89
(@symen89)

Hi, Just received my new macbook pro 2020 13inch i7 4TB3 ports. I see that there are som difficulties getting an EGPU working in bootcamp. What are the best chances getting my macbook pro to work with a Razer X chroma w/ AMD vega 64 graphics card? So far i tried to hot plug TB3 cable on bootup on latest version of WIN10. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@symen89, there hasn't been a report of success yet with the 10th Gen i5/i7 MBP in getting an eGPU working in Bootcamp.  I have a 10th Gen i5 MBP coming this week and I have a Razer Core X with a Vega 56 (flashed to Vega 64 on one of the two firmwares).  I have hopes of success with mine, so if I manage to get it working in Bootcamp, I'll be posting a build.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

OK so after a bit of a faff because DHL delivered my Razer Core X to the wrong house... I've managed to get my hands on it.

Clean Windows 10 2004 Build 19041.84 install into Boot Camp. Didn't bother with any Windows Updates this time but plugged it in with a Geforce 1080 GTX in. Before I could even download the drivers from Nvidia it downloaded a set off Windows Update and the monitor hooked to it came on.

I've put on the latest Nvidia drivers 445.87 and am now downloading DOTA 2 from Steam... Lets see if this is stable or crashes like it did on the Lenovo dock.

At least getting this point, it's completely plug and play at least with a Nvidia card it seems. No Code 12 or any hacks or fixes required.

Obviously I'll be ordering an AMD card so I can use in OS X which will then no doubt break Windows... Anyway will report back on if this seems to be stable in a bit.

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@james_bland, and that's with a base model 2020?

Razer Core X

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

@andygev35, ah no, I think I said my model earlier on but I’ve got the i7 2.3Ghz 10th gen with 32GB RAM and a 2TB SSD.

I wouldn’t expect the i7 to make any difference. The extra RAM shouldn’t in theory unless Apple is doing something strange with how they are allocating it to devices.

Will know when I get a AMD card to see if I join the code 12 club Smile

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@james_bland, Well that sounds very promising then...

Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
 of  24