Notifications
Clear all

2020 MacBook Pro 13" Ice Lake CPU Boot Camp eGPU Setup/Troubleshooting  

of  24
  RSS

jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@james_bland, Please tell the kid that the internet thanks them for their noble contribution to science.

2020 13" MacBook Pro - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

@andygev35, had to give it back. Need to wait for Thursday I guess.

I saw the AMD card with next day on prime. Waited and install Win 10 and by the time I looked it was Thur delivery even though still in stock. I guess Amazon hit their delivery capacity for the area while I was mulling it over.

MacBook Pro 13 2020 (10nm Ice Lake), i7 2.3Ghz, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Razer Core X working with AMD 5700XT

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@james_bland, Thank you for sharing your success on pairing the Nvidia eGPU with 2020 Ice Lake MacBook Pro. One recommendation I have when you try the AMD eGPU is to do proper prep work so that you won't get thrown into a loop. While waiting for the arrival of the AMD graphics card, you can either redo the Windows boot volume or run DDU to clear the existing drivers. Make sure when you install Radeon drivers, select the option to reset the drivers too.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

@itsage, Thanks for the tips. Yes I plan to blow the Windows 10 away and start that from scratch again. It installs so quickly and I'm not activating it while messing around with this.

I'll of course try my luck and just plug it in first to see what happens. If it works I'm getting a lottery ticket. Laughing Out Loud  

MacBook Pro 13 2020 (10nm Ice Lake), i7 2.3Ghz, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Razer Core X working with AMD 5700XT

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @james_bland

Clean Windows 10 2004 Build 19041.84 install into Boot Camp. Didn't bother with any Windows Updates this time but plugged it in with a Geforce 1080 GTX in. Before I could even download the drivers from Nvidia it downloaded a set off Windows Update and the monitor hooked to it came on.

I've put on the latest Nvidia drivers 445.87 and am now downloading DOTA 2 from Steam... Lets see if this is stable or crashes like it did on the Lenovo dock.

At least getting this point, it's completely plug and play at least with a Nvidia card it seems. No Code 12 or any hacks or fixes required.

I tried a clean install of 19041.84, hot plugged my Mantiz + RTX 2070, installed Nvidia 445.87 and.... still error 12. Same with GTX 970.

Maybe the issue is with my Mantiz Venus enclosure vs your Razer Core X?

I'll try again (again) with a Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 tonight, but I'm not feeling super optimistic :/

2020 13" MacBook Pro - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

ReplyQuote
James Bland
(@james_bland)
Eminent Member

@jonodavis, that's not good. 🙁

I went for the Razer Core X rather than the Chroma even though I'd like the USB hub + Ethernet and RGB lighting on that because I had read that there's issues with drivers and so on with those sometimes. I felt I had the biggest chance of success by only having the GPU and nothing else on the cable. That ruins my ideal of having a single cable solution but I won't lose sleep from having to plug in 2 connections to get everything connected up.

My 2 x Dell U2720Q's turned up today rather than Friday as they said. Wife's giving me a funny look seeing as I had the Razer Core X turn up yesterday, 2 monitors today. I think when the 5700XT turns up tomorrow that'll be it, I'll be sleeping with the fishes. However if I do survive I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow with that setup.

Got the Dell's both on USB C today in Mac OS which works well. The iGPU seems to handle these 4k displays without issue. I've got the laptop lid closed though but that's only because the USB C cables are so short I've got to have the laptop sat infront of the screens so both of them will reach. Still I'll change them to DisplayPort to the 5700XT tomorrow so no big deal. If it all works I kind of fancy a 3rd one of these as I've had dual screens since forever so maybe time to try triple screens Smile

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @jonodavis

Maybe the issue is with my Mantiz Venus enclosure vs your Razer Core X ?

Thinking you may be onto something there...  The Mantiz has a USB hub, Gigabit LAN port and an additional SATA connection for a HDD/SSD, does it not?

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ShellShocked
(@shellshocked)

I'm just going through my quarantine popcorn stash while my MBP gets here lol. YOU CAN DOO EET!

2020 Mac Book Pro 13" i7 1068NG7 32GB RAM 1TB SSD (shipped!)
eGPU: TBD depending on what happens on the ice lake thread

jonodavis liked
ReplyQuote
doctorez
(@doctorez)

Hi everybody,

I have been following this thread and I just wanted to share my success story.

Here are my 2020 13" MBP specs:
10th gen 2.3 GHz Quad-Core i7
32GB ram
1TB SSD

I am using an AMD Radeon VII and a Razer X Chroma.

I followed @andygev35 's MacBook Air guide to a T and it worked flawlessly in both macOS and in bootcamp. Haven't run into any issues yet!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @doctorez

Hi everybody,

I have been following this thread and I just wanted to share my success story.

Here are my 2020 13" MBP specs:
10th gen 2.3 GHz Quad-Core i7
32GB ram
1TB SSD

I am using an AMD Radeon VII and a Razer X Chroma.

I followed @andygev35 's MacBook Air guide to a T and it worked flawlessly in both macOS and in bootcamp. Haven't run into any issues yet!

Best news I've heard all day!!  Eagerly awaiting delivery of my 10th gen i5 MBP 16GB/1TB later this week.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  24