Notifications
Clear all

5700xt fps issues  

RSS

Bartek Uchański
(@bartek_uchanski)

Hi all,

I noticed strange issues with my 5700xt (Sonnet eGFX breakaway box 550) while playing games on Bootcamp Windows (late 2016 13” MBP with Touchbar).

When I run my external monitor via 5700xt’s HDMI port the performance is really bad, sometimes even worse than when I run the games without the eGPU. 

Only when I connect my monitor via the Macbook’s usb-c port I can see a big improvement. 

In both cases 5700xt’s fans are running so it seems to be working but I dont understand where this drastic difference in performance comes from.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@bartek_uchanski, How did you set up the eGPU in Boot Camp? Which Thunderbolt 3 port does it connect to the 2016 13-in MacBook Pro?

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Bartek Uchański
(@bartek_uchanski)

1. @itsage

thanks for replying,

I was struggling for a long time with error 12, I tried every possible fix and finally used the automate-egpu EFI to boot my Windows which worked.

Im running the newest Insider Windows 10 beta release (build 19577) and the latest 20.2.2 Radeon Software.

For the enclosure I use one of the TB3 ports on the left side.

Edit:

I did some more testing. When running Fallout 4 I get very nice 60fps on ultra settings 1440p, regardless of whether I run it via hdmi or usb-c.

The problem definitely occures when I run Half life 2. On 2160p via USB-C I get a steady 55-60fps, while via HDMI framerate drops to only 25-30fps. Weird, maybe it’s got something to do with HL2 running old DX9.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@bartek_uchanski, Have you tried setting the external monitor as the only active display and disable internal display?

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Bartek Uchański
(@bartek_uchanski)

@itsage

Yes, my MacBook screen is turned off. I tested some more and I can confirm that problem seems to occur only in HL2 (maybe also some other older games). I Heard there is some problem with 5700XT supporting DirectX9, maybe that’s the reason.

ReplyQuote