MacBook Pro 2018 with Vega 20, LG 5k black magic eGPU pro?

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 2018 with Vega 20, LG 5k black magic eGPU pro?  

of  10
  RSS

jamesdkelly
(@nuozek)
Eminent Member

Hello! 

Anyone tried to configure the the new Black Magic eGPU pro Vega 56 with Windows on a MacBook Pro 2018 Vega 20 laptop yet ? 

I recently updated my macbook to this model, and was wondering wether I could use it in windows alongside my LG 5K monitor, have read very mixed reports on wether it’s possible to get this configuration working. 

Appreciate any advice from anyone who’s tried this! 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

From everything I’ve read tb3 monitors don’t work in Bootcamp. You could buy test and return though?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jamesdkelly
(@nuozek)
Eminent Member

Ah OK, I thought I’d read some reports of people getting it to work using the original black magic eGPU on 2018 MacBook Pro’s, but in turn losing their internal display. Although from what I could tell it was quite specific to the version of Windows and it’s driver configurations. 

I think you’re right in that it might be a question of just trying it.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

The Blackmagic eGPU should work with perfectly with Ultrafine 5k.

Losing the internal display is a general AMD problem with 15-inch MacBooks only and has nothing to do with the Blackmagic in particular. There are ways to overcome this problem, as you can see in this guide: Bootcamp Guide
If you have the 15-inch 2018 model you won't be able to accelerate your internal display. Again this is an issue of all AMD cards, not only the Blackmagic eGPU (pro).

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

From everything I’ve read tb3 monitors don’t work in Bootcamp. You could buy test and return though?

Why should that be? This wouldn't make any sense to me. I guess they are talking about internal display, which has nothing to do with the Blackmagic eGPU.

Edit: I am very sure that if the TB3 external display works in MacOSX, it works in Bootcamp, too, or vice versa. If it doesn't work, it will be for both OS, too.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 // Navi vs Radeon VII vs GTX 1080 Ti [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

@oliverb Why are you so sure? Have you read a case where someone has got it working with the Ultrafine 5k display? Why are you so constantly intent on trying to prove everybody else wrong?

I was very interested in the Blackmagic egpu as a solution to directly drive my 5K but I read reports from people who were trying to do the same and they all mentioned no tb3 monitor output in Windows/Bootcamp. 

If you've found any build where any tb3 display works connected directly to the Blackmagic egpu I would love to see it and have my assumptions proved wrong, until then I don’t think you can be so certain that equipment you neither own nor have tested will definitely work.

---

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@oliverb Why are you so sure?

1) We know that the Blackmagic TB3 Output works for 4k monitors on both MacOSX and Windows the same.
2) We know that the Blackmagic TB3 Output works for 5k monitors on at least MacOSX.
The rest is very simple logic. For the OS it should not be any different depending on the resolution, why should it?

I had the Blackmagic eGPU with Bootcamp and it worked perfectly despite the bad rumours, but I didn't have 5k though, so I am only "quite" sure.

This post was modified 3 years ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 // Navi vs Radeon VII vs GTX 1080 Ti [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: OliverB

@oliverb Why are you so sure?

1) We know that the Blackmagic TB3 Output works for 4k monitors on both MacOSX and Windows the same.
2) We know that the Blackmagic TB3 Output works for 5k monitors on at least MacOSX.
The rest is very simple logic. For the OS it should not be any different depending on the resolution, why should it?

I had the Blackmagic eGPU with Bootcamp and it worked perfectly despite the bad rumours, but I didn't have 5k though, so I am only "quite" sure.

1. Where have you seen that? Were you using a TB3 monitor? I have only read that the TB output is not reliable in Windows.
2. Yes, but we are not talking about macOS, this point is irrelevant. Sketch app works on macOS, that has no bearing on it working in Windows (it doesn't).

The rest isn't simple logic, it's assumptions, and you know what they say about assumptions...

Both the TB3 based 5K and the Blackmagic are unique custom solutions, it took Apple a year to supply drivers to get the 5K's working in Bootcamp.

You cannot claim "The  Blackmagic eGPU  should work with perfectly with Ultrafine 5k." without ANY experience with the products or supplying any reports of success (I would love to be proved wrong and they do all play nice together).

People could make buying choices based on what you say as it sounds like you know what you are talking about, but in this case you quite simply do not.

---

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

The only assumption is that the BlackMagic TB3 Output works for 5K Monitors at all.  This is what they promise and what can be read. So I would call this an educated guess.  As this ability is dependant on Blackmagic Hardware and Firmware there is no reason to believe it is different on MacOSX/Windows, as this is not different for any monitor smaller than 5K.

So, why don't you go and try the BlackMagic with your 5k monitor? You can return it for 14 days (or mostly 30days), so there is not even a risk.

This post was modified 3 years ago

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

I am tempted to do that... as that is the only way we will know for sure.

They only promise TB3 monitors working in macOS, Windows is stated as not supported at all (although as you mention, from your experience it can work with other outputs - and I have seen others use them with HDMI monitors).

You make a massive assumption and then present it has fact, just stop, misinformation doesn't help anyone.

Also worth noting the 5K's ARE different from other monitors as they stitch together 2x Display port signals to achieve the 5K resolutions, but I don't know enough about how they do that or how it effects things to comment any further (see what I did there?).

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Windows has a hard time producing 5K resolution via Thunderbolt 3. When I tested an HP Z27q monitor through its direct dual DisplayPort cables, 5K @ 60Hz worked well in both macOS and Windows 10 Boot Camp. Using this same monitor through the Thunderbolt 3 to dual DisplayPort adapter yielded a different result. While it worked in macOS, it had no output in Windows 10 Boot Camp.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
 of  10