Akitio Node + GTX 1070 working flawlessly in MacOS Sierra, but not in BootCamp?

Notifications
Clear all

Akitio Node + GTX 1070 working flawlessly in MacOS Sierra, but not in BootCamp?  

RSS

Austinerino
(@austinerino)

Reposting from r/eGPU because the topic died, so apologies if you've already seen this! Just trying to get some help.

Macbook Pro 2017, 15 inch.

When I'm on MacOS, oddly enough, it has no problem reading the card in the Node, and the "About This Mac" button displays that I'm using the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8191 MB in lieu of the Radeon 555 it came with. I have an hdmi hooked up from the graphics card to an external monitor, and everything works fine on both displays. However, the supposedly "easier" option of plug and play in bootcamp isn't working at all.

Originally, when i first plugged in everything, installed the thunderbolt 3 and akitio drivers, and was prompted to restart to update my display adapters, it all worked as expected. I installed the nvidia drivers for the 1070, games ran ridiculously quickly, and if i tried to use the radeon control panel on the system tray, it would be disabled.

However, when i came back to windows to try it again a couple of hours later, it was only displaying on the macbook pro screen, and the radeon card had taken over. GeForce was disabled, and I couldn't reinstall the 1070 driver because the system didn't find an nvidia card to work with. I tried re-updating the thunderbolt 3 and akitio drivers a bunch of times, but I was never prompted to restart to update the display adapter, so nothing has changed. I've repeated the above and tried different ports, but to no avail. What could be the problem here?

*update, I tried doing a thing somebody on reddit told me to (plugging in the tb3 cable as soon as the windows boot logo appeared. Worked once, but when i came back to windows the same problem was happening again). 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Shawzborne
(@shawzborne)

Posted by: Austinerino

Reposting from r/eGPU because the topic died, so apologies if you've already seen this! Just trying to get some help.

When I'm on MacOS, oddly enough, it has no problem reading the card in the Node, and the "About This Mac" button displays that I'm using the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8191 MB in lieu of the Radeon 555 it came with. I have an hdmi hooked up from the graphics card to an external monitor, and everything works fine on both displays. However, the supposedly "easier" option of plug and play in bootcamp isn't working at all.

Originally, when i first plugged in everything, installed the thunderbolt 3 and akitio drivers, and was prompted to restart to update my display adapters, it all worked as expected. I installed the nvidia drivers for the 1070, games ran ridiculously quickly, and if i tried to use the radeon control panel on the system tray, it would be disabled.

However, when i came back to windows to try it again a couple of hours later, it was only displaying on the macbook pro screen, and the radeon card had taken over. GeForce was disabled, and I couldn't reinstall the 1070 driver because the system didn't find an nvidia card to work with. I tried re-updating the thunderbolt 3 and akitio drivers a bunch of times, but I was never prompted to restart to update the display adapter, so nothing has changed. I've repeated the above and tried different ports, but to no avail. What could be the problem here?

*update, I tried doing a thing somebody on reddit told me to (plugging in the tb3 cable as soon as the windows boot logo appeared. Worked once, but when i came back to windows the same problem was happening again). 

Where did you find Akitio Node Drives for Mac OS Sierra? Ive never heard of any existing >  https://www.akitio.com/software/

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP460) [6th,4C,H] + Quadro P4000 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
alfyrx8
(@alfyrx8)

I sometimes have this issue with my 2017 Imac same box as you but with 1080ti instead.  . What  I would do to fix this problem is go to display settings in Windows and you should noticed that Screen 1 or 2 box is smaller then usual I would click on the Screen with the small box and make it my primary again and then my External monitor would turn back on.  I'm not sure why that happens, because I didn't have that problem when I'm using Thunderbot 2 (980ti) on my 2015 Macbook pro

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
alfyrx8
(@alfyrx8)

Posted by: Shawzborne
Posted by: Austinerino

Where did you find Akitio Node Drives for Mac OS Sierra? Ive never heard of any existing >  https://www.akitio.com/software/

if you go to this link scroll down too "  https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/18/hands-on-akitio-node-egpu-tubro-charge-apple-2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-3-video/   (there's a youtube video which starts at 7:56 mark 

Scroll down to Upgrading the Akitio Node’s firmware" for the firmware link etc. 

ReplyQuote