AMD Adrenaline 21.4.1 seems to break my 2020 Mac mini Razer Core Chroma 5700 XT ...

Notifications
Clear all

AMD Adrenaline 21.4.1 seems to break my 2020 Mac mini Razer Core Chroma 5700 XT eGPU bootcamp setup  

RSS

prototofu
(@prototofu)

I've been running this setup for about a year without too many problems (certainly not that weren't self-inflicted). Since Mac minis tend to be relatively smooth sailing with eGPUs, I've just been upgrading the AMD driver each iteration, without any dramas.

The previous 2 AMD driver releases have resulted in poor perfomance in a couple of video games I play, so I rolled back to 40.4.2 and figured I'd wait until a stable release. I tried 21.4.1 a couple of days ago, and tried again tonight, and both times I've been unable to boot up in Bootcamp. The GPU spins it's fans idly, but I don't get any boot up image for either the iGPU or eGPU.

Just wanted to check and see if anyone else has tried the newest drivers with any success or failure?

Cheers.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@prototofu, What was your setup procedure for the eGPU? How did you upgrade the drivers? My recommendation is to use DDU to remove all Radeon drivers then set the eGPU up like it was the initial setup.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
prototofu
(@prototofu)

Setup was very straightforward (at least after things got less finicky for the Mac mini). My initial setup was with DDU, and the first time I tried 21.4.1 I did a DDU wipe and the AMD Adrenaline "Factory Reset" (which I think does something similar?). The second time I did neither (as is typical for my upgrades/downgrades).

I just upgrade the drivers via the standard software upgrade path (i.e. a full install), rather than installing the drivers via the device manager or anything like that.

So nothing has really changed from when I normally upgrade the drivers... 

Also, just pointing out that nothing's broken, and 20.4.2 still works just as well as most other releases. I was just concerned this might signal some drop in support.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote