Aorus Gaming Box with custom install of Gigabyte GTX 1660 SUPER on 2018 Mac Mini...

Notifications
Clear all

Aorus Gaming Box with custom install of Gigabyte GTX 1660 SUPER on 2018 Mac Mini in Windows 10 (Bootcamp)  

RSS

Hey Pablo
(@hey-pablo)

Purchased an empty Aorus Gaming Box on eBay that previously held a GTX 1070, and fitted it with a Gigabyte GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB OC (ITX).  No issues with power - the 1660 also uses 8 pin and both components being Gigabyte products there was no issue with the card powering up. 

IMG 0249

Applied the H2D update and getting a very nice 2200 / 2700 MiB/s.  First thing I did was play F-Zero GX on Dolphin at 60 fps in 4k!

IMG 0248

Currently having to hotplug during Windows startup, but will make myself an EIF partition on a USB stick.  Only downside I have seen is that Aorus Engine software recognises this as an Nvidia card as opposed to a Gaming Box, and therefore cannot change the LEDs, but I can live with that!

This topic was modified 1 week ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@hey-pablo, Nice setup! Have you tried RGBFusion 2.0 to control the lighting? There's also a macOS version of Aorus Engine that I've found to work well in changing the RGB settings.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

Hey Pablo liked
ReplyQuote
Hey Pablo
(@hey-pablo)

@itsage

Thanks! Pretty happy with the setup. 

Great tip for RGB Fusion 2.0.  That worked well.  Now have everything a matching cool blue.

One thing I haven't figured out yet, I'm almost matching 1660 SUPER benchmarks for an internal GPU, but only when connecting to my display via HDMI from the Mac Mini.  If I connect via HDMI from the ePGU itself, the performance actually drops.  I wonder if its the high 2700 MiB/s number for Device to Host that actually makes it faster that way.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote