Asus XG Station Pro MacBook Pro 2017 Issues

Notifications
Clear all

Asus XG Station Pro MacBook Pro 2017 Issues  

RSS

cheerfulbiscuit
(@cheerfulbiscuit)

Hi,

I just recently purchased an Asus XG Station Pro for use with my MacBook Pro 2017 15. I have a Nvidia 1080 GTX.

I know that this eGPU enclosure just came out not too long ago, but I wanted to share my experience with it so far.

I have only got it to work in Windows 10 via Bootcamp and it installed and worked just fine... with some caveats (keep in mind this is a fresh install of Windows 10 with the default Bootcamp drivers installed). I have it plugged into one Thunderbolt port. It runs and plays games just fine... Actually very well. I have tested Doom, Dark Souls 3, and others and got at least 60 fps on high-to-ultra settings at 2K.

The problem is whenever I plug in another Thunderbolt peripheral, Windows freezes and restarts. I have tried leaving two things plugged in and restarting, with the eGPU not being recognized. I have also had to reinstall Nvidia drivers multiple times to get it Windows to recognize it again.

Can anyone help me? I'm totally new to this.
Thanks! Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Have you tried plugging in the eGPU to the Thunderbolt 3 port on one side of the laptop, and peripheral on the other side? The eGPU tend to dominate the TB3 controller once attached and in my experience it doesn't like sharing very much.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
cheerfulbiscuit
(@cheerfulbiscuit)

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have tried isolating the eGPU to one side.

At this point I am wondering if it’s a Windows issue. I tried plugging in my external hard drive and it froze then rebooted. After startup, it recognized all Thunderbolt devices.

It seems hotplugging is not working in Windows 10... Or it could be something totally different.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Robert K.
(@robert)

I use my eGPU only on the LEFT TB3 side.
With the eGPU on the right side there are Bluetooth issues...

8K Setup
2017 MacBook Pro 15, Dell UP3218K, ASUS XG Station Pro, ASUS AMD Vega 64 Strix, Win10 1709

ReplyQuote
cheerfulbiscuit
(@cheerfulbiscuit)

Has anyone ever had Windows freeze and reboot whenever they plugged in a Thunderbolt device?

Do I need to download extra drivers or firmware for Thinderbolt?

ReplyQuote
subhannatin
(@subhannatin)

have you tried plugging in everything you want before even attempting to turn on ur mac/egpu

ReplyQuote
cheerfulbiscuit
(@cheerfulbiscuit)

Yeah that did the trick. A USB 3.0 hub and everything plugged in and the enclosure turned on before booting into Windows.

I decided to return my MacBook and just build a desktop instead.

So now I’m stuck with a brand new enclosure lol. Guess I’ll auction it off on eBay or something.

Thanks for all your help!

ReplyQuote