Automate-egpu + MacBook Pro 15" 2017 + Razer Core X + AMD RX Vega 64 100% workin...

Notifications
Clear all

Automate-egpu + MacBook Pro 15" 2017 + Razer Core X + AMD RX Vega 64 100% working internal display.  

RSS

Mossito
(@mossito)

Hi

@goalque thank you very much for this EFI software, my macbook supports my egpu out of the box for macOS but I wanted to make it work in bootcamp. Thanks to this software I got it working perfectly.
I wanted to share my experience and may be help someone, I got a few days ago my egpu and it took me quite a few hours to get it working as I'm a noob.

System specs
- MacBook Pro 15" 2017  i7 2.9Ghz

eGPU hardware 
- Razer Core X box
- Saphire AMD RX Vega 64 card.
- Choetech 2M thunderbolt 3 Active cable.

Installation steps
This is the procedure I followed (please keep in mind I did lots of tests so may be something is missing). Also notice that because my windows is set in Spanish, may be some windows options have a slightly different name.

- Copy in an empty FAT32 USB drive the EFI folder of the automate-egpu V1.0.5, change the configuration in the config.plist MuxSetting to 1
- Unmount and unplug Razer core x
- Unmount and unplug USB drive
- Install bootcamp windows 10 pro 64 bit version without the USB or the egpu plugged in.
- Install apple bootcamp drivers.
- Reboot and test that everything works normally.
- Do all Windows updates, specially make sure you are in 1803 windows version.
- Create restore point
- Boot windows in safe mode, and uninstall apple GPU drivers with DDU tool.
- Power off the machine.
- Plug in the USB with the EFI folder and boot pressing option key, then press q and choose windows partition.
- Plug the Razer core X cable, you should see a new card in windows device manager (you will see 3).
- Install AMD Radeon last software for Vega 64, at this point the software will tell that no AMD hardware is found in the system.
 - Update the card controller in the device's manager with the controllers found in the install directory from the AMD software.
- You should have now 3 devices listed: Radeon RX, intel, and a basic (this is the dgpu).
- Disable the basic card in device's manager keeping only active Radeon and intel.
- Reboot again with the USB EFI.
- You should have now the card working.
- Create a restore point.
- This may not apply for everyone. In my case the screen was flickering while not moving the mouse, so I installed the latest intel software and drivers and setup the performance in intel software to the max in all settings for the case when the computer is running connected to power. I got a black screen after install and windows was not able to boot. so I restored windows to the last restore point. Somehow I have the intel software still, so I don't know if it came with bootcamp or not.
- Create a restore point.
- All done, now the egpu works perfect.
- Now the procedure I use every time is just boot with EFI USB and egpu plugged in!

I didn't test with external display as I'm only using it with internal. In windows, like in macOS, you have to tell each application to use the egpu, the way to do it is in the display settings, graphics management at the bottom. Add every game individually to the list as classic app and setup there them to use full performance.

Please feel free to correct me if something does not look right. I hope this helps someone.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

goalque and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mossito Congrats on this nice setup. Consider formatting this topic as a build guide. The template can be found here.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

TheJizel liked
ReplyQuote
Research777
(@research777)

Hello!

Here is the item how to perform?
- Unmount and unplug USB drive
- Install bootcamp windows 10 pro 64 bit version without the USB or the egpu plugged in.

When installing windows bootcamp you need a USB drive.

And do you need to think of the mouse and keyboard from the ports if they are connected via USB?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mossito
(@mossito)

@research777
In the case of macbook pro 2017 yo don’t need an usb drive because bootcamp creates the install partition with the windows image inside of it. I also use macbook keyboard and trackpad.

ReplyQuote
Alessandro Fauth
(@alessandro_fauth)

@mossito, hi! how has your cable experience been with the Choetech active cable? is it still working?

ReplyQuote
Fahad Beg
(@fahad_beg)

What does automate Gpu do? 

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote