Before I break anything let me ask for advice. (Sonnet 550W - RX Vega 56 - MBP 2...

Notifications
Clear all

Before I break anything let me ask for advice. (Sonnet 550W - RX Vega 56 - MBP 2017 15")  

RSS

sabrefoxx
(@sabrefoxx)

The really good news:

I am using a Sonnet 550W eGFX with an RX Vega 56 on my Windows 10 BootCamp and after installing and updating the drivers it is detected in my Device Manager.
I did not even use refind/apple_set_os.efi/ or anything. It auto-detected.

The bad news is:

My Bootcamp Windows is still using the dGPU (Radeon Pro 560) and not the RX Vega. How do I get it to use the Vega 56?

I thought of using gpu-switch  here:  https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch but I feel like I'm so close to the answer to solve this that I didn't want to risk breaking anything without asking for advice first.

SPECS:

Macbook Pro 2017
Bootcamp Windows 10 1709
iGPU: Intel Idris
dGPU: Radeon Pro 560
eGPU: RX Vega 56
eGFX: Sonnet 550W Breakaway box

Note: I haven't done any special workarounds. I plugged in the box (before turning it on), booted into bootcamp, it detects it, and I can see it in device manager and everything just fine. I heard that AMD XConnect may be the answer but it must be some sort of automated background program in my taskbar because I can't open it and tell it to switch to the eGPU. I ran the SteamVR performance test in hopes that it would switch to the eGPU under stress but that did not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I get this working I am going to do my best to make a guide!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
xplisite
(@xplisite)
Eminent Member

hi, when you boot in windows with the egpu attach have you got the notification of AMD XCONNECT ?
If no, try to download the last AMD drivers and do a rigth click on your vega 56 in device manager to update the driver and point the folder of the last amd driver (don't use the installer).

Chris

Mid 2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 | MacOS Mojave | Windows 10 Pro
Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 (Change PSU for Corsair HX850)
Custom WaterCooling ASUS Vega 64 Strix | EKWB Vega Strix waterblock and EKWB Combo Radiator/Pump

ReplyQuote
xplisite
(@xplisite)
Eminent Member

i give you my method to update the drivers we've got the same setup and its work.

- Disconnect your egpu
- Download the unofficial bootcamp drivers (download the 18.3.3) here  https://mega.nz/#F!dQ50BLKS!o-k34oCKh4b1NIEpCP32LQ!8EphSCiB
- Use DDU to erase the amd driver in safe mode
- Install the "bootcamp drivers"

At this time just your RP560 is correctly installed

- Download the official AMD Drivers (download the 18.3.4)  https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64
- Disconnect the wifi ( because windows will downloading the driver when you attach the egpu but is not the latest )
- Plug your EGPU
- In device manager you will see " microsoft device etc" in the graphic card section, rigth click on it and choose update driver and point to the folder of the official AMD driver.

If its ok after the update you will see the notification of AMD Xconnect and windows use your Vega 56.

Chris.

Custom WaterCooling ASUS Vega 64 Strix | EKWB Vega Strix waterblock and EKWB Combo Radiator/Pump

ReplyQuote
sabrefoxx
(@sabrefoxx)

Posted by: xplisite

i give you my method to update the drivers we've got the same setup and its work.

- Disconnect your egpu
- Download the unofficial bootcamp drivers (download the 18.3.3) here  https://mega.nz/#F!dQ50BLKS!o-k34oCKh4b1NIEpCP32LQ!8EphSCiB
- Use DDU to erase the amd driver in safe mode (Google how to get into safe mode with Windows 10)
- Install the "bootcamp drivers" (While not in safe mode - It won't install otherwise)

At this time just your RP560 is correctly installed

- Download the official AMD Drivers (download the 18.3.4)  https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64
- Disconnect the wifi ( because windows will downloading the driver when you attach the egpu but is not the latest )
- Plug your EGPU
- In device manager you will see " microsoft device etc"(Might simply say "Microsoft Basic Adapter." If you do not see this, confirm that the eGPX/GPU is powered on. Sometimes it won't power on unless it is in a certain Thunderbolt 3 port. Mines was the lower right port. The top right port will not function and cause the computer to crash if I plug anything in there while the eGPU is plugged in) in the graphic card section, rigth click on it and choose update driver and point to the folder of the official AMD driver. (If you extracted the
contents of the AMD 18.3.4 drivers then simply running the install/setup file it contains should have the same effect).

Extra: If you have successfully completed the install of the 18.3.4 drivers and the RX Vega 56 does not appear in Device Manager, reboot the computer while the eGPU is plugged into the appropriate T3 port on your Mac.

If its ok after the update you will see the notification of AMD Xconnect and windows use your Vega 56. (If you do not see XConnect in the toolbar (lower right corner) then reboot the computer once more and it should appear if everything before now has been completed successfully).

Chris.

Thanks for your help Chris, that worked out nicely. I made a few notes to your guide due to the road bumps I encountered but otherwise it was smooth sailing.

Cheers!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
xplisite
(@xplisite)
Eminent Member

Perfect  😉

ReplyQuote