Bootcamp can't recognize eGPU as display adapter [2019 13" MacbookPro + GeForce ...

Notifications
Clear all

Bootcamp can't recognize eGPU as display adapter [2019 13" MacbookPro + GeForce 1050Ti + AkiTiO Thunder3 PCIe Box]  

of  2
  RSS

Jacob Rienstra
(@jacob_rienstra)

Specs

Macbook Pro 13" 2019 w/ Touchbar & 4 TB3 Ports

• MacOSX 11.0 Big Sur
  • Windows 10 Version 2004(20H2) build 19042.630
  • 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD HD
  • Intel i7-8569U CPU @ 2.80GHz
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655

EVGA GTX GeForce 1050Ti

From what I've seen, this should be essentially plug and play, with the iGPU and TB3 Ports.

Problem

Windows refuses to recognize the eGPU I'm connecting is a Display Adapter, generic or not. It knows something is plugged in, I hear the sounds, and Thunderbolt 15E shows up under System Devices in Device Manager. But nothing else happens. It does not appear under display adapters, only Intel built in does.

It also doesn't work in MacOS; it says unsupported, and it seems most NVIDIA cards are unsupported for MacOS, but I only need it to work for Windows, so

What I've Tried (Good)

• Downloaded the latest Thunderbolt 3 drivers, so the (new!) Thunderbolt Control Center is recognizing the AkiTiO as... an AkiTiO
  • Confirmed Bootcamp is using UEFI mode
  • 120W adapter for the AkiTiO, so I think it's getting enough power. According to people with the same setup that's what you need, but I don't actually know how to confirm it...
  • Fast Startup is disabled
  • The card + chassis DID work with bootcamp at some point in the past, many years ago (2016ish maybe) (it's a friend's). 

What I've Tried (Bad)

• Can't install the GeForce drivers because the installer doesn't think I have a NVIDIA GPU
  • Don't have a PC with a TB3 port so I don't know how to eliminate GPU hardware or chassis problems as the source 🙁
  • Tried to update (download?) the latest AkiTiO firmware but the updater says it isn't compatible with my system. 
  • Tried hot and cold plugging
  • Have not tried a clean windows install because I haven't had time yet to back everything up, and I have a feeling that's not the issue
  • Did not disable the Broadcom Bluetooth or iBridge Facetime camera devices (from here) because I could not find them...
  • Don't think I can use the autoEFI boot script because of some kext nonsense with Big Sur? I think? Plus the bootup isn't the problem, it's not recognizing it on boot or hot plugged. 
  • Installed DDU and tried it on AMD, NVIDIA, and Intel, but none seemed to make a difference.

I've tried so many things at this point I've probably forgotten some of them. I've searched this site, read several of the guides, looked at different builds, but they're all just slightly different enough from my particular setup that at some point, we diverge and it's no longer helpful. Or I just have this problem cause I made a very basic mistake somewhere. It's always something dumb, isn't it.

Happy to provide any other specs or screenshots, or answer questions about what I have/haven't done. Any and all suggestions are appreciated, including really basic stuff. Happy to try lots of things! I just don't know what is happening!!! I don't even know how to diagnose where the problem is coming from at this point!!!

Sorry if the bolding and formatting is obnoxious, trying to make all this scannable for y'all...

anyway yeah pls help 

UPDATE 11/18

Ordered a new thunderbolt 3 cable from amazon, and it's now being recognized! I think the old one must be 20gbps or something. Anyway, the drivers seem to be installed, now I'm just having difficulty telling it to USE the eGPU for an external monitor. Will update with progress, thanks for humoring me!

MacbookPro 13" 2019 Touchbar 4 TB3 (15,2)
(Intel Iris 655)
MacOS Big Sur 11.0
16 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, Intel i7 2.8 GHz
Windows 10 Version 2014 Build 19042.630
EVGA GTX GeForce 1050Ti + AkiTiO Thunder3 PCIe Box

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

"anyway yeah pls help my family is dying" yeah if a joke not funny.

Post some pics and lets see if the GPU is connected properly (6 pin power cable?)

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jacob Rienstra
(@jacob_rienstra)

oh sorry, i was referencing this:

dril candle tweet

anyway here are some pics, lmk if they're helpful! sorry if they're not, i know very little about hardware

9485A411 DFCF 41A1 BF2D 0ABC3E556E03 (1)
7E00C214 B324 479C 88F5 2F0E936AB5C4
2D0F1E78 587B 4167 8AC2 5933A7708020
BBDCF785 85C8 4E18 AEC1 966998D830F3

(Intel Iris 655)
MacOS Big Sur 11.0

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jacob_rienstra, The PCIe slot in the Thunder3 enclosure only provides 25W. That's not enough for the GTX 1050 Ti to work.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jacob Rienstra
(@jacob_rienstra)

@itsage, thank you!!!

well shit. so is there no way to make this rig work? my friend said it’s worked for him before, so i’m not sure how that happened.

these post seems to say it should work with a 120W adapter

https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/akitio-thunder2-and-thunder3-gpu-size-to-close-the-akitio/

https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/5c3l97/gtx_1050ti_with_egpu/

pic of said adapter:

B08A2055 056A 444B 9F76 AFE33208A0D4

(Intel Iris 655)
MacOS Big Sur 11.0

ReplyQuote
Jacob Rienstra
(@jacob_rienstra)

OK so it is now recognized as a display adapter, the drivers are installed properly, I get "device is running properly" on device manager, but... nothing is using it. it shows up in GPU-Z, but running e.g. Heaven benchmark just uses the internal intel card. it doesn't appear as an option in the graphics settings panel for apps. 

Windows should just start using the card automatically, right? What am I missing here?

Some things:

• Can't start up NVIDIA Control Panel. when I launch it the first time, I get a license agreement window, and then nothing. Because nothing is using the card, probably. 
  • Have my TV connected to the card directly via HDMI
  • An unrecognized HD Audio Device shows up under system devices, so the NVIDIA audio isn't working I guess
  • When I hot plug, I usually:
    • hear the device connected/device disconnected tone
    • the screen brightens up
    • mouse freezes for a second
    • back to normal
    • nothing
  • Boot up with eGPU connected, windows hangs and then gives me BSOD
  • Timed hot plug while windows logo is up/circling dots, it usually gives the blue distorted screen and then reboots. or just hangs. 

Do I need to be using the autoboot efi or something? The card is recognized after hot plugging, so? I tried using nando4's DIY setup but I guess because I have an EFI installation of windows, that won't work for me. I also tried a few different older versions of NVIDIA GeForce drivers to no avail.

Here's my device manager, GPU-Z readout, and HWiNFO PCI layout

Screenshot 2020 11 19 023604
gpuz
Screenshot 2020 11 19 005047

what am i doing wrong??

(Intel Iris 655)
MacOS Big Sur 11.0

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@jacob_rienstra, ahhh sorry, I am a bit too old for internet jokes, I often miss them... plus I was in a foul mood the other day when I replied.

Sounds like drivers may not have installed properly, try running DDU.

IIRC the CPIe slot provides somewhere near 75W of power which is the max power draw of the 1050ti but there may be spikes surpassing that which will result in crashes. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: @jacob_rienstra

Windows should just start using the card automatically, right? What am I missing here?

Setup looks fine to me (unless power is an issue as @itsage mentioned). You are using an external monitor right? Not exactly clear in your opening post but your update does mention 'external monitor'. Make sure you are plugging that in to the eGPU. This is required for the Control Panel to open as well IIRC. Irrespective, you can also set GPU preference:  https://winaero.com/set-preferred-gpu-apps-windows-10/

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jacob Rienstra
(@jacob_rienstra)

@eightarmedpet, haha no worries Smile

yeah, i've tried using DDU a couple of times to purge the NVIDIA drivers and then reinstall, but i get the same results. is there a way i can tell if any of the drivers got corrupted?

as for power, any way of checking for spikes/insufficient draw? trying to eliminate things one at a time

thank you!!!!

Posted by: @mac_editor
Posted by: @jacob_rienstra

Setup looks fine to me (unless power is an issue as @itsage mentioned). You are using an external monitor right? Not exactly clear in your opening post but your update does mention 'external monitor'. Make sure you are plugging that in to the eGPU. This is required for the Control Panel to open as well IIRC. Irrespective, you can also set GPU preference:  https://winaero.com/set-preferred-gpu-apps-windows-10/

Yes! I'm using my Samsung TV as an external monitor, connecting it to the eGPU via HDMI:

IMG 6885

And this is what I get when I try to edit GPU preferences:

thank you so much for your help!!!

(Intel Iris 655)
MacOS Big Sur 11.0

ReplyQuote
Arjunpulika
(@arjunpulika)

Excellent thread! Thanks for this great share! cellinfo

This post was modified 1 week ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  2