(Bootcamp) Persistent Error Code 12 w/ Razer Core X and RX 480
I've been trying to get this thing to work in Bootcamp for some time now but have not been able to make any progress. I completely restored my entire system a few days ago because of issues related to eGPU setup in Bootcamp. Long story short, I had to format my entire drive from a macOS bootable USB to fix the problem I was having.
My problem is that whenever I connect the eGPU to my MacBook, Windows sees it, goes through setup, installs all the drivers, and requests a restart. Everything seems like it's going well but if I check in Device Manager, I see Error Code 12. After restarting Error Code 12 still remains.
I know that the common suggested fix is to disable Port 9 to free up resourced from the FaceTime HD Camera, but I haven't had any success with that. So far the most thorough attempt I've made is to remove the AMD drivers with DDU, ensure that Port 9 is disabled, restart, and once the machine is booted, plug in the eGPU to let Windows setup the device again. Even after that, I still get Error Code 12. My latest attempt let me reboot the system, but once I plugged it back in the eGPU never actually mounted and just got stuck on Port 5, saying that all the sub devices/ports couldn't start. So I removed my drivers, shut down, enabled Port 9 again, and gave up.
From what I've read, this model MacBook should be relatively easy to setup, but I've been unable to have any success and I have no idea what to do. I got this enclosure for a bargain, $200 for it and the RX 480, so I'm not too upset but unless I can get this working, the eGPU really serves no purpose as gaming with macOS is not really possible. Any help would be appreciated.
The culprit with 2016 MacBook Pros is that they don't have "Large Memory" allocation like 2017-2019 models do. Therefore they are more challenging to set up with an AMD eGPU in Boot Camp. My recommendation is to use automate-eGPU EFI with the matching dsdt.aml file for your 2016 13" non-Touchbar MacBook Pro. This EFI boot loader allows you to boot into Windows with the Intel iGPU activated (working internal display) while AMD eGPU connected.
Here's the typical setup procedure:
- Install Windows 10 1903 through Boot Camp Assistant then finish Apple driver installation [in macOS & Windows]
- Create a 24MB FAT partition in Disk Utility and copy @goalque's automate-eGPU EFI onto it [in macOS]
- Copy matching pre-compiled DSDT.aml to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/WINDOWS folder inside EFI partition [in macOS]
- Connect the RX 480 eGPU prior to powering on the MacBook Pro [MBP OFF]
- Hold OPTION at boot to select EFI drive and hit Q to access automate-eGPU EFI [boot selection]
- Download and install latest AMD graphics drivers for Radeon eGPU then restart [in Windows]
- Boot into Windows via automate-eGPU EFI [boot selection]
Thanks. I appreciate the help, but upon further evaluation, I decided to flip the Razer Core X for a slight profit. Perhaps if Apple adds native eGPU support in Bootcamp I’ll buy another enclosure.
I feel I’d be better served with a more powerful MacBook Pro.