Notifications
Clear all

[Bootcamp] Testing a GTX670 in an AORUS box 1070 enclosure  

RSS

Arthy
(@arthy)
Eminent Member

Hi everyone,

I just received an empty Aorus box (1070, v1.0), which I have been testing with a GTX670 (ASUS CU MINI).
I would like to share my experience with the community. I'm sure I'm not the only one willing to give a second life to an old GPU.

My Bootcamp setup is made of Windows 10 x64 (Fall Creators Update) on a 2016 TB MBP 13''.

-----08/03/2018-----
I have followed the first steps of the Bootcamp guide, but I am stuck at the post-REFIND stage. The eGPU does not appear at all in device manager. Hotplugging does not work either, although it allows the box to light-up and « wake-up » (cf. fans running). I was unable to update the TB firmware.
Embedded USB ports and LEDs do work. The TB cable is original.

-----09/03/2018-----
Some hope on MacOS: the box is detected, but not the GPU apparently.
I have followed the setup guidelines (SIP disabling, Web drivers, NVIDIAEGPUSupport).
This may be related to the current OS version I am using (10.13.4 Beta 17E170c).

Screen Shot 2018 03 09 at 4.06.14 PM

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Arthy
(@arthy)
Eminent Member

Here are the first pics:

IMG 2703
IMG 2702
IMG 2704

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@arthy When the RGB lights up and GPU fan runs, it means the card is working with the Gaming Box. GPU detection issue is likely due to the age of your GTX 670.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Arthy
(@arthy)
Eminent Member

Thanks @itsage ! The GPU fan does indeed run when the enclosure lights up.
So you recommend that I update the GPU? I have indeed only seen one successful 670 integration so far.

ReplyQuote
Arthy
(@arthy)
Eminent Member

Let's close this thread. The box failed to recognize the 670, however, the EVGA 1060 worked like a charm. It's amazing to see how in 3/4 years the setup has become easy and almost plug and play (in BootCamp at least), compared to the extensive coding required with my previous ExpressCard -> TB2 system.

The lesson learned is, if you have an old GPU and have detection issues, check in MacOS if the enclosure shows up in the Thunderbolt tab of System Report. If it does, it's most likely that your enclosure is fine but the GPU is too old for it.

Thanks again @itsage and @devild !

ReplyQuote