Bootcamp win10 on a MBP mid 2012 wont detect my Core X Chroma with a Rx 590

Notifications

Bootcamp win10 on a MBP mid 2012 wont detect my Core X Chroma with a Rx 590  

RSS

(@jesus)

Hello everyone, 
  Well I bought a Core X Chroma with a Saphire Rx 590 to play games on bootcamp but when I plug in the Egpu nothing comes up, it works fine in OSX as it recognizes my egpu but not in windows 10 anyone can help me with the steps for doing this possible, I have been reading in the forums something about an EFI but I don't really understand how to do this or do I need to uninstall my current Bootcamp. 
   Thank you all

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
atlr
 atlr
(@atlr)

@jesus

Type winver in Windows "type here to search" prompt at the bottom left of the main display and and select run the winver command.
If you see "Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.xxx)" where xxx is 329 , 356 or 387 , go to Windows "view your update history" and uninstall KB4515384.

There might be other or different updates to uninstall.  For more information if you are running Windows 10 Version 1903, read https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/egpu-fail-after-update-to-windows-19-03/

Update the bootcamp Thunderbolt WMI driver package 17.4.77.400 by installing version 17.4.78.500.
One place to download 17.4.78.500 is 
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t580-type-20l9-20la/downloads/DS502250

You might also need to install AMD Radeon drivers.

This post was modified 5 months ago

User of eGPUs at my job.

ReplyQuote
(@jesus)

@atlr mine says version 1903 (OS Build 18362.30) idk

well nothing worked and i dont get anything from the post given

anyone know why my bootcamp of windows 10 wont detect my Core X Chroma?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

Read one of the build guides for your laptop. I have one for the 13" model and clarketus has a good one for the 15" version.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
(@jesus)

@nu_ninja

I found one but it tells me to create a EFI which i dont understand the steps

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

Well I can't explain it any better than I did in my own guide:

Start with a UEFI installation of windows. This is NOT the way Bootcamp Assistant installs windows on these macs so a manual installation has to be done. Use Bootcamp Assistant to create an install disk but don't use it to do the full installation. Instead, partition the drive in disk utility (make sure the partition table is GUID format and create bootcamp partition in FAT format) then boot to the windows install disk or USB drive (hold option when starting up and select the install disk) to install windows. You can check if an installation is UEFI vs BIOS by running msinfo32 in the windows run prompt (Win+R). The BIOS mode should be UEFI.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)

ReplyQuote
(@jesus)

@nu_ninja

should i be in windows or osx?

you want me to create a second partition using the windows disk and make it into a Fat format?

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

My instructions are to start from mac os and create a NEW windows install from the directions in my build. You also haven't said whether your macbook is the 13 or 15 inch model, you should only follow my steps for the 13".

ReplyQuote