Build in Progress: 16" 2019 MacBook Pro + Razer Core X + RTX 2060 + Windows 10 2...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Build in Progress: 16" 2019 MacBook Pro + Razer Core X + RTX 2060 + Windows 10 2004  

RSS

kanrakuzh
(@kanrakuzh)

Setup:
- 2019 MacBook Pro 16" (i9/32GB/Radeon Pro 5500M)
- Enclosure: Razer Core X
- Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 KO ULTRA GAMING

After spending some time going through the forums here I had expected similar experience to Plug and play with GTX 1660 Ti or Plug and play with old drivers (431.60) and decided to try the setup described above.

The eGPU enclosure is connected using the cable provided with the Core X to the top left Thunderbolt 3 port, with no other peripherals attached at that time.
Attempting to boot with this powered on hangs, however hot plugging appears to mostly work.

After mainly seeing code 43 in Windows 10 1903 I upgraded to 2004 as based on some other builds this seems to enable almost plug and play setups.

My current status is the card shows up without errors in Device Manager and (partially) in HWiNFO — however there is no output to the attached monitor and it can not be selected in Display settings.

Trying to launch the NVIDIA Control Panel fails silently.

At this point it's unclear to me what exactly the issue is as it's not one of the common device manager faults.

The eGPU on Thunderbolt 3 Mac How-To seems a bit unclear to me since there seems to be no way to force enabling the iGPU on the 16" 2019 MacBook Pro and the build guides I've checked so far don't seem to list this or any EFI changes being needed in the ideal case.

For reference here are some screenshots of my current configuration in its "best" state: https://imgur.com/a/ZsTiHye

This topic was modified 1 month ago
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 2060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kanrakuzh
(@kanrakuzh)

To rule out the missing EFI changes as being the cause I've followed https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/macbook-pro-16-windows-egpu-error-12-fix/ to make sure the iGPU loads.

Now I can routinely see the iGPU, dGPU and eGPU after booting.

Hot-plugging to ports other than the top left leads to code 43 or code 12 errors.

However only the iGPU is recognized as a GPU.

See screenshots in https://imgur.com/a/tiFLEnH

I've also tried the NVIDIA driver installed automatically by windows which is dated August 12 2020. (27.21.14.5206). Even here the NVIDIA Control Panel does not open.

I'm really struggling at this point as I don't seem to have missed anything obvious (although probably I have). Typically seeing all three display adapters is where most guides end because the monitor attached to the eGPU starts working and can be used. In my case this doesn't seem to be the case though.

Am I missing anything?

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RTX 2060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
kanrakuzh
(@kanrakuzh)

After eventually ending up with an unbootable windows I decided to reset BootCamp and try getting a clearer idea of what might be going wrong by going for a clean slate.

I realised that I needed to use the Big Sur Beta 10 I had installed previously to run the Boot Camp assistant.

Now I have Windows 10 20H2 where both hot plug and cold boot seems to be working - booting no longer hangs with the eGPU attached and powered on. To be precise booting Windows and Big Sur is possible with the eGPU cold-plugged. Attempting to boot 10.15.7 hangs on a black internal display.

Unfortunately the eGPU still doesn't output to any displays and I can't open the NVIDIA Control Panel (if the eGPU is detached an error is shown, when attached it fails silently).

I've also noticed that while Device Manager shows the RTX 2060 as a display adaptor in the "Safely Remove Hardware" menu and the Devices and Printers control panel it is listed as a "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)".

Can someone confirm if the labels should show the actual GPU type here or they remain generic?

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
kanrakuzh
(@kanrakuzh)

It turns out that in the end the 6+2 power connector had become loose causing the card to not be powered correctly.

After reseating the connector the card functions correctly by Plug and Play.

Build to follow.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@kanrakuzh

Great. Thanks for the detailed info.  So - you now have the Windows 20H2 fall update working well with your RTX 2060 in Bootcamp?

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
kanrakuzh
(@kanrakuzh)

@mini-i5 I've now been running with the setup in my build for a couple of days. So far it seems pretty stable.

The most common issue I've had (though not on every boot) is the missing Bluetooth when booting with the eGPU cold-plugged (see https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/razer-core-x-disables-bluetooth-when-connected-to-macbook-pro-16-2019-model-on-windows-10-2004/). The workaround by disabling the "Broadcom Serial Bus Driver over UART Bus Enumerator" before rebooting at least gives me something to do but I'm not sure if it really helps.

I usually have my monitor plugged in by USB-C for macOS (DisplayPort alternate mode) to also act as a hub. Unplugging this connection at boot seems to be the best fix in my situation.

I've had some issues with Microsoft Flight Simulator selecting the dGPU more often than not which is a bit of a hassle, but it's not really a fundamental build issue I think.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@kanrakuzh

Very cool. Thanks for letting us know you’re able to make Windows 20H2 work in Bootcamp with Big Sur Beta 10 on the 16” MBP

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote