Clean reboots w/ bootcamp on 2018 Mac Mini + Sonnet 750 + RX 580

Notifications
Clear all

Clean reboots w/ bootcamp on 2018 Mac Mini + Sonnet 750 + RX 580  

RSS

bdruth
(@bdruth)

Hi - I've setup bootcamp successfully, booting bootcamp from an external TB3 drive. Unfortunately, it requires a bit of a song and dance to boot successfully, or reboot successfully. Right now, what I'm doing is booting w/ `option/alt` pressed to get the disk options, while eGPU is unplugged and HDMI is plugged in to the mini. Once I get the boot options, I arrow over to the correct option and then unplug HDMI, plug in eGPU and then hit enter on the keyboard.

This works reliably. If I reboot, leaving the eGPU connected, I get a black screen or possibly a boot loop - it's hard to say exactly. I don't really boot back into the macOS side unless I need to diagnose a problem. I'm pretty sure I have the start disk set to Windows, both from the macOS side as well as the Windows side. When I `option/alt` boot, I get three disk options, one is the internal drive, then I get two "external" icons.

I unfortunately don't remember exactly what I did to initially get everything setup, as it's been awhile ... I've just been living with the inconvenience. I want to turn my system off overnight, tho, as it draws a good bit of electricity with everything running, so it's become more of a daily annoyance that I'd like to resolve.

Searching through the forum, it seems like there's a few different options floating around, I'm just not having luck sorting out which option should address this for this setup. Some of them talk about needing to disable the dGPU, which I don't think applies on the 2018 mac mini, right?

Any help appreciated!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@bdruth, the boot picker screen (and similarly macOS FileVault login screen which is rendered by EFI) cannot be displayed over eGPU-connected display. If you disable FileVault, it should be easy to restart from Windows to macOS via the Bootcamp app in the Windows toolbar. macOS to Windows could be done via System Prefs in macOS (default boot disk changes to Windows if you do this).

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS
Definitive macOS Thunderbolt eGFX Compatibility Registry

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
bdruth
(@bdruth)

Posted by: @mac_editor

@bdruth, the boot picker screen (and similarly macOS FileVault login screen which is rendered by EFI) cannot be displayed over eGPU-connected display. If you disable FileVault, it should be easy to restart from Windows to macOS via the Bootcamp app in the Windows toolbar. macOS to Windows could be done via System Prefs in macOS (default boot disk changes to Windows if you do this).

I don't think I have FileVault enabled, but I will double check.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote