Constant BSOD with Windows 1903, MacBook Pro 16"

Notifications

Constant BSOD with Windows 1903, MacBook Pro 16"  

RSS

freshpots
(@freshpots)

Hi everyone.. So this has nothing really to do with GPUs but this community seems to know more about BootCamp than Apple and Windows combined so I'm hoping for some guidance here.. TLDR at the bottom

So I have what I can only assume is a issue that affects not just Windows OS but my MacBook as a whole. For what its worth it's the new 16" MBP 2.4/2TB/32GB/5500M config; I ordered it pretty much the day it was available and installed BootCamp successfully 3 days ago.

I really only installed it to play RDR2, I installed a few other typical apps such as Steam of course, Chrome, MSI afterburner (just for the info overlay in game).

I also installed the Adrenalin drivers from www.bootcamp.com that everyone has seemed to be having success with. I used to have a 5k iMac and have used the drivers from him before and they worked well.

I played around 4-5 hours of RDR2 across two days. Using Vulkan API the CPU would hover around 80-90 degrees and sometimes even touching 100. I don't know how accurate the MSI app is on bootcamp, but with using DX12 the CPU averaged around 75 degrees.

This morning I turned my laptop on and when the Windows login screen popped up, my fans immediately spun up to 100% for literally half a second and then I got a BSOD. It cannot self repair, I can restart it as many times as I want and still a BSOD appears. The error is "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA".

I was at a loss so I transferred my game data onto an external drive and reinstalled Windows via Bootcamp in Mac OS. Easy process, took 10 mins, same as before. Windows was set up quickly and I was able to restart the process... Download steam... Download RDR2... Only halfway through the download, my network disconnected and I got the same BSOD for the same error.

I'm worried now that it's an issue with the computer itself . Could playing a game on this laptop fried something? Everyone else seems to be gaming fine on even the older, less thermally-balanced 2018/17/16 MacBook Pro's.

Does anyone have any insight? Mac OS itself seems to be running totally fine...

TLDR; getting a "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" BSOD constantly after about 2-3 days of using BootCamp to play RDR2. Freshly reinstalled Windows 10 via Bootcamp and proceeded to re download the game via Steam. Network cut out, BSOD. Back to square 1...

What's interesting is the first time I installed RDR2 (before all this BSOD nonsense), I do remember the network cutting out halfway through for some reason. I had to restart and resume the download to get it to finish.. Weird

Anyways, I know it's not eGPU related but like I said you all are pretty knowledgeable with Bootcamp and I was hoping for some help here.. Wondering if I should try and return this Macbook. I have until January 8th to do so as I purchased it within the holiday period

This topic was modified 2 months ago

2019 16" MacBook Pro | i9 2.4 | 5500M 8GB | 32GB | 2TB |

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@freshpots

On the surface it sounds like Windows being obtuse, but given that you reinstalled it, I am surprised to see the problem persisted. Are you using any external devices while in bootcamp? In case you haven't tried, maybe consider setting everything up without any external devices connected (power is fine). Some other usual debugging tricks to try:

• SMC/NVRAM reset.
  • Different versions of Windows 10 (1903 recommended).

You might also have luck at an Apple store if you are consistently able to reproduce the problem. I looked up the error and here's Microsoft's troubleshooter: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14238/windows-10-troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

If it is hardware problem, then it should be reproducible in macOS. Try straining the system in macOS and see what happens.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
freshpots
(@freshpots)

@mac_editor

I was using some external devices, quite a few actually. I have my MBP plugged into a Lacie HDD/Dock via TB3, which has another USB hub daisy chained to it for my peripherals (MIDI controller for Adobe Lightroom sliders, Logitech mouse, Yamaha speakers, guitar amp, phone chargers etc). My external display is also plugged into the dock via DisplayPort.

All of this was working perfectly, without any additional drivers. Then I just randomly got the BSOD at the login screen. When I reinstalled windows yesterday, it was with nothing attached to the computer whatsoever. I got the BSOD again while nothing was attached as well

I just ran Cinebench R20 in Mac OS and everything looked normal.. Averaged 3.1 to 3.2ghz, temp hovering around 96-97 degrees with 100% core utilization, I think my score was around 3300 or so which is about average for this machine in my configuration.

No idea what to do, considering just swapping it out with another one at the Apple store to be safe but that's a huge pain in the ass

ReplyQuote
freshpots
(@freshpots)

Posted by: @freshpots

was using some external devices

Sorry this was a lie, you can't run Bootcamp installer with external drives attached so I must have disconnected them. So yeah I installed it twice the same way both times.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@freshpots

Did you try NVRAM and SMC reset? Also, perhaps stress the GPU and CPU simultaneously (though I doubt this is the problem).

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
freshpots
(@freshpots)

@mac_editor

Are those resets something I would do in Mac OS or Windows? 

I’ll try and run fortnite or something on Mac OS and stress the GPU just to be sure.. although I did run diagnostics on the Mac and it didn’t find any issues

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
freshpots
(@freshpots)

@mac_editor

Awesome, thanks. I'll give that a shot, I appreciate all the help!

ReplyQuote