eGPU can't display on internal screen - MacBook Pro 2019

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU can't display on internal screen - MacBook Pro 2019  

RSS

fan58kc
(@fan58kc)

Good evening! Thanks to the guidance provided by this community I've been able to do connect and get everything to work except for the eGPU accelerated internal display. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem? So far, the eGPU connects flawlessly and displays on an external display without a hitch.

Background:

MacBook Pro 13 2019 i5 base model 128gb

Sonnet Beakaway box ~500w + 1060 6gb

Installation:

-Installed bootcamp w/ Mac assist

-Hot plugging during Windows loading and after Windows will crash windows (after a heavily distorted/noisy screen)

-After restart, eGPU will be recognized and automatically updated without issue

-eGPU can now be seen both in device manager and Nvidia control.

The issue is the eGPU is recognized by the system but windows seems to ignore it and not use it. Heaven lists GTX 1060 during benchmark but FPS clearly suggests igpu is doing the work. Looks like issue persists after re-loading drivers, uninstalling 1060, using latest windows and windows 1903 update, setting heaven for max performance on graphics settings, etc. External works though.

Looking at builds suggest this is not much of an issue for other people out there with the 2019 model, any ideas? Many thanks

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@eightarmedpet,  That is one option for eGPU internal display acceleration in Windows. However @fan58kc has an iGPU only laptop and Nvidia Optimus would be a much nicer option to accomplish the same task. Reading through the installation process my guess is the drivers installation was automatically done by Windows and it was corrupted prior to full completion. Nvidia Optimus features might not have been installed properly. My recommendation is to download and run DDU to remove the half-functional Nvidia drivers then perform a manual install of latest drivers from Nvidia website.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
(@heidi_anderson)

@fan58kc,  how did you get windows to restart after hot-plug crash? Mine just stays frozen after the distorted blue screen goes away.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
fan58kc
(@fan58kc)

@heidi_anderson,  Unfortunately I have to power off the pc and hotplug the egpu during when the windows loading icon shows up. Occasionally, I can plug in the Egpu directly after windows loaded and the pc will accept it without crashing as well.

ReplyQuote