eGPU detection issues on Razer Core X + 5700 XT Nitro+ SE + Mac mini late 2012

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU detection issues on Razer Core X + 5700 XT Nitro+ SE + Mac mini late 2012  

RSS

Stardock
(@stardock)

My current setup is this:

Razer Core X > Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ SE 8GB > TB3 to TB2 adapter > TB2 cable > Mac mini late 2012 (1x TB1 port only)

Spec of Mac mini late 2012 -- 2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB

Catalina version is 10.5.6

The reason why I'm not using the internal 1TB Fusion drive (128GB SSD) for the OS is because it gave me a S.M.A.R.T error and I thought it would be fixed if it formatted it. But turns out both the SSD and the HDD portion are "broken" according to OS X. So even though it still technically works and I'm willing to risk losing data on it (I can always just backup), it's preventing me from installing any OS on it. I've tried installing both Windows and Mojave/Catalina but no avail. So unless there is a way to bypass S.M.A.R.T error which I'm not aware of, I can only use the Fusion drive as storage solution.

Anyways, I also have a Windows on my second external HDD that I can boot up as well. I used this guide to set it up:

Now the issue is, although both Catalina and Windows (18362.30) are bootable on my Mac mini I can't seem to get my eGPU to be detected. I mainly want the eGPU on Windows so I'm putting effort on that end. But after setting up drivers for boot camp on Windows (copied from Windows Support Software), installing bootcampdrivers.com and running DDU, Adrenaline April 2020 Red Gaming edition doesn't seem to be able to detect the eGPU either (and neither does device manager).

As expected, when I try booting windows while hot plugging in the eGPU, the screen goes blank and I have to restart the computer again with the TB1 connection unplugged. I've tried following this guide: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/paged/1/ and copy and pasted the bootx64.efi under the folder tree of /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi in the USB stick as suggested. And after booting off of it, my eGPU appeared to be detected by it as shown in this video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pc3kTS24Txoa3oAC7 but it kept on displaying this message over and over again endlessly. The error seems to be "Unable to load bootx64_original.efi to memory". I feel like I'm getting closer to getting it working but I'm not sure what I should try next. Any ideas?

This topic was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Stardock
(@stardock)

Update: after following this guide, my eGPU was finally able to get detected! I'm not sure if I followed the steps correctly though. What I basically did was create an EFI partition inside windows 10 external HDD using clover configurator. And renamed the file bootx64.efi that was under /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi into bootx64_original.efi. And then downloaded bootx64.efi from the link provided in the guide and copied it into /EFI/Boot/ as well. So I basically have both bootx64.efi and bootx64_original.efi under the /EFI/Boot folder.

Although my eGPU was finally able to get detected by Windows 10, it took a bit of trial and error though. Because in the guide, it tells you to plug in the eGPU only after the apple_set_os hasloaded. But for me, I've found that if I don't have the eGPU plugged in (and turned on) before the EFI is loaded, the graphics card seems to not get detected even when windows boots up. 

Only issue right now is that the second monitor that's plugged into the eGPU isn't showing up. But other than that, everything looks fine. The correct driver for the 5700 XT was picked up on Radeon Software Adrenaline April 2020 from Bootcampdrivers.com as well. Only concern now is what's going to happen after I shutdown the computer. Fingers crossed that it will detect eGPU again in my next boot.

Update 2: Everything went well after shutdown and my eGPU was picked up again after running windows as usual from external HDD (EFI loads automatically since it's inside the HDD's partition). Also, I've managed to fix the display from eGPU not working by downloading radeon adrenalin 2020 from the official website and updating to the latest driver, instead of from bootcampdrivers.com. Not sure why that worked but it did. Now that my second monitor through eGPU is working, I'm going to see if video games are playable on it.

This post was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote