Notifications
Clear all

eGPU Noob Questions  

RSS

Antonio Miragaya
(@antonio_miragaya)

Good morning/afternoon. Hope you are all doing well. I recently just ordered a Razer Core X and an RX 5700 XT to use on my 2017 15" MacBook Pro and I had a couple questions that I would like to see if any of you can answer. 

1. Im on Windows 10 Version 1909, Build 18363.900. From my understanding it looks like it wont work without some work arounds or updating/downgrading my OS. Can anyone please suggest an OS that is the least problematic. Ideally I would like to not have to do any work arounds, but if necessary, I would like to go the easier route. From what i gathered specific builds of 1903 seem to work and some even said 2004 works as well.

2. The major question. I am not always stationary at my desk where my eGPU will sit. Sometimes I do work remotely so in those times I will need to depends on the dGPU in my MacBook. How will I go about using my iGPU + eGPU while at home, and then using my dGPU when I'm not home. Just curious how this works, perhaps I am overthinking it.

Any tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Arizor
(@arizor)
Trusted Member

Hi Antonio -

1. You might run into problems with 1909, specifically the dreaded error 12. Yes most folks have success with 1903 for AMD cards; 2004 is still a bit of an unknown quantity (can be worth a try though). See here for tips - https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/2016-macbook-pro-solving-egpu-error-12-in-windows-10/  

2. If you want to use your eGPU and dGPU in Bootcamp, you'll need the drivers from https://www.bootcampdrivers.com . These will work for both GPUs, for your case scenario the 'RED' drivers are recommended.

2019 16-inch MacBook Pro Retina (2.3ghz Intel i9) // Radeon 5500M (8GB).
MacOS Catalina // Bootcamp Win10 2004 (Build 19041).
Razer Core X // Vega 64 // 2m Active Thunderbolt cable.

ReplyQuote
Antonio Miragaya
(@antonio_miragaya)

@arizor, Thanks so much for the insight. I currently use the bootcampdrivers.com drivers anyways so I’m familiar with the process. I guess one final question. I’ve seen people talking about being able to hot plug in some 18XX versions. I’m not concerned about hot plugging, but being able to hot plug, to me, implies better compatibility. I’m fine with downgrading all the way down to an 18XX version. Would you recommend going that far or do you think 1903 will be sufficient? Thanks for the help again. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Arizor
(@arizor)
Trusted Member

Definitely stick with 1903 and above (if it works of course!), the old 18 versions can cause headaches depending upon what you want to run in Windows.

2019 16-inch MacBook Pro Retina (2.3ghz Intel i9) // Radeon 5500M (8GB).
MacOS Catalina // Bootcamp Win10 2004 (Build 19041).
Razer Core X // Vega 64 // 2m Active Thunderbolt cable.

ReplyQuote