eGPU not recognized in Win10: Macbook Pro 2019 16-inch + Razer Core X Chroma + N...

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU not recognized in Win10: Macbook Pro 2019 16-inch + Razer Core X Chroma + NVidia GeForce GTX 1060  

RSS

frm
 frm
(@frm)

Hey folks!

Sorry for creating yet another topic, but I feel I hve exhausted my options. I previously had a 2017 Macbook Pro set up with a Razer Core X Chroma and an NVidia GeForce GTX 1060, running Win10 build 1900-something, on an external SSD. All smooth, everything went right with Plug & Play.

I had to upgrade the computer this week to a 2019 Macbook Pro, the one with those pesky T2 chips, and I did a clean Win10 install (now running build 2004). The same Razer Core X that worked on a MBP 2017 + Win10 19XX, on the previous day, was not working for a MBP 2019 + Win10 2004. The OS isn't automatically recognizing it, which seems to be unusual judging by equivalent builds on this website.

The Razer Core X drivers aren't installed. Yet, plugging in the TB3 cable charges the computer + running it on macOS it is detected (even though the GPU isn't compatible, it still detects the Razer Core X). This seems to rule out hardware failure.

I've tried pretty much everything:

• port dancing
  • hot-plugging it
  • not hot-plugging it
  • hot-plugging it when the Win10 logo pops up (this actually caused the system to freeze)
  • doing all of the above in different ports including the left/right closest to the screen
  • using @goalque 's automate-eGPU EFI with and without the macOS Catalina fix by @mac_editor - when I go to select Load Windows, it just hangs until I have to force the shutdown with the power button. This doesn't happen for macOS, although it takes a LONG time to start the OS. It seems that having the Win10 installed on the external SSD might be causing the boot loader to not recognize where to begin the boot up process. The boot loader screen does say an eGPU is detected, indeed, I just can't launch Windows on it.
  • reinstalling Win10
  • all of the above but during a full moon

I've pretty much read all the threads I could on this topic and was unable to find a working solution.

The Razer case never gets recognized and the drivers never get installed. Device Manager had a "Razer Core X" entry in the keyboard and Human Interface Device sections, in my previous set up. These never show up now. This prevents me from installing NVidia drivers, of course, as the GPU is never found during the install process.

I have seen similar setups which all seem to work through plug & play, but none seems to be having this specific issue, so hopefully this will work as a reference for the future. Any ideas on how to go with this?

Either direct automate-eGPU EFI to use the correct disk location or to somehow force Win10 to install the drivers?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.6 and have an AMD Radeon Pro 5300M dGPU.

2019 Macbook Pro + Razer Core X Chroma + NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 + Win10 2004

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@frm, For a Mac with Apple T2 Security Chip, you should disable Security Boot first and use the modified apple_set_of v0.5 boot loader. It's best to use Windows 10 1903 V1.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote