eGPU preformance is... not what I expected. CPU does wild things but it's not bo...

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU preformance is... not what I expected. CPU does wild things but it's not bottlenecking | MBP 15" core i7 mid 2016 | XT 5600 Thicc II | Razer Core X Chroma |  

RSS

Paul-John Elisha
(@paul-john_elisha)

Hey first post ever,

After 2 days of crying and wanting to switch to a PC instead of using Mac, I finally got my eGPU to work again (first time was with AMD 580 GPU, this time with AMD XFX 5600 Thicc II). First I tried 1903 and nothing. Then 1909, nothing. After reading several guides and then seeing a post that the fast insider ring Windows update 2004 20161.1000 magically fixed macbook users code 12 issues, it sadly did NOT work for me in the perfect way that many users described. BUT after I forgot to options boot my Mac into MacOS I saw an EFI loader on my screen thing automagically fell into place. I can now boot from the EFI and choose mac or windows with things appearing on my monitor just fine with my laptop closed.

Things were working great, however, it crashed after an hour of game play by giving me a green screen. I felt my laptop and it was super hot (yes, my laptop fans were at full blast just before the crash). After reading up on it, a user suggested that you should limit the maximum processor setting in Advanced Power Settings and that seemed to do the trick when I set it to around 60% (since then, I've tried many other settings and finally left it at 90%). I haven't had any crashes since then. So I thought everything was great and I now have all this raw power in the Core X just waiting for me to use when I game. Nothing seemed extraordinary but I turned a blind eye hoping and wishing everything was working fine.

UNTIL I started playing next to my friend using just his 2015 lenovo legion laptop GTX 1050.

I noticed how much better his gaming performance was than mine and and how smoothly games were running for him. We play League of Legends and Risk of Rain 2. I downloaded a CPU/GPU usage meter and saw that most of my processing is happening on my CPU with my GPU utilization sitting around 4-16% at 40 Celsius. Sometimes spiking to 30% and then immediately back down. My cores on my CPU are ranging from 50-80% at 70 Celsius. I watched some videos for optimizing settings to help things run through my GPU but nothing seemed to work. I did a bench mark on MSI Kombustor and Heaven Benchmark 4.0 and got great (I think) results. My GPU was at 99% and my CPU was around 25% on Kombustor. I'll attach the photos below.

Is anyone going through this too or is it just me?

Annotation 2020 07 16 012928
Annotation 2020 07 16 012212

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Reputable Member

@paul-john_elisha, in display setting you need to make sure your ext screen is the main screen and accelerated, additionally in game mode you can add the game you play to be egpu accelerated

A) 2020 MacBook Pro, i7-1038NG7, 32GB RAM, 1TB, EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, Samsung 65 Q70R
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5, Internal Bootcamp Windows 10 2004 pci.sys swap.
B) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295

C) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1803

D) 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
Paul-John Elisha
(@paul-john_elisha)

Posted by: @tsakal

in display setting you need to make sure your ext screen is the main screen and accelerated, additionally in game mode you can add the game you play to be egpu accelerated

Hi, Thank you for your reply.

I have already made my external screen the main screen, but I don't know what you mean by accelerated. In the AMD software I have already added the games as well as have added them on the windows side. 

However, I just renenabled my 1901 PCI x16 port in device manager and my laptop screen came back on. Keeping the external monitor as my main display and closing my laptop has fixed the problem! GPU is working great now in Risk of Rain 2 and I have yet to test it out elsewhere. But things are looking up from here. 

Thank you

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote