eGPU with Retina iMac 2015 for games in Windows for internal iMac display

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU with Retina iMac 2015 for games in Windows for internal iMac display  

RSS

yourfavorite
(@yourfavorite)

I'd like to improve gaming performance on my 27" Retina iMac 2015 without having to build an entire gaming rig and finding a place to put another monitor. So my thinking is that I could just get an eGPU and use that when I'm in Windows. As I understand it from reading, the eGPU should work just fine in Windows since there are drivers for most all of the cards. My concern is that I am unclear on whether I will be able to use the eGPU for the internal display on the iMac or if the eGPU will only work . This is the most important piece to me since I am unable to fit another monitor in my current setup. Thanks!

Sorry if this has been answered before. I've been digging for a bit and can't seem to find a solid answer.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Unfortunately Apple disabled the iGPU in iMacs with a discrete GPU. Therefore using the internal display with an eGPU in Windows will involve a workaround and a big drop in performance.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
yourfavorite
(@yourfavorite)

Thanks for the info @itsage. I think I'm going to join the PC Master Race and use my MBP for design work.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote