[Error 43] 2016 MacBook Pro 15" + Razer Core X + GTX 1660 Super

Notifications
Clear all

[Error 43] 2016 MacBook Pro 15" + Razer Core X + GTX 1660 Super  

RSS

MenelausJ
(@menelausj)

I tried hot-plug for the first time and as expected got error 12. Then I turned to itsage's instruction, and below are some of the troubles I met during the setup:

1. I cannot cold-plug the eGPU. I mean, plugging in the cable when mac is shut down and using the eGPU's power to boot up. In this case the screen doesn't light up, but trackpad has force touch feedback, and fan noise on both mac and eGPU turns loud. This happens regardless of the setup.
  2. Because of the first problem, I tried timed plugging at the Windows logo during boot up. Most of the case Windows can detect the eGPU under Device Manager and shows either no problem or error 43, driver can install without any warning, but CUDA-Z or GeForce Experience cannot detect it.

It worked for me only once out of 20+ trials, after manually recovered from some restore point, but unfortunately that setup was ruined by trying to install Ubuntu alongside the other two systems, and I have never been able to replicate it since then. Windows 1803, 1903 (build 18362.30) and 2004, Nvidia 446.14 and 451.48 have been tested. My macOS is 10.15.5.

This topic was modified 3 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@menelausj, How did you install the Nvidia graphics drivers? My recommendation is to download and run DDU to clean up Nvidia graphics drivers then manually install the latest version for your GTX 1660. In order to cold-boot with eGPU connected, you'd need an EFI boot loader so that the iGPU remains activated and internal display stays visible.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote