[Error 43] - 2020 Mac Mini - Asus XG Station Pro - 5700 XT

Notifications
Clear all

[Error 43] - 2020 Mac Mini - Asus XG Station Pro - 5700 XT  

RSS

silver_rapier
(@silver_rapier)

I've gotten this close to working, but am stuck on Error 43. Here's my process so far

1. Install Win 10 1903 (18362.30) Update to (18362.295)
  2. Disable windows update
  3. Install apple bootcamp drivers
  4. Install apple_set_os loader v0.5 for apple T2
  5. DDU the AMD drivers
  6. Install latest AMD drivers

The graphics card shows up in device manager, but with Code 43. When I try to open up the radeon software, it complains that "No AMD graphics driver is installed or the AMD driver is not functioning properly".

Things I've tried:

• Using Win 10 2004 insider fast and insider slow instead -> graphics card shows up with error 12
  • Reinstalling AMD drivers after DDU -> still shows up with error 43
  • Hot plugging eGPU after boot -> graphics card doesn't show up in device manager
  • "Port dance" during boot -> graphics card doesn't show up in device manager
  • Disabling other PCI devices -> other devices don't work, but error 43 still shows up for graphics card
  • Enabling and disabling the graphics card in device manager -> still shows error 43 after re-enabling

The graphics card and enclosure work properly on Mac OS, so it's not broken hardware. Any suggestions?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@silver_rapier, 2012 Mac mini does not have hot-plug support so you'd likely need to have the eGPU cold-plugged prior to booting into Windows. I'd recommend using automate-eGPU EFI boot loader for non-T2 Security Chip Macs. Try the setup process again with Win10 1903 V1.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
silver_rapier
(@silver_rapier)

It's the 2018 (2020 refresh) Mac Mini, so it has the T2 chip and I'm using the recommended apple_set_os loader v0.5 for apple T2. Should I still try automate-eGPU EFI anyways?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@silver_rapier, Sorry somehow I read that as 2012. The 2018/2020 Mac mini has Apple T2 Security Chip so the modified apple_set_os.efi v0.5 is the right boot loader to use. Keep trying with Win10 1903 V1. I have my 2018 Mac mini with a similar setup and always cold-boot. Try an older version of Radeon drivers such as 20.4.2.

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
silver_rapier
(@silver_rapier)

Thanks for the encouragement! I feel like I’m close after getting past error 12 but still am missing something with this error 43

I was trying the 20.4.2 drivers and also just tried 20.8.2. Any other ideas?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@silver_rapier, This is my most recent build with the RX 5700 XT eGPU. The only difference is that I use a secondary USB-C monitor off the Intel iGPU. Other than that the setup procedure should be the same. Have you tried connecting the monitor to eGPU only? There won't be any visible until Windows and Radeon drivers load.

ReplyQuote
silver_rapier
(@silver_rapier)

When connecting eGPU only it boots fine, but no display. It starts showing display after I connect USB-C off the iGPU. I looked through your build and your link to this thread: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mac-pro-6-1-rx-580-egpu-bootcamp-success-somehow/ .

I tried some of the PCI-bridge disabling mentioned in that post but it didn't work. I guess the Mac Mini is different from the Mac Pro 🙁

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@silver_rapier, The 2013 Mac Pro is much different than 2018 Mac mini. Here's the build link - https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2018-mac-mini-8th6cb-rx-5700-xt-32gbps-tb3-mantiz-venus-macos-10-15-3-win10-1903-itsage/

ReplyQuote
silver_rapier
(@silver_rapier)

I finally got this working after a hot plug into a different thunderbolt port. For some reason this triggered the resources to reload and everything started working. I had tried before on the same port without success. Thanks for all your help!

ReplyQuote