Fast Insider Builds (19592)? RX 5700 XT with Internal Monitor/16 inch MBP?

Notifications
Clear all

Fast Insider Builds (19592)? RX 5700 XT with Internal Monitor/16 inch MBP?  

RSS

egpusnovicewithquestions
(@egpusnovicewithquestions)

Hi,

I have just bought my first eGPU, and while waiting for it to arrive I would like to ask a few questions that I can’t seem to find clear answers to. Sorry if these questions have been answered before, but the more I read about these things the more confused I get. :/

First – my intended use includes working with Unity 3D in macOS, working with Unity 3D in Windows 10 (bootcamp), and (attempting) to use Windows 10 (bootcamp) for wireless PCVR using the HTC Focus Plus and the wireless streaming functionality of AMD ReLive and/or Viveport.

As I would like to be able to use the eGPU with macOS, I opted for the RX 5700 XT. I chose this despite having read about the potential difficulties of getting AMD to work in bootcamp.

Before deciding to buy the RX 5700 XT, I read on this forum, bootcampdrivers.com, and reddit, that the fast ring insider preview build(s) from a few months back seem to solve the issues with AMD (?). The same forum posts usually have people commenting that the insider builds aren’t working for some individuals, so I am getting a bit confused as to what eGPU builds and system specs this affects.

The long introduction aside, my questions are:

1. Will the fast ring insider builds (specifically 19592), coupled with the modified Adrenalin January 2020 bootcamp drivers, allow me to “plug-and-play” the RX 5700 XT/Razer Core X, with my 16 inch MBP bootcamp setup? Or do the fast ring builds still need to be combined with other “hacks” such as EFI stuff/force-activating the iGPU/Port dance?
  2. If using the internal display of the 16 inch MBP (both with macOS and bootcamp Win 10), will the eGPU work fine when plugged directly into the laptop with nothing else added?
  3. I’ve seen "dummy plugs”, “headless ghost", “display emulator” etc mentioned in several posts. From my understanding, these were vital a few years ago, but are they needed with the latest versions of macOS Catalina and Win 10? Would adding these adapters increase performance in any way? And if so, how many/what adapters would you ideally add to the RX 5700 XT?

Sorry for the wall of text. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Smile

System specs

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

• CPU: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
  • MEM: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
  • HDD: 2TB SSD
  • dGPU: Radeon 5500M

eGPU hardware

OS

• macOS Catalina 10.15.4
  • Windows 10 Insider Preview build 19592 (March 25, 2020)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), CPU: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, MEM: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, HDD: 2TB SSD, dGPU: Radeon 5500M, eGPU: XFX RX 5700 XT THICC III Ultra w/ Razer Core X, OS: macOS Catalina 10.15.4 & Windows 10 Insider Preview build 19592

ReplyQuote
Misha Nya
(@misha_nya)

Im sorry for disappointing you, but AMD eGPU with an internal screen driven by a dGPU works terribly unreliable. Workarounds like disable dGPU for the internal screen working in Windows also works badly in my experience (and it works different from minor MacBook generations).

For comparison I have 2019 13inch MacBook and 16inch MacBook, gtx 2070 gaming box egpu, Vega 64 egpu. I tested every combination (internal screen, macOS, Windows, External Screen, each eGPU), MacBook Pro 16inch internal screen gaming totally sucks compared to MacBook Pro 13inch, difference between dGPU barely noticeable.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
egpusnovicewithquestions
(@egpusnovicewithquestions)

@misha_nya, Thanks for the reply! Smile I see, that doesn't sound too promising. When using Windows, did you change any of the graphics switching settings? I wonder if a dummy plugs/headless ghost would make any difference...

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), CPU: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, MEM: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, HDD: 2TB SSD, dGPU: Radeon 5500M, eGPU: XFX RX 5700 XT THICC III Ultra w/ Razer Core X, OS: macOS Catalina 10.15.4 & Windows 10 Insider Preview build 19592

ReplyQuote