Gigabyte Gaming Box GTX 1080 MacOS Mojave/windows 10

Notifications

Gigabyte Gaming Box GTX 1080 MacOS Mojave/windows 10  

RSS

techno
(@techno)

from my understanding, this setup will work natively in windows but NOT in MacOS Mojave, correct? im looking to game via bootcamp on an a1398 m370x. i don't need the gtx 1080 to work in mac os as for what i do the m370x will be sufficient coming from a a1502 with integrated graphics.

Aorus GTX 1080 Gaming Box, a1502

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@techno I wouldn’t say Boot Camp Thunderbolt 2 setup works natively. Nvidia eGPUs tend to have an easier time to get going in Windows. There are no Nvidia drivers in macOS 10.14 and newer.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
techno
(@techno)

@itsage should i try to move to a tb3 system? i haven't upgraded yet and the price you can pick up a used m370x system for is what interested me, looks to be anywhere form $450-$700 for a decent machine. i need something quad core for the gaming id be doing, and would rather not have a first gen butterfly switch keyboard... maybe i wait for a refreshed 13 inch with the new keyboard?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@techno Apple doesn’t provide support for eGPU in Boot Camp. Moving to a Thunderbolt 3 Mac doesn’t necessarily make things work seamlessly. The 2015 15-in MacBook Pro is actually a very nice machine still. You may want to take a look at @goalque‘s master thread with eGPU on this laptop for more information and options.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
techno
(@techno)

@itsage, now im confused. i was hoping to follow these two guides... am i missing something?

ReplyQuote
techno
(@techno)

@itsage, essentially, i want to be able to have a MacBook pro for daily/school use, but sit down, plug in my egpu with an external monitor and windows and play games every once and a while. is there a setup you recommend for someone like that?

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Estimable Member

@techno

Wait for the new 13/14” MBP model. It will be an easier set-up to work with.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.3 Catalina / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote