Help! 2018 Macbook Pro 15" + Razer Core X + RTX 2080 Super

Notifications
Clear all

Help! 2018 Macbook Pro 15" + Razer Core X + RTX 2080 Super  

RSS

texasterp
(@texasterp)

I've tried a ton of different variations and every build thread I've seen for 2017-19 Macbook pro's with any RTX card, yet still can't get this to work. I don't know what I'm missing and really need some help.

Late 2018 15" Macbook Pro specs:

• Model A1990
  • Intel i7-8850H
  • 16GB DDR4
  • Radeon Pro 560X
  • Intel UHD 630
  • Catalina 10.15.3

Current Bootcamp Windows Spec:

• Win10 Home
  • 1903 v2 18362.356
  • Bootcampdrivers Adrenalin January 2020 Red (also tried January 2020 Blue Enterprise)
  • Nvidia control panel drivers for RTX 2080 series

eGPU spec:

Most recent install steps:

1. Install Windows 10 home via Bootcamp (120GB partition)
  2. Update and install Bootcamp Assistant drivers
  3. Reboot
  4. Download Bootcamp drivers, Nvidia drivers, and DDU
  5. Reboot into Safe mode
  6. DDU clean #1 - no restart
  7. DDU clean #2 - no restart
  8. DDU clean #3
  9. Reboot
  10. Install Bootcampdrivers Adrenalin Jan 2020 Red drivers
  11. Reboot
  12. Log in to Windows desktop
  13. Plug in Core X (turned on) to TB3 port top right (closest to lcd display) and let windows recognize the new device and install PCI bus drivers, etc. Screen freezes for a few minutes while it loads everything.
  14. Device manager shows `Microsoft Basic Display Adapter` & `RadeonPro 560X`
  15. Install Nvidia drivers and Device Manager shows `Nvidia RTX 2080 Super` & `RadeonPro 560X`
  16. Shutdown & turn off Core X (also tried just unplugging while on)
  17. Boot in to windows and log in to Win desktop
  18. Turn on Core X
  19. Screen freezes while it recognizes the new device
  20. Device Manager shows RTX 2080 is connected
  21. Screen freezes again
  22. Device manager refreshes and no longer shows RTX is connected.

I've tried a ton of stuff including:

• plugging in the eGPU when the windows logo displays on the boot screen,
  • plugging in at login screen
  • all 4 different TB3 ports,
  • TB3 port switching (start left, switch to right, switch back to left)
  • disabling the PCIe 1901 channel to the dGPU,
  • disabling dGPU on the PCIe 1901 channel (leaving channel enabled)
  • disabling the dGPU entirely
  • Disabling iSight cam and bluetooth
  • Adrenalin 2020 Blue Enterprise drivers
  • Win 10 1903 v1
  • Win 10 1909
  • Win 10 Insider FAST edition

No matter what I try the result is always the same: the eGPU is initially recognized but the screen freezes, once the screen is operable again the eGPU has been dropped from the device list entirely. No Error 12 or others on the card. On rare occasion Windows has crashed when I plug in at the login screen.

This leads me to believe it's either a windows issue (like pci.sys - next on my list) or an error with the Core X.

What do y'all think?

Edit: Disabling port 1905 (PCIe x8) appeared to make it more stable where the RTX was listed as working properly and bluetooth was still enabled. However I could not access it in any game configs and the external monitor does not receive a signal or wake up. After a couple of reboots, Windows now just crashes when I plug in the eGPU on Windows Desktop. 

This topic was modified 3 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
cnon297
(@cnon297)
Eminent Member

Hi @texasterp,

This may be a long shot but it seems you've already tried every conceivable solution posted in these forums.  Maybe consider using DDU to uninstall the BootCampDrivers.com Adrenaline drivers and install the most recent AMD drivers direct (I assume this was for your MBPro built-in AMD graphics).  This helped with my recent Vega56 eGPU build by making it dramatically more stable:  no more app crashes, black screens, etc.  Tho you will take a 10-15% performance hit compared to the BootCampDrivers.com AMD drivers. 

One last item, Win10 1903 v1 is ideal for an AMD card (per @itsage).  Can't stress enough the benefit of my downgrading from 1903 v2 (my Nvidia builds) to 1903 v1 (my Vega 56 build).  Afterwards the AMD build was nearly plug & play.  Nvidia seems to work no matter what version of Win10 I throw at it.  My 1st build (never posted) was a 2015" 15" MBPro with on-board AMD M370 R9 and eGPU Node + 980Ti.  I was using the older Win10 version supplied on the USB flash from my retail boxed Win10 64bit Pro (2017).  No issues whatsoever.  AMD driver issues seem to be a bit more complicated to resolve - unless you get a specific version of Win10 ISO.

Over the w/e I will add Nvidia drivers to my current AMD build and test if I can switch between Vega56 and 1080Ti.  I just realized my earliest build must've had both so it may be possible.

2019 13" CTO MBPro dual TB3 4-core 1.4GHz i5 + Akitio Node + Vega56
2009 Mac Pro 5,1 3.46 6-core Xeon + Apple-Nvidia GT120 + MSI 1080TI Gaming X

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + HD 7970 @32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@rob_mcdougall)

@texasterp, for what it's worth (which I'll admit, is not much!) I have a very similar setup to you, with a 2018 MBP 15", Razer Core X and RTX 2070 Super. Apart from the fact I'm using a 2070, the only other difference is that I'm running Windows 10 Pro. When I plug mine in, every device seems to stop responding for about 10 seconds, then it all comes back no problem. As you may have discovered, you can't boot with the Razer Core plugged in etc.

Sorry I can't offer any specific advice, it looks like you're doing everything right! Could it be a hardware issue? Have you tried out the card in another setup?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
texasterp
(@texasterp)

@rob_mcdougall, are you using the desktop or notebook version of the Nvidia drivers? I've been using the desktop drivers and may switch to try out the notebook drivers as well.

I haven't had the opportunity to try the card in a different setup, however I did just switch out hdmi for DP and I'm curious to see if that makes any difference.

@cnon297, thanks for the heads up! I just downloaded the apple bootcamp drivers directly from AMD and trying that out now. I tried installing the Radeon RX 560x drivers but they couldn't identify my dGPU hardware and failed to install.

I've been trying to figure out exactly what differences between Win10 Home and Pro might have some effect on the eGPU setup. I may need to upgrade to Pro if nothing else works.

ReplyQuote
Dozeball
(@dozeball)

Hey Texas, I had a similar issue when I switched from AMD to Nvidia.

What I found was that, once you install the Nvidia drivers, DO NOT RESTART, basically....follow your steps, then stop at step 15, and use the computer as you normally would.

Everything will work fine, just install a restart blocker.

If for any reason, the computer restarts, you have to start over with DDU, install AMD Drivers, etc.

2018 MacBook Pro 15-inch: i7 2.6GHz, 32GB RAM - Razer Core X - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super - Asus PG279QE 27 inch 165Hz display - External 1TB WD Blue 2.5'' SSD USB-C to USB-C connection

ReplyQuote