Help - 2018 MBP 15" & RX5700XT - (RazercoreX)

Notifications
Clear all

Help - 2018 MBP 15" & RX5700XT - (RazercoreX)  

RSS

Jordan Ziouche
(@jordan_ziouche)

Hi everyone, 

I'm really sorry if this topic is not in the right place. 

I just received my EGPU enclosure and my GPU. 
I'm reading the forum for 2 years and I just made the step to buy everything needed. 

I followed all the step listed in this user build (thanks for all the help and details btw)  
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2018-15-macbook-pro-rp560x-8th6ch-radeon-5700-xt-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-macos-10-15-5-win10/
The macbook pro used in this build is the same generation as mine and run the same dgpu. 
So I bought the same enclosure. Only thing is the only new RX5700XT i found on the market was from XFX. 
I made some research and I found some good reviews about it so I ordered it 

System specs:

• Apple  MacBook Pro  15" (2018) running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 / Bootcamp Windows 10 latest update made
  • Intel Core i9- 2.9 GHz with up to 4 GHz Turbo Boost (6C/12T)
  • Radeon Pro 560X 4GB
  • 32 GB RAM (2666 MHz)
  • 512 GB SSD (M2)

eGPU hardware:

• Razer Core X
  • XFX Radeon  RX 5700 XT  Thicc III ultra 8GB GDDR6
  • Samsung 32" display (external display connected to eGPU enclosure via HDMI-HDMI cable)
  • TB3 cable - I tried 2 apple TB3 cables (the ones from the power supply ) and a 3rd party TB3 cable (all cables working with other devices) 

The RX5700XT is not supported on Mojave 10.14.6 so I installed Catalina 15.7 on a new partition just to check if the GPU worked plug and play as it's mean to be on this version of Mac Os.
Problem is when I plug the egpu, there is a pop up letting me know that it's impossible to run the thunderbolt device. 

When i check the system devices panel, there is no eGPU listed. 
The only gpu listed is the dgpu (RX560) and the intel chip 
The razer core X appears in the USB tab but no sign of the RX5700XT or another video card.. 

I made a bootcamp with Windows 10. 
Followed all the steps with DDU and Amd bootcamp drivers website. 
The eGPU is not recognized in the device panel neither. Only the Razer core X appears in the device list under the USB tab. 

No sign of the RX5700XT neither on Mojave,  catalina or windows. 

The card is properly supplied and racked. There is blue LEDs on the back of the cars meaning the power supply is ok and stable. 
Otherwise theses LEDs would be red. (found on the video card manual) 

So i'm afraid the card or the enclosure is faulty. 

Before returning the whole thing maybe someone here have an idea ? 

Thanks for your time and your help. 

Sorry for my english i'm a frog. 

•  

MBP 15" 2018 (i9 6C) - dGPU 560X - 32GB RAM - eGPU RAZER CORE X + XFX RX5700XT THIC 3 ultra 8GB

ReplyQuote
shijifeng
(@shijifeng)

@jordan_ziouche,

Make sure your windows 10 version should be 1903 18362.295, I assume you have DDU cleaned and installed the graphics card driver from bootcampdrivers, it doesn't matter it shows error207. 

1.Make sure you can enter windows when you disconnect eGPU

2.Shutdown MacBook Pro

3.Connect eGPU and boot up MacBook Pro. Immediately hold the option key to enter the system selection interface

4.Wait 5 seconds or so, disconnect eGPU

5.Select windows system, press enter, and connect eGPU after the windows logo appears before circle spinning

6.If you successfully enter the desktop, you would see that the yellow triangle in the device manager should be gone

7.It may be stuck or crashed after entering the system for the first time. Restart the computer once without eGPU, and use these magic tricks for the second restart.

8.If it is not successful, the timing of connecting eGPU may be wrong, try again

BTW you should try catalina, it may help after these

2018 MacBook Pro 13inch, Razer Core X, Vega 64

ReplyQuote
Jordan Ziouche
(@jordan_ziouche)

Hi @shijifeng

Thing is, I use Mojave for my work in Music. I'm kind of afraid to lose my templates for work if I update to Catalina. 
That's why I made a bootable instal of Catalina on an External SSD USB drive to test the GPU on Catalina. 
But when I boot on my USB Catalina and plug the GPU, nothing happen except "impossible to run the Thunderbolt device". 

But I guess I won't have the choice. I'll do a backup of my Mojave session and do a clean instal of Catalina. 

Thanks for your reply and help @shijifeng

I'll follow the steps and let you know. 

MBP 15" 2018 (i9 6C) - dGPU 560X - 32GB RAM - eGPU RAZER CORE X + XFX RX5700XT THIC 3 ultra 8GB

ReplyQuote
nirvanich
(@nirvanich)

Try purge-wrangler for iOS

It worked for me - I can use my Radeon 5700XT for any iOS games on internal screen. It's weird that your   MacBook Pro   15" (2018) with Catalina can't see it.....

For Bootcamp - still beating my head to the wall of millions threads in this forum, but at least my bootcamp Windows can see eGPU, but with error 12

iMac 27" 5K (late 2015) + Razer Core X + Asus Radeon 5700XT

2015 27" iMac (R9 390) [6th,4C] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.7 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jordan Ziouche
(@jordan_ziouche)

@nirvanich, Thanks for your reply. I'll give a try but from what I read, the wrangler helps only the owner of old gen TB1 and TB2 computers to accept eGPU. In my case, my macbook pro is TB3 (left and right ports) so I'm supposed not to need wrangler. 

I'm now downloading two builds of Windows 10. The newer version 20H2 v2 (official release)  and the older one 1903 .295 
I'll update to Mac Os catalina from Mojave on my main session and see how it goes.
From what i understand, the Razer core X and the RX5700XT should be plug and play on catalina with my MBP.
So finger crossed now.
Then I will try to make it work on Windows bootcamp with a fresh instal. 

ReplyQuote
nirvanich
(@nirvanich)

@jordan_ziouche, yes correct.

Should be fine under Catalina.

I have an old iMac so I used wrangler

iMac 27" 5K (late 2015) + Razer Core X + Asus Radeon 5700XT

2015 27" iMac (R9 390) [6th,4C] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.7 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote