Clear all

[HELP. Black screen. MBR] Mac mini 2012 + Razer Core X chroma + Bootcamp  

RSS

Vetal
(@vetal)

- Mac mini late 2012: 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3,
- Razer Core X chroma + ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX VEGA64
- Mac os 10.15.4
Mac os works perfectly with eGPU (graphics card works), but Windows 10...
- Windows 10 (1809) installed via mac os default boot camp installer, using the default MBR mode (it's important!).
- Cables connection: mac mini <--> eGPU via thunderbolt 1/3 adapter, mac mini <--> monitor via hdmi, monitor <--> eGPU via VGA - DVI adatper.
(Note: I also tried to connect the second monitor to the eGPU via hdmi but it didn't solve my problem.)

I'd like to use "eGPU Setup 1.35" for solving "error 12" for my old mac mini. I already got instructions from @nando4. My eGPU is detected in the "Setup 1.35" menu.
=================
However, firstly I need to solve another problem (which is not connected with "error 12", as I understand): black screen after the frozen windows logo, it happens only in case I boot windows with connected eGPU.
Windows boots correctly (I'm able to shut down using alt+f4), but the display is not. As I understand, my integrated GPU should show the information instead of eGPU for "error 12" detection, but in my situation it tries showing the black screen from unconfigured eGPU, and doesn't want to show iGPU signal.

What I tried:
- Switching the source on my monitor (from hdmi to dvi and back) - no effect. Only the black screen.
- hot plug eGPU after windows booting. Windows doesn't detect it in the device manager.
- DDU, installing drivers from different sources: AMD.com (Adrenalin 2019, 2020), bootcampdrivers.com, etc. I still don't understand which way is correct for my purpose?
- boot using rEFind 0.12.0, no effect in MBR. Maybe I missed something important here, because I used it only after default installation.
- apple_set_os.efi, but it doesn't work in MBR mode (does it? Do I understand correctly?). It works only in case I install Windows in the GPT mode, but "Setup 1.35" works only in the MBR mode. I have no idea what to do.
Does anyone have any ideas how to boot Windows for mac mini 2012 + eGPU with working display in the MBR mode?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Vetal
(@vetal)

Success!
I reinstalled Windows again in GPT mode, as usual detected 'error 12'.
However today I just updated to the 19628 build using Windows insider (Fast).
And "error 12" was over, everything works even on my old mac mini!
Thanks to this tread and Valkyrionetz message: https://egpu.io/forums/postid/79668/
I will write in more detail a bit later.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@neil_jin)

@vetal, I encounter a non-detected problem, have you meet this before?

When I connect the egpu with my 2013 MacBook pro, it cannot be detected, even the code 2012 doesn't exist.

What should I do to solve it?

ReplyQuote