[HELP] Cannot get 2070 Super working in bootcamp on Razer Core X

Notifications
Clear all

[HELP] Cannot get 2070 Super working in bootcamp on Razer Core X  

RSS

TheUKDave
(@theukdave)

Hi all,

Any help appreciated on this one, I'm pretty green as grass when it comes to PC builds not having done this in over 20 years.

HARDWARE

16" MBP (fully loaded top spec everything)

Razer Core X Chroma

Aorus 2070 Super card.

SETUP

I already had bootcamp installed and was using bootcamp drivers for the internal 5500m

I used DDU to remove these drivers

I installed the nvidia drivers from their own site (as recommended in a build tutorial with essentially the same setup as me)

I am using the left top (closest to the screen) port.

THE GOOD
The card fits in the enclosure despite it being wider than the supposed maximum

The enclosure turns on, lights up

The card is powered and (usually, see below) the fans and LEDs come on

The eGPU is charging my machine

THE BAD

Sometimes after (cold) plugging the eGPU, the GPU lights/fan will come on, but then shortly after turn off again

Sometimes I see in device manager that the nVidia card has the yellow bang, and opening it up, the message says:

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API.

THE UGLY
Running 3DMark (the only thing I've tried so far) it often crashes

If it doesn't crash it produces a score of 0

Whilst I think it's supposed to be rendering, I see maybe one frame every 30 seconds or so.

Thanks for looking, any help will be gratefully received!

Dave

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
TheUKDave
(@theukdave)

Update

I was initially testing with no external monitor attached.  The reason for this was/is I do not plan to attach a monitor and only need it for accelerating games on the internal display (which should work, right?) and in particular on my VR headset, which will either be attached to the laptop directly, or to the USB-C port on the GPU.

After plugging in the monitor, I experienced the same issues until I told windows to ONLY use the external display.  At this point things seemed to improve, but I haven't yet had the chance to run benchmarks.

Will this setup work as I need it to, to accelerate graphics on my VR headset (and internal display)?

Another issue I seem to have is that the Oculus app seems to not work at all.  With my internal AMD 5500m (+ bootcampdrivers) I got an annoying non-dismissible warning that my hardware didn't meet the recommended spec, but games would run anyway (and to a half decent standard).  Now with the eGPU, it tells me that the drivers are out of date, which they're not, and it seems it won't let me do anything at all with it.

It feels like the first step is to get the internal display working, and if I can sort that, the rest will hopefully fall into place ...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Sean Malinoski
(@sean_malinoski)

@theukdave

I run the same egpu config on a 5500m 16 inch as well. The internal display is a bit of a crap shoot and - in my opinion - not altogether worth it given the performance loss of looping back to the internal display. 

however when using an external monitor you shouldn’t have any issues. Have you checked your Microsoft graphics settings to make sure the applications you’re running are set to use the most powerful graphics?

it may be worth simply deactivating the 5500m in your device manager (but not installing). I’ve done this in the past when experiencing unexpected behavior and it seems to help sort things out. 

2019 16" MBP W/ 5500M 4GB + 2.3 i9
Razer Core X Chroma
EVGA RTX 2070 Super 8GB

ReplyQuote
TheUKDave
(@theukdave)

@sean_malinoski you're right, it seems I don't really have any issues on the ext.monitor.  The fans spin up and LEDs come on, and I get reasonable benchmark scores.

My main issue right not is getting my VR to work.  The Oculus app refuses to do anything because it says my drivers out of date and need to be 'upgraded' to v388 ... which is from 2017, unlike the 451 I have installed from this month.  v388 won't even install.  

I've submitted a support ticket to Oculus to see if they can advice, but I suspect their response will be "Your trying to use an eGPU? on a Mac??? Sorry, not supported"

Performance aside, can you tell me how you got the loopback working?  I would like to at least test if that allows VR to run, even at a performance penalty.

I have already DDU'd my 5500m, and under device manager, it shows as a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" ... are you suggesting to re-installing the drivers to get it working, then disabling? 

ReplyQuote
Sean Malinoski
(@sean_malinoski)

@theukdave, I don’t think running DDU would have necessarily made anything worse so no, I don’t think you need to reinstall anything (though a full reinstall of boot camp may be something to consider down the road). Have you made sure you’ve set the application graphic settings in windows settings when Attempting to use the internal display? 

Can’t speak to the Oculus piece As I have zero experience on that front but It doesn’t “feel” like a display issue...hopefully that piece sorts out easily enough for you though. 

Razer Core X Chroma
EVGA RTX 2070 Super 8GB

ReplyQuote
TheUKDave
(@theukdave)

@sean_malinoski I think I made some progress earlier off the back of your suggestion (or what I thought you were suggesting).  I did reinstall the bootcampdrivers for my AMD dGPU, and then disabled it in device manager.

With no external display attached, things didn't seem to be going well when I tried to benchmark (something like 0.2 frames per second). 

But I also tried a game out, which also basically didn't run (the intro video was running also at like 1 frame every few seconds), but when trying to alt-tab out of it, it seemed to speed up!  So I waited for the game to load, and tried disabling full screen.  Suddenly it's running perfectly.  Progress!  I'm guessing it's using the intel integrated graphics for fullscreen jobs, but can use the eGPU if windowed. My games are all installed by steam, and I don't seem to be able to adjust the graphics settings for them. If someone can tell me how to adjust it for steam games, it'd be appreciated, as I'd like to be able to run full screen, but for my main use, it's no actual problem.

Anyway, then I went to tackle the VR headset. I noticed that my Oculus app was no longer complaining about incompatible hardware or out of date drivers, so that seemed promising, but I couldn't get anything running at first.  Whenever I tried to use the headset, Oculus would error saying "general device error" and nothing started up in the headset at all.  I tried various USB-c ports on my mac, and the USB-c port on the GPU, and then the 4 USB 3 ports on the eGPU.  Nothing worked, until I disconnected the eGPU, plugged the headset into it (USB-c on the GPU), and then plugged the eGPU back into the laptop. Then ... everything seemed to work perfectly!

I've not had a chance to actually play since that (pesky work getting in the way of living), but with luck it wasn't just a fluke and I have a working solution: install drivers for everything, disable the AMD card, plug everything into the eGPU then hot-plug that, and make sure that all games/apps I want to be accelerated run windowed instead of fullscreen.

ReplyQuote
Sean Malinoski
(@sean_malinoski)

@theukdave, here’s one source but there are many for setting graphics preferences  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ghacks.net/2018/11/30/assign-graphics-performance-preferences-windows-10-programs/amp/

Razer Core X Chroma
EVGA RTX 2070 Super 8GB

ReplyQuote