[Help] MBA 13 2017 + KFA2 SNPR - Bootcamp + Windows 10

Notifications
Clear all

[Help] MBA 13 2017 + KFA2 SNPR - Bootcamp + Windows 10  

of  2
  RSS

lbobo
(@lbobo)

I am creating a topic dedicated to my build, in hope to make it work because I am running out of ideas despite looking in the forum for similar issues. I hope I won't upset a MOD by creating this topic.

I updated some content based on my latest experience.

I bought everything at a good price, so money wise, I am not feeling upset. I wanted for a long time to make a EGPU work with my computer in order to make it last a little bit longer.

Info about my build:
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017), very similar to 2015 one.
Version 10.14.6 (Mojave) // Version 19042.630 (20H2) for Bootcamp.
CPU: 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5
Original Apple SSD got replaced by an Adapter + Nmve SSD.
EGPU: GALAX SNPR TB3 1060 eGPU  
I am using TB3>TB2 + TB2 Apple cables.

First try with this setup:

My first boot into bootcamp was surprisingly good...since then....nothing works.

1. First boot, I hot plugged the Egpu during W10 spinning wheel animation.
  2. Nvidia drivers automatically install.
  3. My external monitor connected to the EGPU (HDMI) light up and everything seems to work well.
  4. Applications & games recognised the Egpu without issues.
  5. A few black screens there & there which I think comes from windows updating I don't know what in the background.
  6. My MBA went off to sleep..(Maybe BSOD? I am starting it must have been one.)...there was a black screen when I tried to wake it.
  7. I turned it off the hard way and since then, I keep getting BSOD whenever I try to hot-plug or not the EGPU.

BSOD ERROR MESSAGES:
- Kernel Mode Heap Corruption (Usually when missing the timing to hot plug the EGPU during boot or plugging the EGPU when on W10 Desktop)
- PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA (Systematically when it looks like W10 is going to initialise the EGPU and drivers are installed.)
- IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

Often when it is mentioned "What Failed", it says nvlddmkm.sys

What I tried to do:

1. Boot into Safe Mode and removes the existing driver with DDU =>  It removes the BSOD on boot when I reach W10 login.
  2. EGPU get detected as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
  3. When I try to install the driver with the latest Nvidia one in W10 => BSOD in the middle of the installation.
  4. When I try to let W10 automatically install the driver => BSOD in the middle of the installation.
  5. When I try to install the driver in Safe mode => I can install the latest Nvidia Driver.
  6. At times, I have Error 31, I uninstalled the EGPU, after a while the device manager detected the 1060 automatically and BSOD.
  7. I tried to update the TB driver but it seems it only works for computer with native TB3 ports? Shame...
  8. I Did a NVRAM + SMC Reset.

What I noticed:

1. When I boot up the laptop with the EGPU connected, I get a black screen before any OS choices show
    => After looking on the forum, it seems normal as Apple blocks on boot Nvidia cards.
  2. When I boot up the laptop with automate-eGPU EFI & I connect the EGPU, the menu freeze.
  3. When I boot up the laptop with automate-eGPU EFI & get into windows, my KB/Trackpad are not working (+BSOD if driver are installed, so nothing changes).
  4. If I connect the EGPU in MacOS, I can see all the details about it in system report and it seems everything is normal.

If anyone has an idea on what I should try or do, I am open to any suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

MBA 2017 + KFA2 SNPR TB3>2 1060 EGPU

ReplyQuote
lbobo
(@lbobo)

Anyone? Any leads on what could be done?  

I am thinking of reinstalling windows but would like to check everything beforehand as the BSOD I am getting does not look to match the error others are getting with recent versions of windows.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lbobo, Do a clean installation of Windows 1903 V1. It has very good hot-plug support. That way you'd only need to run DDU to disable Windows from automatically installing drivers of devices. Install the Nvidia drivers manually and hot-plug the GTX 1060 eGPU once Windows loads.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
lbobo
(@lbobo)

Posted by: @itsage

@lbobo, Do a clean installation of Windows 1903 V1. It has very good hot-plug support. That way you'd only need to run DDU to disable Windows from automatically installing drivers of devices. Install the Nvidia drivers manually and hot-plug the GTX 1060 eGPU once Windows loads.

Thank you for your answer.

Should I delete the partition and reinstall everything from Camp assistant?

If I understood correctly:

1. Windows1903 V1 
  2. Stop automatic updates
  3. DDU to stop automatic driver installation
  4. Hot-Plug of Egpu + latest nvidia drivers installation (How do you do to install the driver without the Egpu plugged in?)
  5. Pray
This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lbobo, Run Boot Camp Assistant to remove the Windows partition then reinstall with Win10 1903 V1 ISO. All steps look good. You have hot-plug the eGPU prior to drivers installation. It wouldn't proceed without a detected graphics card.

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
lbobo
(@lbobo)

@itsage, maybe a dumb last question before I delete everything, should I go through the Bootcamp setup when starting W10 for the first time or just do selected drivers (I have seen a few builds where they did this.).

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lbobo, It's up to your preference. I usually let Apple Boot Camp setup runs following the Windows 10 installation. 

ReplyQuote
lbobo
(@lbobo)

The first try was not positive.
Just did the installation, I tried to install the driver but it got stuck halfway through.
Had to hard reboot....after that I can see the EGPU recognised but nothing else.
It seems that updating the bootcamp assistant before I was going to uninstall the Nvidia Driver for a fresh install made the BSOD came back.

I am going to do another fresh install without bootcamp assistant this time.

ReplyQuote
lbobo
(@lbobo)

Did a second fresh installation:

• Installed W10
  • Skipped Bootcamp prompt
  • Started in safe mode with DDU to remove Nvidia/AMD driver + driver download.
  • Hot Plug at Boot + Installed older Nvidia driver => Worked but it looks like the card is not initialised (At this point I have no driver except Nvidia installed.)
  • Installation of bootcamp driver.
  • Still nothing => DDU in safe mode.Hot Plug + same driver installation = BSOD during installation.
  • Hot Plug at Boot, I see the GeForce 1060 is appearing in Device Manager.
  • Error 43.

Going to sleep after spending 3 hours on this.

Any proposal? I can't believe this card worked fine the first time I plugged it! 

Is there a way to see if it could be faulty? Should I see if it is properly inserted inside? Page Fault BSOD is related to software or hardware in general? Could this be this 1060 that is not compatible with this laptop model? What about this Error 43 now?

I just want to believe and see this external monitor light up again.

ReplyQuote
lbobo
(@lbobo)

Report for Today:

• DDU Everything
  • Installed another driver (442.52)
  • Completed Installation (!)
  • Error 43 in device manager.

When reading through history post, it seems the GTX10XX series of card brought bad luck to EGPU, requiring some times DSDT override.

Could it be the case here?
How to get rid of Error 43?
Should I update OS X to try my luck with a EFI firmware update?

I am trying to not give up...

EDIT:

• DDU
  • Installed another driver (378.XX)
  • Completed Installation
  • Error 43 in device manager.
  • Tried to deactivate other PCI devices => Still Error 43.
  • I took out the card and inspected inside, no sign of foul play, put back everything together => Error 43.

I have rarely seen Error 43 for Bootcamp in builds except for PCI express module with windows laptop.
Looking for ideas.

ReplyQuote
 of  2