Notifications
Clear all

[Help] MBA 13 2017 + KFA2 SNPR - Bootcamp + Windows 10  

of  2
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lbobo, Error 43 can also be power-related. I would say to take the enclosure apart and check all power connections.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
lbobo
(@lbobo)

Posted by: @itsage

@lbobo, Error 43 can also be power-related. I would say to take the enclosure apart and check all power connections.

Thank you for your answer. Anything in mind to look at? Can I post picture of the PCB?

I have been thinking maybe it is a lemon (Bought it 2nd hand, the guy didn't look like he was trying to sell one at least.), but it is surprising it started working without any issue the first time.

[img] [/img]

This post was modified 2 months ago

MBA 2017 + KFA2 SNPR TB3>2 1060 EGPU

ReplyQuote
lbobo
(@lbobo)

@itsage, tried the following:

• Different drivers....no dice.
  • Different hdmi cables...the external screen flicker but stays black.
  • A different external screen, nope.
  • I erased W10 and our High Sierra (10.13.6)
  • Removed SIP.
  • Ran Purge Wrangler, it detects the 1060 6GB
  • Nothing much happens after a reboot (Maybe I haven't done enough in this side. I don't know.). Mac OS shows there is a Egpu in system as a Nvidia card thought.
  • Haven't give much thought since then.

What I noticed:

• The PSU seems ok.
  • I can use the TB3 plug on the board to charge a phone in QC. Doesn't look like there is any problem there.
  • When I Hot Plug the card during boot, either OS X or W10, one fan starts spinning then the second one a few seconds after. 
  • If I remove the 6 Pin connector from the TB3 board, the GPU fans start spinning immediately.

Is there any online resources or things to do to check if the GPU is in working order? Maybe there is an issue with the 6 PIN connector?

I am really sorry to keep pushing but I had placed a lot of hope in this setup.

I want to try tomorrow a DVI cable to rule out a hdmi connection issue.

ReplyQuote
lbobo
(@lbobo)

Update:

I tested the 6 Pin input on the TB3 board + cable for voltage while the PSU was connected.
Everything seems fine.

I am sending the Egpu to Stephane as he has one as well. We will know soon enough if the card is dead or if this EGPU is just not playing nice with TB3>TB2 macbook.

Is there any knowledge of a TB3 controller not compatible with TB3>TB2 cable?

ReplyQuote
lbobo
(@lbobo)

Last Update:

I sent my EGPU to Stephane Betzi, a member of this forum.
I can't stress how nice he was to dedicate some of his time to help me find the issue.
He has 2 EGPU from KFA2/Galax of the exact same reference.

On his laptop with Thunderbolt 3, he was able to connect it and face a similar problem.
After swapping my 1060 from the board with one of his own, it is working flawlessly.
When he tried my 1060 into his, it created similar problem (BSOD + no Clocks & activity in software.).

Short story short, the 1060 seems dead. 

The TB3 board in the case is working very well, better than his actually 🙂 .

I decided to sell everything as the experience left a sour taste and I am not planning to get another GPU to put on the board.

ReplyQuote
 of  2