Help! Unreliable Performance! VR [BootCamp] 15" 2019 MacBook Pro + RTX 2060 Supe...

Notifications
Clear all

Help! Unreliable Performance! VR [BootCamp] 15" 2019 MacBook Pro + RTX 2060 Super + Razer Core X  

RSS

thismachinewill
(@thismachinewill)

Edit: I've made some significant progress since posting this.  Here are the steps I took to get the eGPU working on my setup:

1) Install Windows 10 via BootCamp.  I installed the Home edition, but I'm sure this will work with any edition of Windows 10.  I made the size of my partition 150GB, but you can choose any size you'd like.

2) Once Windows 10 is completely installed, update Windows via Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates.  Once fully updated, restart Windows 10.

3) Install Display Driver Uninstall (DDU) from https://www.wagnardsoft.com/ and uninstall the AMD GPU.  You may want to boot into Safe Mode before uninstalling the drivers just to be on the safe side, however I did not uninstall in safe mode and everything worked fine. Restart Windows 10.

4) When Windows 10 is fully booted up and you've logged into your account, connect the eGPU cable to your MacBook Pro.  I connected to the top right port (port closest to the screen) however you should be fine connecting to any port. Switch on the Core X (eGPU). Allow the computer some time to install drivers and recognize the device.

5) Once the drivers are finished installing, go to https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us to install your GPU's drivers.  See below to see which driver I chose. Download the driver installer.

6) Once downloaded, run the installer.  I decided to install both the drivers and the GeForce Experience app, however you could probably also just download the drivers.

7) Once the drivers are installed, restart Windows 10.  When your computer turns off, be sure to switch off the Core X (eGPU) as well.  Starting up your MacBook Pro with the eGPU running will cause it to stay stuck on the spinning icon (or Apple icon) infinitely.  Once you select the Windows partition and the Windows 10 logo appears, switch on the Core X I have heard of users turning on their eGPU while the laptop boots up and not facing any issues, and you may be able to experience the same behavior, however I personally need to turn off the eGPU in order to boot properly.  You could probably also simply unplug the TB3 cable from your MBP and replug the cable once the Windows 10 logo appears, however I personally feel safer switching the Core X on and off via the power switch.

Edit: I included step "7a" which fixes issues I was experiencing.

7a) Go to https://www.bootcampdrivers.com/ and download the latest "Adrenalin" edition (AMD drivers) from Downloads > Windows 10 > For MacBook Pro with Vega graphics cards & eGPU users > *latest version*.  Follow the included instructions to install the custom AMD drivers. Reboot your laptop. Be sure to turn on your eGPU when the Windows 10 logo appears.

Edit: As of the time of me writing this, the November 2019 Adrenalin edition does NOT work (can't be properly installed).  I had to download the September edition to make everything work properly.  Unfortunately, certain games do not work with the September edition (Half-Life 2, Portal, and Portal 2 for example) however these issues should hopefully be resolved in the December edition.

8) Let Windows 10 boot up and log into your account.  You should see two Nvidia icons and an AMD Radeon icon running in the taskbar's tray.  If you see you see all three icons, everything should be working correctly.  To verify this, open up "Device Manager" and look under the "Display Adapters" dropdown.  If both the AMD and Nvidia drivers are present without any errors, everything is good to go!

• If the AMD GPU is not listed, try redownloading/reinstalling the custom AMD drivers, or try downloading a previous version of the custom AMD drivers. You will probably have to re-run the DDU program to wipe the current faulty AMD drivers.
  • If the Nvidia GPU is not listed, try switching the Core X on and off again, or restart Windows.  Again, be sure to switch off the Core X (eGPU) when the computer turns off. Once the Windows 10 logo appears, switch on the Core X.  If the eGPU is listed, but shows a "Code 43" error, try disabling and re-enabling the device.

9) Assuming everything is working correctly... enjoy using your eGPU!  Just remember to always turn on the Core X when the Windows 10 logo appears on startup.  To use the eGPU with your games, go to Settings > System > Display > Advanced graphics settings.  Select "Classic app" in the dropdown menu and then click "Browse".  Find the executable (.exe) file of the game you'd like to use the eGPU with.  Once the executable is added to the list, click "Options", and select the eGPU.  Now whenever the application is run, it will run on the eGPU.

Current issues:

• Resolution is restricted to "3360 x 2100"
    • This can be bypassed by connecting the eGPU to a monitor (I use the RTX's HDMI out to connect to my TCL TV).  Now you will be allowed to select your resolution via Settings > System > Display > Display resolution, however this causes the eGPU to run poorly.
    • If anyone has any idea how to change the resolution without plugging in a monitor, please let me know! Thank you!

---

Hi eGPU.io,

I'm really new to the eGPU scene, however I've done a bit of research and figured I'd be able to get started with a Razer Core X installed with an RTX 2060 Super.

The goal: Get set up for the new Half-Life VR game, and play other PC games at a quality performance.

My setup:

I installed the RTX into the Core and connected the Core to my MacBook via the provided thunderbolt cable (super short cable btw). Once Windows booted up, I turned on the Core and Windows seemed to have installed some drivers on its own.

I then restarted the computer, booted into Windows again, and downloaded the Nvidia drivers directly from their website ( https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us ).

• Product Type: GeForce
  • Product Series: GeForce RTX 20 Series
  • Product: GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
  • Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
  • Windows Driver Type: DCH (Not sure what DCH is, but when I downloaded the Standard type, it said that I needed the DCH type)
  • Download Type: Game Ready Driver (GRD)
  • Language: English (US)

After installing the drivers and GeForce Experience app, I restarted the laptop again. That's when the issues began, and I have questions:

1) Is this a good setup for VR gaming? Has anyone had success with a setup similar to mine?  Is the RTX 2060 Super powerful enough to drive VR gaming?  Should I connect my Quest to a MacBook Thunderbolt port, or should I connect the Quest to the RTX 2060 Super's USB-C out?

2) Exactly when should I turn on the Core? Usually when I turn the Core on after Windows is booted up and I've logged in, Windows is unable to connect to the eGPU.  In Device Manager, there is a yellow caution icon next to the RTX 2060 Super.  Inspecting this shows an "Error 43 - Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems".  I'd say about 80% of the time, the eGPU experiences this issue.

3) How can I prevent "Error 43"? Again, when the eGPU is unable to connect to Windows, it shows a yellow caution icon next to the RTX 2060 Super, and inspecting this device shows an "Error 43 - Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems".  How can I ensure that I do not run into this problem when connecting the eGPU?

4) Why can't I use bluetooth? When the Core does connect, my bluetooth mouse disconnects and I'm unable to reconnect it. In fact, bluetooth doesn't come up at all in the Device Manager unless I select "Show Hidden Items". Sometimes, by the grace of God, the eGPU and Bluetooth both work properly, but this behavior only happens rarely.

5) Do I need to connect to a monitor? It seems like in every example I've seen online, the person is connected to a monitor. Am I supposed to be using a monitor and not my laptop's screen?  I would prefer to use my laptop's screen if possible.  However if I'll get better performance with a monitor, I'll take that into consideration.

6) Should I have my computer connected to the Core's port, the RTX's port, or both? The Core itself has a single thunderbolt port where the RTX has an HDMI out, USB-C out, DisplayPort, and a few other outputs. Am I supposed to be connecting only to the Core via Thunderbolt, or should I be connected to both the Core and RTX?

7) Is there anything else I should know, or anything else I should try? I'm sure I'm missing some vital components to getting this eGPU running correctly.  It seems that my experience is atypical of the current state of eGPUs and BootCamp.  I've seen other similar builds that are basically plug-and-play and have been able to support VR, but so far my experience has been very troublesome.

THANK YOU for reading this whole essay. I'm excited to get this working properly, despite these first impressions being pretty souring and discouraging. Hopefully someone can help!  THANK YOU!

This topic was modified 7 months ago

Laptop:
MacBook Pro 15" 2019; Processor: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4; iGPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB; dGPU: Radeon Pro Vega 20

macOS Catalina 10.15.1; Windows 10 Home1909 (BootCamp)

eGPU:
Razer Core X; Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super; Nekteck Active Thunderbolt 3 cable

VR:
Oculus Quest with Oculus Link (Beta)

ReplyQuote
coupeman
(@coupeman)

Hi,

not sure about some issues, but you should be able to leave the core powered on, you only connect via the tb3 cable, no other connection is required. Have you tried using the cable that came with the core? Not all tb3 cables are equal.

not sure but also, the latest version of Windows breaks egpu, so you might want to download an older version, I did but I’m using a Radeon VII.

Hope this helps a bit

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
thismachinewill
(@thismachinewill)

@coupeman

Thanks for the response.  Are you saying that I should turn the Core on, have it connected to the MBP, and then boot up the MBP into Windows?  I can give that a shot, however usually when I do that, the screen stays stuck on the Apple logo as I have to hold the "option" key to select the Windows OS to boot into.

And yes, I have tried using the super short cable that came with the Core, but I was experiencing the same problems with connecting to the eGPU (Error 43). I haven't tried using the short cable since I got the Nekteck TB3 cable, so I can try going back to the short cable again just to double check.

Lastly, are you saying I should try installing a Windows 10 version such as 1809?  I could look into how to get that done.

Thanks again for your help!

Laptop:
MacBook Pro 15" 2019; Processor: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4; iGPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB; dGPU: Radeon Pro Vega 20

eGPU:

VR:

ReplyQuote
coupeman
(@coupeman)

@thismachinewill

Yeah, my core is plugged in and on all the time, I jump between Mac and Windows every day. I had zero luck with the latest version of Windows so ended up downloading the May version which I think is 1901?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Timothy McCown
(@timothy_mccown)

Hi there. I have the same build as you. I always have the Razer Core turned on prior to turning on your macbook. I have to always keep it on otherwise windows likes to BSOD. Secondly, I had to disable one of the USB hubs in device manager. Don't remember which one.

ReplyQuote
thismachinewill
(@thismachinewill)

@timothy_mccown

Hi Timothy!  Thanks for the response!

When you say that you have the same build as me, could you elaborate a bit more?  If you could post your "About This Mac" information via a screenshot or a copy paste (just please be sure to remove your serial number) that would be awesome.

Could you also let me know exactly which Windows 10 version you are using? Is it Home, Pro, Education, or something else? Is it the 1903 build, or some other build? Is your Windows 10 activated, or not?

I'm assuming you're using a Razer Core X with an RTX 2060 Super installed.  Are you using the included short TB3 cable that came with the Core, or a different cable?

I'm also assuming that you're using the MBP's display and not an external monitor. Is this right?

Thank you again!  I'm happy to hear that someone has the same/similar build as I do, and gives me hope that I can get this working properly!

This post was modified 7 months ago

Laptop:

eGPU:

VR:

ReplyQuote
danmorgz
(@danmorgz)

@thismachinewill

Thanks for the post. I'm thinking of trying the same setup but with a quad-core i5 2018 Macbook Pro 13.

Can you just report back on the performance? Is it good enough to play HL Alyx? I've read many things, such as the bandwidth sharing from the EGPU back to the Macbook Pro to go via the Oculus Link cable, which sound problematic and make me think a normal gaming PC might be better... However, I just want to use my mac for simplicity.

Also, do you plug the Oculus Link cable into your MBP or do you have the usb-c port on the Core X Chroma?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
thismachinewill
(@thismachinewill)

@danmorgz

I'm able to run HL Alyx decently.  It certainly runs alright, however the frame-rate can really dip at graphically intensive parts (explosions, multiple high-poly objects on screen, and when looking at scenic wide-open spaces).  I've actually just installed the latest BootCamp and Nvidia drivers, so I'm hoping these issues will be smoothed out some.  I was also playing while streaming to Twitch, so that might have impacted the performance. I'm also going to try playing the game at a lower quality.  I've been playing on High quality, so I'm going to try running at Medium quality.

I plug the Link cable into the USB-C port on the Core X.  No issues there. I don't think I've tried plugging directly into the MBP actually.

Also, I've found that I have to disable the dGPU (AMD Pro Vega 20) completely in order to get the Oculus Link to work.  Getting the dGPU and eGPU to work together might smooth over issues as well, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Laptop:

eGPU:

VR:

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: @danmorgz

Also, do you plug the Oculus Link cable into your MBP or do you have the usb-c port on the Core X Chroma ?

Posted by: @thismachinewill

Link cable into the USB-C port on the Core X

Razer Core X and Core X Chroma don't have a USB-C port. Do you mean the USB-C port of the Nvidia RTX card?

I am gathering info about head mounted displays in macOS.
https://egpu.io/forums/laptop-computing/got-an-htc-vive-pro-working-on-my-macbook-pro-16-2-3-ghz-8-core-intel-core-i9-and-it-runs-half-lyfe-alyx-should-i-do-a-build-post/#post-76558

AGDCDiagnose output showing info from your head mounted display connected to a GPU that is supported by macOS would be appreciated.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote