HELP! Vega56 recognized in device manager but can't be assigned via Graphics Opt...

Notifications
Clear all

HELP! Vega56 recognized in device manager but can't be assigned via Graphics Options (iMac 13,2)  

RSS

frenchbulldog
(@frenchbulldog)

Hello! I've done a fair share of searching in addition to a number of hours of trial and error and can't seem to come up with a solution here.

My setup is as follows:

EGPU:
Razer Core X Enclosure
MSI Radeon RX Vega 56
TB3 to TB1/2 Adapter

Bootcamp Drive:
1tb USB SSD w/ Win10 1903 build

Computer 1
MacBookPro11,3 (Mid 2014) - OSX 10.15.4
2.8gHz quad-core i7 (4980)
16gb RAM
Intel Iris Pro 1536mb iGPU
GeForce GT 750M 2gb dGPU
EGPU works in both OSX and Win10 Bootcamp

Computer 2
iMac13,2 (Late 2012) - OSX 10.15.5
3.4gHz quad-core i7 (3770)
16gb RAM
Factory disabled iGPU (HD 4000 on chip)
GeForce GTX 675MX 1gb dGPU
EGPU works in OSX only, but is recognized in Win10

The Goal
My goal is to have this working on both machines, accelerating the internal display (don't have any desire for external displays). I've got the EGPU working great in OSX on both and Win10 on Computer 1, so we're halfway there.

The Problem
I can't get Computer 2 to prioritize the Vega56 over the DGPU in graphics settings, it just always shows the GTX 675MX for both Power Saving and High Performance GPUs. This is not the case on my 750M MacBook, as from day one it's recognized the Vega56 and provided that as the High Performance option. I've installed a multitude of drivers from BootcampDrivers.com to no avail. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

📈 EGPU -- Razer Core X, MSI Radeon RX Vega 56, TB3 to TB1/2 Adapter // 💻 Computer 1 -- MacBookPro11,3 @ 10.15.4, 2.8ghz i7 4980HQ, 16gb ram, Iris Pro iGPU, GT750M 2gb dGPU, works in OSX & BootCamp! // 🖥 Computer 2 -- iMac13,2 @ 10.15.5, 3.4ghz i7 3770, 16gb ram, GTX675MX 1gb dGPU, works in OSX only 🙁

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@frenchbulldog, Have you tried automated-eGPU EFI boot loader and see if the Intel iGPU can be activated? If that works you can then disable the dGPU and use iGPU with the eGPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
frenchbulldog
(@frenchbulldog)

@itsage thanks for this. I have tried it but there's two problems:

• The EFI doesn't recognize my eGPU, regardless of cold boot or hot plug.
  • I am unable to boot into Windows from the USB Stick, the EFI always hangs when I select Windows. Perhaps my copy of Win10 1903 on an external SSD is complicating it?

It seems from other forum users who have had trouble with this in the past, that @nando4's eGPU setup may be best? At the same time, it is tough to parse as many of those comments are a couple years old.

Feels like there's progress happening. I was able to dummy-plug a 4K headless HDMI into the Vega56, set the dummy display as my primary, and mirror to the iMac's internal display. The eGPU is now being used for almost all tasks, but I'd still prefer a method that uses Windows' settings to choose GPU without relying on a dummy plug. I'm hopeful one of you can point me in the right direction for automate-eGPU EFI or apple set os.

It seems I spoke too soon. Upon launching Flight Simulator 2020, it looks like it's causing high utilization on both dGPU and eGPU. This is so frustrating!

This post was modified 2 months ago

📈 EGPU -- Razer Core X, MSI Radeon RX Vega 56, TB3 to TB1/2 Adapter // 💻 Computer 1 -- MacBookPro11,3 @ 10.15.4, 2.8ghz i7 4980HQ, 16gb ram, Iris Pro iGPU, GT750M 2gb dGPU, works in OSX & BootCamp! // 🖥 Computer 2 -- iMac13,2 @ 10.15.5, 3.4ghz i7 3770, 16gb ram, GTX675MX 1gb dGPU, works in OSX only 🙁

ReplyQuote
frenchbulldog
(@frenchbulldog)

Circling back on this, I was able to get this sort of working for some brief flights on FS2020 tonight. I DDU'ed literally everything, and only installed the AMD drivers. Vega56 was able to accelerate the iMac display and did so well, keeping a good framerate at 1440p gaming. That said, I can't adjust display resolution or sleep settings as everything is through the eGPU at this point.

I never once got automate-eGPU-EFI to work, and @itsage I spent nearly all day on the forum today trying to ascertain how to enable the iGPU and didn't get anywhere. It is challenging as the install guide for automate-eGPU-EFI seems out of date and links to numerous new replies, which requires the reader to cobble together something of an idea of what in the world to do. Would love to get this going and any further guidance would be so appreciated.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@frenchbulldog, The automate-eGPU EFI boot loader only works with boot volumes on the internal hard drive. The idea is to fool Apple firmware into thinking it's booting into macOS in order to keep the Intel iGPU activated. If you have the Intel iGPU running in Windows, hopefully the iGPU can drive the internal display so that AMD XConnect works.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
frenchbulldog
(@frenchbulldog)

Understood, thank you! Even when I boot into MacOS with automate-eGPU EFI, the factory-deactivated HD4000 doesn't show in system report.

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote