Clear all

How to BootCamp eGPU MacBook Pro 2019 16 inch  

of  2
  RSS

Wunair
(@wunair)
Trusted Member

Hello eGPU community,

I've recently purchased myself the MBP 2020 16 inch, and I was looking forward to be using BC on this device. On the side, I have a MBP 2016 15 inch, which I've used Nando's DSDT. This was pretty straight-forward to follow. I've tried copying this method for the 16 inch, but alas. I've tried a couple of different methods so far:

1. Nando's DSDT override. I've extracted a new DSDT table, added the QWordMemory part and put it in a Clover drive for me to try and boot. Result was blue screen.
2. Comparing the DSDT table of the 16 inch vs the 15 inch, I noticed there was a difference. The 16 inch already had a QWordMemory part, so I've tried adding the part according to the tutorial, and I've also tried removing this. Both resulted in blue screen.
3. automate-eGPU EFI by goalque. I've also tried using this boot method, but same result. The booting screen also said 'no eGPU detected'. (Possible because I didn't install drivers yet?)

All of these methods, I've tried on a separate partition, not a separate USB drive. This has worked fine for my 15 inch MBP and I prefer it this way. 

Does anybody know the solution on how to fix error 12 code for the 16 inch MBP? I would greatly appreciate it!

MacBook Pro 16" 2020 + Mantiz eGPU + RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@wunair, This section is for completed builds only. Review 2019 16" MBP builds: https://egpu.io/best-external-graphics-card-builds/

Edit: moved this topic to appropriate section.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Arizor
(@arizor)
Eminent Member

@Wunair this is the thread you are looking for friend - https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/macbook-pro-16-windows-egpu-error-12-fix/  

Follow steps 1 and 2 and you're away. I've tried it on Windows versions 1903, and the latest 'Fast Insider' version, both on my Macbook 16", and it works perfectly.

2019 16-inch MacBook Pro Retina (2.3ghz Intel i9) // Radeon 5500M (8GB).
MacOS Catalina // Bootcamp Win10 1903 (18362.230).
Razer Core X // Vega 64 // 2m Active Thunderbolt cable.

ReplyQuote
Wunair
(@wunair)
Trusted Member

@arizor, Thank you for this!

I've indeed been reading that thread and another thread that suggests installing a Windows Insider version would also make it work.

The guide you've sent me involves switching ports (which seems a bit tedious to do every boot). Wouldn't it be easier to try the Windows Insider solution?

ReplyQuote
Wunair
(@wunair)
Trusted Member

Unfortunately, I just tried this

https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/macbook-pro-16-windows-egpu-error-12-fix/   

but I end up with error 12 still 🙁

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
Wunair
(@wunair)
Trusted Member

@mac_editor, Thanks for your suggestion mac_editor!

I've followed the steps, but unfortunately I can't even get passed the installation. When I am done setting up the country and keyboard settings, I get a blue screen. After reboot I get a pop-up saying I've encountered an unexpected error. It goes like this in a loop until I go back to MacOS :S. I've tried using the 1903 v1 version 18362.30

Edit: I seem to have encountered a weird installation issue. I've just tried installing version 1909 again (which normally works) but I even get a blue screen with this. It seems deleting the BootCamp partition has caused some kind of issue. 

Edit 2: I've completely reformatted my drive and tried installing version 1903, but I still end up with blue screen. 

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
Wunair
(@wunair)
Trusted Member

I've managed to get it to work! I've installed the newest Insider Fast version and did the port dance through EFI boot. Not ideal, but it will do for now.

ReplyQuote
Arizor
(@arizor)
Eminent Member

Great news. The port dance isn't ideal but it literally takes me about 10 seconds so I am absolutely ok with it for now!

2019 16-inch MacBook Pro Retina (2.3ghz Intel i9) // Radeon 5500M (8GB).
MacOS Catalina // Bootcamp Win10 1903 (18362.230).
Razer Core X // Vega 64 // 2m Active Thunderbolt cable.

ReplyQuote
Albert Johannes
(@allie_b)

I wonder if there are any solutions regarding the port dance, at this point I'm considering selling my sonnet box and getting a razer core x as I've head that they don't require the port dance.

Macbook Pro 16 2019 i7 5300m + Sonnet TB3 Breakaway-box 350w + MSI 570 8GB + Samsung U28E590D 4K

ReplyQuote
 of  2