Notifications
Clear all

How to BootCamp eGPU MacBook Pro 2019 16 inch  

of  2
  RSS

Carlo van den Broeck
(@carlo_van_den_broeck)

@allie_b

I use the breakaway box 550 with a 2019 15” mbp. I updated to the fast insider ring version of Windows and installed red drivers From bootcampdrivers.com for my amd rx5700xt before plugging it in. Restarted the mbp while the egpu is on and plugged in and everything works as it should. The laptop even detects and switches between my built in 560rx and the rx5700xt  I did not need the efi boot, or port dancing. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Arizor
(@arizor)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @allie_b

I wonder if there are any solutions regarding the port dance, at this point I'm considering selling my sonnet box and getting a razer core x as I've head that they don't require the port dance.

Nope, I use the Razer Core X (see sig), and port dance is the only thing that consistently works.

2019 16-inch MacBook Pro Retina (2.3ghz Intel i9) // Radeon 5500M (8GB).
MacOS Catalina // Bootcamp Win10 1903 (18362.230).
Razer Core X // Vega 64 // 2m Active Thunderbolt cable.

ReplyQuote
MakeTheMostOfLife
(@makethemostoflife)

@arizor, You have exactly the same setup as me,

16" MBP

Razer Core X

Vega 64

I get lost on this forum trying different setups only to find it doesn't work for 16" or for vega 64. Vega 64 seems to get error 12 further than other cards

Can you please tell me the steps I need to get this setup working, which version of windows and which bootcamp drivers, and anything else!?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Arizor
(@arizor)
Eminent Member

Hey @MakeTheMostOfLife ,

Just first things first: my setup is eGPU to LG27 inch external 4k monitor via Display Port.

I Bootcamp install 1903 from an ISO, then, literally as soon as I'm into Windows, disable automatic update from the Group Policy editor (gpedit).

Then, I do manually enable the current 'Fast Insider' within Insider Updates. I download and install that (literally the latest Fast Insider release available as of typing).

Next, I jump into MacOS, and do the EFI Loader -  https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/macbook-pro-16-windows-egpu-error-12-fix/  

Once that's done, I reboot, holding OPTION key down to access the boot menu.

Once boot menu is available, I select the 'Windows' partition. the EFI loader loads, and I plug in my eGPU to the left side uppermost port. Once 'Vega64' pops in within the EFI boot menu, I tap a key (or you can just let the timer count down and auto load).

Windows loads up. Now, I use DDU to uninstall all AMD video drivers.

Reboot, follow the same boot up as before with eGPU plugged in (i.e. I don't unplug and replug, I just leave it plugged in between boots).

Install BootCampDrivers.com April Red edition.

Once installation is finished, I swap the eGPU from left side to right side. Wait for the various Windows pings signalling installation, let it try. At this point it will still show an error 12.

Once that finishes (leave it about 10 seconds, more or less), I plug back into the left side uppermost port. Bingo, my external monitor starts running.

ReplyQuote
MakeTheMostOfLife
(@makethemostoflife)

@arizor

Thank you so much... A step by step like that is exactly what I need! I have it connected via display port to a monitor and used to have the Vega 64, Razer Core X, Bootcamp setup working on my old 15" MBP, but for the life of me couldn't get the same setup working on the new 16"

When I see how complicated it is though with port switching at the end I don't feel so bad!

Thanks again Smile

Arizor liked
ReplyQuote
Arizor
(@arizor)
Eminent Member

No worries mate. Remember once that's all done, just keep ignoring updates when they pop from the sidebar (set your Group Policy for updates to "manually notify" (option 2) if that is something you haven't done before).

ReplyQuote
MakeTheMostOfLife
(@makethemostoflife)

@arizor

Ok, so I'm in a new pickle.  I already had Windows fast insider installed but with blue bootcamp drivers.  I followed the steps with the EFI Loader and the port switching and finally, everything was working on the monitor. Did a bunch of benchmarks Valley was pretty good but some in game benchmarks were jerky and really erratic FPS. So I followed the steps removing the blue driver with DDU, and installed the red april 2020.  

But, now I can't get back into windows with the egpu plugged in 🙁 I have it plugged into top left on boot (all ports same issue) and EFI loader picks up the Vega and then after countdown goes to black screen.  Even if i unplug the egpu on the EFI screen, it goes to black screen.  If no egpu is plugged in at all, after EFI loader screen straight the windows logo comes up and it boots into windows no problem, but then have the error 12.

Do you have any advice on which process is causing the issue?

ReplyQuote
Arizor
(@arizor)
Eminent Member

@MakeTheMostOfLife ,

Turn off your machine and unplug your eGPU. Boot up, holding OPTION, select your Windows partition. When the EFI boot menu loads, press 'Z' to skip it.

Windows should now load on your MacBook screen (it might load into Windows Recovery, if so just select the option to reboot into Windows and repeat the above process).

Once you're in Windows, install the April Red drivers.

Reboot, at the EFI boot plug in your eGPU and hit a key to load. Should be ok. 

ReplyQuote
MakeTheMostOfLife
(@makethemostoflife)

@arizor

I already had the April Red drivers installed and have the problem :/ 

I have since tried DDU to uninstall and reinstall the April Red - still black screen

I used DDU to uninstall the Red and go back to April Blue and now this doesn't work either.  This gives a black screen after the EFI loader screen.  I don't know if it's anything to do with when it was working I set the display to only show on the external monitor? Now that triggers and turns off the internal display but the setup is not finished on the external for that to work either. That really doesn't make much sense, but I don't know what has caused this. There just doesn't seem to be any way to get past the EFI screen into windows with the EGPU already plugged in. It goes black if do nothing. It goes black if its plugged in and press Z to skip, and goes black if was plugged in on EFI screen but taken out before pressing a key.

Think is enough messing about today. Will have to start again with a fresh install of windows tomorrow and follow the steps through from scratch  

ReplyQuote
 of  2