How To Install Windows 11 on Macs (Boot Camp)
Microsoft released the first Insider Build of Windows 11 (22000.51) earlier this week. To be receiving this build, you'd need to enroll in the Dev Channel of Windows Insider Program. That was only one of the prerequisites. Amongst the minimum system requirements is TPM 2.0. This is a questionable barrier and most likely imposed by OEMs to promote new hardware sales. It also negatively effects Intel Macs because Apple firmware does not support TPM.
Fortunately, there are ways to trick the Windows 11 installer in to bypassing these system requirements. I tried it on several machines including 2018 Mac mini and 2019 13-in MacBook Pro. Below are the steps I took to successfully getting my Macs upgraded to Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22000.51.
- Complete a Windows 10 install through Boot Camp Assistant and install Boot Camp drivers.
- Enroll in Windows Insider Program and select the Dev Channel then install available updates.
- Create a REG file in Notepad with the output below, double-click to add to values to the registry then restart.
- Open Windows Updates to check for Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22000.51 and proceed with download.
- When the download stops at 8% with a message that it has encountered TPM 2.0 error 0x8024a205, download the modified appraiserres.dll to replace the one in C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources folder.
- Restart the system and click the [Retry/Fix Issues] button in Windows Updates.
- Windows 11 installer should proceed when the Almost Ready message appears.
rename appraiserres to appraiserRes.dll and it will work.
for those who don't know how to make a reg file in notepad look it up mostly copy and paste.
I don't think you're able to do this if you've updated to the latest Windows release. This is the only thing I see inside "Release Preview Channel"
Edition Windows 10 Pro N
Installed on 1/01/2021
OS build 19043.1083
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0
Replacing appraiserres.dll doesn't works for me: everytime when the "Windows 11 Update" window appears it atuomatically replace the file back to the original one, and the TPM 2.0 warning shows again.🙁
Thanks @itsage, For some reason the .reg file did not work so I opened regedit with admin and changed manually. Anyways, currently downloading Windows 11 Preview through Windows update!
I'm getting the same issue as another commenter. Every time I try to update, it fails and reverts the appraiserres.dll file to its original version. Is it possible to prevent this? I know I am trying to update to a later version of windows 11. Did windows patch this out? I also tried a separate guide not specifically for bootcamp, involving creating a new entry in the registry. https://windowsreport.com/install-windows-11-without-tpm/ If you want to read it. I'm going to try the ISO modification method next but we will see.