Notifications
Clear all

How to set an egpu on imac 5k 2017?  

of  5
  RSS

cuppino
(@cuppino)
Trusted Member

I attach a screen of the ingame egpu (I have no other software to do the tests).
The egpu seems to work, but for some reason it does not go to the max.
I have only updated the drivers from the Windows device manager, but I can not update the "radeon settings" software. Could it depend on this reason?
How can I also update "radeon settings"?
In my opinion, the solution is to be searched by software.
Maybe it does not depend on "radeon settings", but I think it's software, otherwise it does not really have to work the egpu.
What do you think?

iMac 27" 5k 2019 (i9 9900k 3,6ghz, 40gb ram ddr4 2666 mhz, ssd 1tb, dgpu Radeon pro vega 48 8gb), Egpu: Razer Core X with ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core
Osx 10.15.5
Windows 10 pro 2004 - 19041.329 (bootcamp with external ssd 1tb Samsung evo 860)

ReplyQuote
cuppino
(@cuppino)
Trusted Member

I attach a screen of the ingame egpu (I have no other software to do the tests).
The egpu seems to work, but for some reason it does not go to the max.
I have only updated the drivers from the Windows device manager, but I can not update the "radeon settings" software. Could it depend on this reason?
How can I also update "radeon settings"?
In my opinion, the solution is to be searched by software.
Maybe it does not depend on "radeon settings", but I think it's software, otherwise it does not really have to work the egpu.
What do you think?

Cattura33

iMac 27" 5k 2019 (i9 9900k 3,6ghz, 40gb ram ddr4 2666 mhz, ssd 1tb, dgpu Radeon pro vega 48 8gb), Egpu: Razer Core X with ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core
Osx 10.15.5
Windows 10 pro 2004 - 19041.329 (bootcamp with external ssd 1tb Samsung evo 860)

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member

First thing first, the game performance is very difficult to diagnose.
That why many of us talk benchmarks, such as Heaven.

You can get it from here.
https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven

Try this out and see how well your GPU handles it.
If you see that benchmark gets good result, but the game does not, then you know the problem is most likely the game.
Or vice versa.

As to how you can update the Radeon Settings, you need to use the AMD’s installer. 

J

2017 27" iMac 5K (RP580) [7th,4C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
cuppino
(@cuppino)
Trusted Member

I modified the inserted file EnableFalcon = true but the dirver installs them (I checked) but when I open the radeon settings it says that the software version does not match the driver version.
I am using the latest version of the amd drivers.
I have also re-formatted windows, but the thing persists.
However, the drivers installed them.
In your opinion, will I be able to get everything done properly or do I have to give up?
I am downloading the software you have shown me to check the performance

Osx 10.15.5

ReplyQuote
cuppino
(@cuppino)
Trusted Member

Posted by: Jyin

If you see that benchmark gets good result, but the game does not, then you know the problem is most likely the game.
Or vice versa.

As to how you can update the Radeon Settings, you need to use the AMD’s installer. 

J

my score was 647! LOL!
I set 3840x2160, ultra aa8x

Osx 10.15.5

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: cuppino
Posted by: Jyin

Or vice versa.

J

my score was 647! LOL!
I set 3840x2160, ultra aa8x

How did the GPU behave?
Did you get it to 100% usage?

I will run mine with same settings and post my score when I get a chance.

J

2017 27" iMac 5K (RP580) [7th,4C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: cuppino

I modified the inserted file EnableFalcon = true but the dirver installs them (I checked) but when I open the radeon settings it says that the software version does not match the driver version.
I am using the latest version of the amd drivers.
I have also re-formatted windows, but the thing persists.
However, the drivers installed them.
In your opinion, will I be able to get everything done properly or do I have to give up?
I am downloading the software you have shown me to check the performance

Ah you’ve managed to mess up the registry.
Let me digg up my notes on how to fix this one.

I will get back to you.

J

ReplyQuote
cuppino
(@cuppino)
Trusted Member

the gpu goes to 100% during the test (full screen).
I have no more ideas frankly.
As soon as you can let me know how to fix the registry.
I believe that after this there are no other solutions.
The egpu works, but something blocks its real power.

Osx 10.15.5

ReplyQuote
Jyin
 Jyin
(@jyin)
Estimable Member

Go To

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AMD\CN\DriverVersion

Make it blank and reboot.
That shoud fix your registry.

For the score in Heaven, at 4k Ultra, mid 600s are what you would expect.J

J

ReplyQuote
cuppino
(@cuppino)
Trusted Member

I thank you for all the support you gave me. Now radeon settings also work, but the performance of the egpu remains very bad.
At this point I give up.
I knew that bootcamp would be difficult, but I find it absurd that the dgpu goes better than the egpu.
Pes is a very light game and I make a maximum of 26 fps with the egpu. With the 60 fps dgpu!
Maybe I'll try to activate the game mode of windows, just for one last try.
But I already know it will not do any good.
I spent almost $ 800 for the box and card but I was unlucky with the performances.
I'll try again when and if there will be an official support for bootcamp.
I've formatted windows at least 30 times for all the tests I've done.
For now, I return everything to amazon.
Thank you all for your help.
Sorry also the outburst, but I'm really very disappointed and frustrated by so much effort done unnecessarily.

Osx 10.15.5

ReplyQuote
 of  5