Notifications
Clear all

iMac 5k 2017 - What options for internal display only  

RSS

Jooj
 Jooj
(@jooj)

Hello everyone, 

After receiving my Razer and 5700XT, I was surprised by the amount of work needed to make it work under win10. It was very seamless on macOS but I really bought the eGPU to game in windows. 

I've been looking at various solutions on this forum which are very helpful but I'm still stuck with the Error 12 issue. I only have the space for the iMac and I can't add an external monitor. 

So far, I've tried the following solutions: 

-Used DDU and installed the drivers from bootcampdrivers. The red one would give me a split screen so I had to go with the blue ones to avoid that issue. 

- Tried the latest version of Win10, tried the fast ring one and also went down to the 1903 (completely reformatted the drive and did a clean install)

I still will try the 1803 to see if there is a solution there. 

I believe I'm faced with 3 options: 

- find a way to make the current setup work through a solution that I haven't tried yet

- return the card and go for Nvidia. I haven't seen confirmation that it would work with the internal screen only. I don't really need to the eGPU in MacOS so Windows is my priority here

- give up and stick to the internal card

What would you advice me to do and what can I try to make it work? I'd be very grateful for any help I could get. 

Just to confirm, I  have a 2017 5k iMac 27" with the Radeon 575 installed. I bought a Razer Core X enclosure with an Asus RX 5700XT OC graphic card. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Your best, and only real viable option I believe is to return the card and go Nvidia.

I (as well as others -itsage) found that the performance loss with Navi cards using internal screens is far greater than other cards so not really worth the cost/hassle.

I'd recommend grabbing an RTX card for Windows as they tend to be way easier to set up.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Jooj
 Jooj
(@jooj)

I just tried windows 1803 and I know have the error 12 on the dGPU! In the Radeon app it finally sees the eGPU.

However the system is not using the egpu and the performance is worse than before. Not sure what is going on and it’s unlike anything I’ve seen here before. 

Posted by: @eightarmedpet

Your best, and only real viable option I believe is to return the card and go Nvidia.

I (as well as others -itsage) found that the performance loss with Navi cards using internal screens is far greater than other cards so not really worth the cost/hassle.

I'd recommend grabbing an RTX card for Windows as they tend to be way easier to set up.

Which card do you recommend? The 2080 is rather expensive. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jooj, I agree with @eightarmedpet. The best value Nvidia graphics card at the moment is RTX 2070 Super. The cost should be fairly close to RX 5700 XT.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jooj
 Jooj
(@jooj)

Posted by: @itsage

@jooj, I agree with @eightarmedpet. The best value Nvidia graphics card at the moment is RTX 2070 Super. The cost should be fairly close to RX 5700 XT.

Thank you. I just gave up and ordered one from PNY.

ReplyQuote
Jooj
 Jooj
(@jooj)

The Nvidia card is almost plug and play with microsoft. It's quite a difference between AMD in what I had to do. 

The only issue that I have is that I can't open the control panel. It says that there is no gpu however I can confirm that the system is using it. It's been great so far. 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jooj, In order to open the Nvidia Control Panel, there has to be a connected display to the Nvidia eGPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jooj
 Jooj
(@jooj)

Posted by: @itsage

@jooj, In order to open the Nvidia Control Panel, there has to be a connected display to the Nvidia eGPU.

Is it worth buying a dongle or is it better to just leave it alone? 

I've also noticed that I get an error 12 if I keep my TB3 hard drive connected. Everything goes back to normal once it is disconnected. Not a big deal for me as the drive are formatted for macOS anyway but I just wanted to mention it for other that could have the same issue. The drive is an Akitio TB3 enclosure with 4 SSD in raid. 

ReplyQuote