iMac 5K late 2014, Win10 Bootcamp, internal display lag issue when eGPU is conne...

Notifications
Clear all

iMac 5K late 2014, Win10 Bootcamp, internal display lag issue when eGPU is connected  

RSS

yellowsub
(@yellowsub)

My set up is iMac 5k late 2014, Akitio Node, MSI GTX980Ti. More info can be found here: https://egpu.io/forums/pc-gaming/imac-5k-late-2014-akitio-node-gtx-980ti-external-monitor/

The GTX980Ti is powering the external monitor, and the internal M295X is powering the 5K display.

There is a lag issue with this two display/GPU set up on Win10 Bootcamp:

1) When the eGPU is connected (even when idle), the 5k display becomes quite laggy. I have to decrease the desktop resolution to 1440p to achieve an "acceptable" level. But it is still noticeable.

2) If I play Youtube video on the 5K display, the external display also becomes a little bit laggy, although not as serious as the 5K display.

3) The external monitor has no lag at all when the 5K display/internal GPU is idle.

Are there any possible solutions/ explanations to this problem? I was hoping to use the external monitor/eGPU for gaming, while the 5K display can be used for other thing as its image quality is way better. Thanks in advance for help!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
moonbuilt
(@moonbuilt)

I have the same issues on my iMac 5k late 2015/AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box in both W10 (version 1703) and macOS (10.12.6). I can't stand the lag and switch to the external monitor entirely when using the eGPU. I've only had this setup up and running for a day or so and will report back if I find a solution. So far, lowering the resolution or just using the external display seems to be the way to go.  

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote