iMac (Late 2013) 27" i7 GTX775M with KFA2 Snpr GTX 1060 6Gb on Win 10

Notifications
Clear all

iMac (Late 2013) 27" i7 GTX775M with KFA2 Snpr GTX 1060 6Gb on Win 10  

RSS

NicoNico78
(@niconico78)

Hello everyone,

first of all, I've been trying to find an answer for a couple of hours now but can't seem to find one so I'm sorry if I didn't do my research correctly and there is one somewhere on the site ^^

So, I have this machine :

iMac (Late 2013) i7-4771 3,5GHz

24Go RAM DDR3

GeForce GTX775M 2Gb

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

and I wanted to give this bad boy kind of a spec boost by using an eGPU. So I found this all-in-one solution that seemed pretty good for what I wanted and was also a very good deal :

KFA2 Snpr enclosure with GeForce GTX1060 6Gb

The thing is that, for the moment, I want to use my internal display as I don't have an external monitor.

So I bought a Thunderbolt 2 adapter, bypassed the SIP of the iMac, installed Purge Wrangler, installed the 1060, installed the set -eGpu script and, voilà, everything works like a charm on Mac OS ! It was a simple and smooth process and I can't thank enough everyone who happened to make this work so flawlessly !

But I can't seem to make it work on Win10 Bootcamp.

I didn't do anything special on the Windows part, no special script or anything, it is just a normal Win10 install and the version is 19041.685.

When I plug the eGpu in, Win10 detects and installs it correctly (so it seems anyway) but when I reboot, The 775M is automatically disabled by the nVidia software and Win10 switches to Windows Basic Display as the main display device. I mean, it makes sense as it needs an internal display to display anything on screen but the problem is that when it's like that, I'm stuck with a screen resolution of 1440p (the native resolution of the iMac screen) and can't change it (it's greyed out in the display tab).

And when I try to run a game, well the game is set to 1440p and I can't change that either.

So, my question is, is there something I'm doing wrong (I guess yes ^^) or do I have to use an external monitor because I don't have an iGPU ? Or maybe can I use a dummy external monitor adapter ?

Any help is welcome !

Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
NicoNico78
(@niconico78)

UPDATE :

Ok, so I actually managed to make it work ^^

So, maybe for those who are in my situation, iI hope I don't mss the different steps :

- if you've tried to install the eGPU before, uninstall all your drivers with DDU, reboot your computer on Win10 without the eGPU and let the system re-install your GPU (the 775M for me)

- once it's done, shut down your computer. Plug your eGPU in and switch it on. Boot your computer and go on Win10.

- it should install your eGPU and ask you to restart. Do not restart. Deactivate the eGPU using Device Manager.

- I don't know if it's a must but, in the Device Manager right-click on your GPU and check the drivers. It should say that there's a problem with it since it downloaded the latest drivers for your brand new eGPU. Switch back to the prior version of the drivers. It should fix the issue.

- go to nVidia and search for the latest version of the drivers that your two GPUs have in common. Mine was 425.31. Download it.

- Install the drivers. Your GPU should be happy but not your eGPU. Simply Deactivate it and Activate it.

- Both GPUs should be here, alive and kicking.

I really hope I didn't mess up the steps, sorry if that's the case.

For the record, I was playing Cyberpunk 2077 with my 775M and was getting pretty poor performances with low settings and now I'm getting some pretty descent performances with medium settings on my 1060 on internal display so, yah, it's pretty cool ^^

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote