(SOLVED) - iMac (late 2015) 27" 4K + Radeon 5700XT (Bootcamp)

Notifications
Clear all

(SOLVED) - iMac (late 2015) 27" 4K + Radeon 5700XT (Bootcamp)  

RSS

nirvanich
(@nirvanich)

This forum is the best I've seen so far for people like me who is trying to find a solution to make my eGPU work in Bootcamp

iMac (late 2015) 27" 5K - 32Gb RAM, iOS Catalina 10.15.7 -> thunderbolt 2 cable/to thunderbolt 3 adapter

ASUS Radeon 5700XT 8Gb + Razer Core X

Bootcamp - Windows 10 /build 18362

No extra monitor/screen/TV

Tried initially in iOS Catalina - couldn't see eGPU - patched with Purge-Wrangler = iOS can see Radeon 5700XT, but doesn't look like it can use it.

A couple of reboots and started to use eGPU - tried TROY and Sudden Strike 4 games, all good. TROY was running in 5K - with a little lag but it did run in iOS.

Anyway, the question is about Bootcamp+eGPU.

1. DDU first, cleaned all official AMD bootcamp drivers. Reboot. 

2. Bootcamp Windows recognised 2x videoadapers as generic. Installed the AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com

3. Eventually Windows device manager did show me a normal dGPU Radeon M395 and "abnormal" Radeon 5700XT with error 12

4. I tried   automate-eGPU EFI , then tried to fix it with necessary fix. Then avoided "If you are on macOS 10.15.1 or newerDO NOT choose AMD as GPU vendor - just choose NVIDIA", created a new EFI boot USB with AMD. The more I tired the worse it looked. Eventually, bootcamp Windows did show only one Intel 530 videocard/chip ??? I don't have it. All my drivers were vanished after each attempt, not sure why. I didn't use DDU every time, but installed AMD drivers from bootcampdrivers.com again and again. I think I didn't suppose to do this EFI anyway because my Windows bootcamp successfully recognised Radeon 5700XT, just with error 12, no large memory

During all of this, my eGPU was always on, didn't turn it off because I forgot.

5. I reached to the point that the next thing is DSDT override. Automate-eGPU EFI was already done.

Followed the instructions from https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/#step2

Step 1 was finished with heaps of problems.

I got my initial dsdt.dat file in another way: I used acpidump.exe for that manually.

Make sure your IASL file is in the DSDT folder for scripts to run smoothly.

Stuck with syntax errors - but found Pravalorius DSDT file for iMac and compared the errors. As a result - nil errors, just some warnings.

Unfortunately, nothing worked - neither registry override nor in-memory substitution through CLOVER.....

eGPU Setup 1.35 is next?

6. Tried https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/mbp-2019-late-razer-core-x-amd-rx-5700-xt-hackflags-0x600-worked-for-me/

HackFlags 0x600 didn't work

7. Replaced my PCI.SYS file with the old one - the whole system crashed

8. Tried to use again   DSDT override +    automate-eGPU EFI from USB = don't know what happened but it worked!

Large memory, The drivers are the latest from bootcampdrivers.com. It recognised both videoadapters with no issues

The issue was - Windows and apps/games did not want to use eGPU. I turned off my iGPU in Device manager - reboot. eGPU still there, but not functioning..... no use , 0% of memory, 0% of GPU. Tried that stuff in Windows graphics preferences - nothing worked for me so far. Turned back iGPU - the system can see both videoadapters again , but using only iGPU.

Bootcamp drivers from AMD.com - does not work

Old original AMD adrenalin 19.3.1 - does not work, can't find it on bootcampdrivers.com

Installed Nov 2019 drivers from bootcampdrivers.com - it's the oldest I've found there.

9. Success !!!!! Running GTA 5 smoothly, it can see 8Gb in the settings, all good.

The same with Red dead redemption 2 and Cyberpunk 2077. It looks like people are struggling to run Cyberpunk 2077 nowadays...

Both iGPU and eGPU are turned on ))))))))))))

AMD X connect app asked me to reboot twice, but it's working !!!!

Now I need to show you a proof - screenshots and benchmarks numbers I guess....

iMac 27" 5K (late 2015) + Razer Core X + Asus Radeon 5700XT

2015 27" iMac (R9 390) [6th,4C] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.7 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Susurs
(@susurs)
Trusted Member

@nirvanich Thank you a lot for the guide!

So, what is the final stable setup method which works?

I see that the key factor was using 2019 driver from Bootcamp.

However, what are the other final, complete setup parameters for working eGPU?

Does the 2019 driver work in conjunction with set_apple_os, hackflags or other methods? Are you able to cold-boot it? Which exact method is working - DSDT + set_apple_os + 2019 driver?

What is the final W10 version you got working with the eGPU? 1903 / OS build 18362?

This post was modified 2 months ago

|| Mac mini 2018, i7, 32GB || macOS 10.15.7 || Bootcamp W10 20H2 || Sonnet Puck RX 5700 eGPU ||

ReplyQuote
nirvanich
(@nirvanich)

if to be short - https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2015-27-imac-r390x-i7-32gb-ram-asus-radeon-5700xt-t2-razer-core-x-win10/

set_apple_os, hackflags didn't work for me - so, no

DSDT modified file instead of set_apple_os

This post was modified 2 months ago

2015 27" iMac (R9 390) [6th,4C] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.7 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Susurs
(@susurs)
Trusted Member

Ok, got it!

But are you able to cold-boot (eGPU attached always), reboot, boot to macOS and back to Bootcamp with this setup now? Is it stable and works every time / most of the time?

|| Mac mini 2018, i7, 32GB || macOS 10.15.7 || Bootcamp W10 20H2 || Sonnet Puck RX 5700 eGPU ||

ReplyQuote
nirvanich
(@nirvanich)

@susurs, yes cold-boot - eGPU is always on, boot to iOS without   automate-eGPU EFI

it is stable for 100%, nil crashes, for me at least

I switch between Windows and iOS quite often - nil issues. 

Only upset about low FPS for Red dead redemption 2.....

Susurs liked
ReplyQuote