Installing Windows (May 2021 update) via bootcamp with my Vega 64

Notifications
Clear all

Installing Windows (May 2021 update) via bootcamp with my Vega 64  

RSS

Adam Ash
(@adam_ash)

Hey guys.

I've tried finding an answer to this but I cannot see one, which probably means it's not possible, but thought I'd ask nonetheless.

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018), 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3. Attached to my MacBook is a Vega 64 in a Core X. I want to instal Windows via Bootcamp for games, but the only Windows I can download seems to be the May 2021 update, but I cannot see anything anywhere which says this combination will play nice.

I think the best I found was a February update which was confirmed as working. So, will this version of Windows work with my setup, or if not how do I get the February version and stop it updating?

Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
cgWerks
(@cgwerks)
Trusted Member

The top of this post has info on getting a different version/installer for Windows, as well as disabling the updates:

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/egpu-fail-after-update-to-windows-19-03/

If you have Windows Pro, you can just run gpedit. If you have home, you can install it:

https://www.itechtics.com/enable-gpedit-windows-10-home/

Hope that helps!

As of July 24, 2021: 2018 Mac mini (i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) - Blackmagic eGPU (RX580) - Mojave 10.14.6 - (haven't succeeded past Win10 1809)

Adam Ash liked
ReplyQuote
Adam Ash
(@adam_ash)

@cgwerks, nice one, thanks. Installed and working perfectly. I didn't have to do any of that weird stuff in the threads, I just installed Windows and my Vega is working fine. Nice.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

cgWerks liked
ReplyQuote
cgWerks
(@cgwerks)
Trusted Member

@adam_ash, Wow, congrats! I'd say you got lucky, but maybe you researched it and bought the right stuff. Some people seem to have way better going than others, and it probably comes down to the particular GPU and enclosure, as well as Mac model.

I had mine going back in late 2018 (after first buying it) for about 1.5 years until a Windows update (which it kind of forced) took it out. So, I've learned my lesson on letting Windows decide. I just got it running again about a week or so ago (I'll bet I spent 50-60 hours mucking with it), but had to go back to 1809. I'm going to keep experimenting with newer versions, but they don't seem to like my Blackmagic eGPU. But, at least it is running again for what I need to do with it.

As of July 24, 2021: 2018 Mac mini (i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) - Blackmagic eGPU (RX580) - Mojave 10.14.6 - (haven't succeeded past Win10 1809)

ReplyQuote