Intermittent freezes when laptop display is shut with eGPU tbMBP 13" 2016

Notifications
Clear all

Intermittent freezes when laptop display is shut with eGPU tbMBP 13" 2016  

RSS

Toasty
(@toasty)

Hi,
I've managed to get my eGPU to work most of the time in Windows under bootcamp but I'm having a weird issue with GTA 5, Fallout 4 and Skyrim, when I have my laptops display closed which improves performance the games will intermittently freeze until I lift the lid to activate the internal display, however sometimes it doesn't happen and other times it will happen every 5 to 10 minutes. 

I have the HP Omen accelerator and I'm using Windows 10 1709 with the latest bootcamp Intel driver and latest Nvidia driver on a TouchBar 2016 MacBook Pro 13" with the right hand thunderbolt 3 ports disabled and the FaceTime camera disabled.

Thanks in advance.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
zmyslony
(@zmyslony)
Eminent Member

How do you plug external screen? HDMI? 
It might be issue with nvidia newest drivers and HDMI cable. I suggest you change HDMI for DP, or try older geforce drivers.

You can also try with battery plan settings, and make sure that in geforce settings it's set to launch everything on Geforce Graphics (eGPU).

13" MacBook Pro + MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Duke (Razer Core X)

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Toasty
(@toasty)

My GPU is already plugged in with DP, last night I did a DDU and installed fresh Intel and Nvidia drivers... I did think it might be something to do with the power settings however I haven’t managed to find a setting that solves it, I initially thought that it was going into some form of sleep state or that the CPU was idling because the display was shut but no luck...

I’ll try installing an older version of the Nvidia driver though and see if that solves it.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Toasty
(@toasty)

Right so an update, I have installed driver version 390.77 downgraded from version 398 for my 1070ti and that hasn’t cured it in GTA 5 however whilst I was playing fallout 4 I had no encounters with the freezing... interestingly I experienced the freeze just as train simulator crashed because it was out of memory... This is very weird and I’m wondering as my MBP was a refurb could it be an issue with the laptop itself? Has anyone else experienced this? The driver is set up to just use the eGPU... Could it be an issue with my enclosure? Oh could it be because I have my M+KB plugged into the enclosures USB ports?
sorry if this reply is a bit chaotic...

ReplyQuote
zmyslony
(@zmyslony)
Eminent Member

The problem also occurs in normal windows notebooks with dGPU.
Try disabling the Intel Graphics in the Device Manager. It helped me. You can enable this right away or leave the intel disabled.

13" MacBook Pro + MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Duke (Razer Core X)

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote