Is Windows 10 1903 still the preferred "known good" Bootcamp version, or does it...

Notifications
Clear all

Is Windows 10 1903 still the preferred "known good" Bootcamp version, or does it have a successor?  

RSS

Leovinus
(@leovinus)
Estimable Member

As the title suggests I'm looking for the latest known functioning version of Windows to install through Bootcamp in Big Sur.

I've tried using Boot Camp ISO Converter to manage the size of the install.wim, to no avail (though this might be an unrelated issue perhaps?)

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@leovinus

The latest 2004 20H2 version of Windows works with Big Sur. 

eGPU support is great on the Intel Mac Mini.

https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/easy-windows-2004-20h2-egpu-easy-setup-in-apple-bootcamp-with-amd-navi-cards-2018-mac-mini-easy-easy/#post-94021

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

Leovinus liked
ReplyQuote
Denis Estevez
(@denis_estevez)

I also have this question. I believe the Mac mini has different internal graphics than a MacBook Pro 16 2020 (Intel). I’m running AMD 5600M and 5700XT but I get the dreaded error 12. Any ideas? I need to be able to run game pass. Will I ever get this working?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mickey G
(@mickey_g)

I have this question as well, running a 2020 macbook pro with intel processor, and an amd rx580.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Leovinus
(@leovinus)
Estimable Member

Well, I followed @mini-i5 and his advice. The latest edition from microsoft worked like a charm.

@denis_estevez I'm sorry I can't say I can help you personally, but you're on the right board to find answers. There are a few guides and solutions for getting around Code 12 though, have a look see and I'm sure you'll find something.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ced95
(@ced95)

@denis_estevez, hello have you found a solution since I have the same configuration as you

ReplyQuote
Denis Estevez
(@denis_estevez)

@ced95, no, I gave up after endless trying :(! I feel so sad and awful for having a piece of kit intended for the purpose and not being able to fully utilise it. I managed to snap an offer on a Sonnet egpu 750ex, so i have two enclosures now cluttering the house. So I'm hoping to install the rx5700xt on one (for mac purposes), and an nvidia on the second (for windows/gaming purposes).

As I tried my old GFX680 and that worked without fuss.

I'm also frustrated as I can't flash my 5700xt card for OC, or run the software from amd for controlling its led colours etc. And I don't have (nor want) to have a PC lying around the house just to do this.

Please do come back if you do find the solution.

It got to the stage where i honestly exhausted trying every combination and solution post I read about here and/or elsewhere, and that i could think of for myself as well.

Also rolling back the windows 10 version was not an option for me as i wanted to run MFS2020 O:)! Still, i also tried that as well for the heck of it, and various other w10 versions, but to no success either. 

I figured having two similar AMD cards was really the issue in that windows wasn't allowing it or not finding resources for it - rather odd since in mac you CAN :s. But even disabling the internal card fully would not even resolve the 12 error code issue.

I literally spent days, and nearly a week performing combination of possibilities and troubleshooting. And I also read another poster who gave up. My hope is a W10 update or amd drivers may fix it one day...?

Btw, i'm also getting back to @Leovinus with this post reply

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
Ced95
(@ced95)

@denis_estevez,

[Please login to see this]

ReplyQuote
Denis Estevez
(@denis_estevez)

@ced95, 1903 is still no good for me, besides, why? 20H is the current one!

ReplyQuote
Ced95
(@ced95)

@denis_estevez,

[Please login to see this]

ReplyQuote