Late 2016 15-in MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

Notifications
Clear all

Late 2016 15-in MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

As interest and demand for eGPU increase, we have grown in our global reach - 1.72 millions users in 2019. That comes with many new posts and some of them are repeated questions. The existing discussions and solutions for many systems are great but finding them isn't always easy. Things get more confusing when both Apple and Microsoft introduce constant changes through software and firmware updates. One of our projects in 2020 is to organize existing resources so that new users can find the information they need quicker.

Master thread for each Computer + eGPU is the way to go. I'm starting with the late 2016 15-in MacBook Pro [Technical Specs] because I have used it in the past three years and learnt many things (eGPU related) on it. This is a community effort and we'd like members to start master threads of their systems. The requirement is at least 6 months of use. Relevant discussions to a particular computer model will be merged into these topics.

There's no set posting format or assigned sub-forum atm. We welcome feedback to make things as easy for new members as possible. For this late 2016 15-in MBP, I'm posting it in Bootcamp eGPU Setup subforum because it's a Thunderbolt 3 Mac system which has native macOS support but setting up eGPU in Windows is a chore. Therefore the most interest for this model is bootcamp related discussions. Included in the master thread is a table of user builds to serve as a quick reference to matching [system + enclosure + eGPU]. We will also update the OP with common issues, new solutions and/or set up procedures.

We are also cross-posting master threads on the website frontend. That will give them more visibility. Please link to these topics whenever you find appropriate. For now they are a News article that gets interlinked with resource articles. Eventually there will be a TOP NAV Menu item with drop-down for different systems. When we created eGPU.io 3 years ago, our day-1 mission was to make eGPU easy and accessible to all. This focus has not changed. Ultimately we want to organize not only by the host systems but also eGPU enclosures, and graphics cards.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Look forward to seeing how these pan out. Feels to me that there are so many variables with eGPU set ups a single core resource per laptop covering all possibilities is going to be a challenge, but an achievable one. 

I’ve had so many minor differences in my set up it’s hard to keep track of them, these type of resources would defo help. 

For example - I had issues with the efi bootloader, I assumed it was software, or magic, but think it may have been down to my old Razer core V1, maybe. 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@eightarmedpet I completely agree. One topic for everything 2016 15-in MacBook Pro related is not going to work. The plan is to collect and post most relevant information about this laptop in the OP so that new users can get started without going down the wrong path. The current Error 12 with Win10 1903 is a good example to follow. It started out as a fairly straight-forward error 12 in Boot Camp on a 2018 Mac mini. We then determined it affects many more systems rather than just Macs running Windows. Different approaches to restore, rollback, stop updates, and eventually a solution was found (pci.sys replacement). The OP of that topic was updated to reflect new findings and we don't see that many posts on it anymore. New visitors were able to find the solution.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage

Interested to see how this turns out. Really appreciated the updates on the main post regarding findings for the error 12 issue with Windows 1903. With multiple master guides though it might not be scalable to keep them updated. Also I do suggest a separate subforum/section for these (maybe under Builds?) for more organization. 

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mac_editor We're still figuring out how to best organize these new master threads. Once there's a dozen or so of them, it's not a bad idea to have their own sub forum as you suggested. The idea is for more members to create and maintain these topics. For example you have used the 2018 15" MacBook Pro for a while and would be a great source to start a master thread for it.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

itsage liked
ReplyQuote